Asus Chromebox CN62 (Broadwell)
(2015-06-03, 23:39)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 23:14)movie78 Wrote: New Chromebox..

Hope this one has better graphics processor than the old model...

that's kind of an odd statement, without any qualification, but the specs of the GPU in the Broadwell 3205U have already been well documented and it's been pretty thoroughly tested, so one can simply read the reviews rather than hoping.

My guess would be that it was the lack of MVC support for 3D considering who the poster is.
(2015-06-04, 11:21)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 23:39)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 23:14)movie78 Wrote: New Chromebox..

Hope this one has better graphics processor than the old model...

that's kind of an odd statement, without any qualification, but the specs of the GPU in the Broadwell 3205U have already been well documented and it's been pretty thoroughly tested, so one can simply read the reviews rather than hoping.

My guess would be that it was the lack of MVC support for 3D considering who the poster is.

Not entirely true.Angel

Matt doesn't when you criticize the Chromebox.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-06-04, 11:21)jjd-uk Wrote: My guess would be that it was the lack of MVC support for 3D considering who the poster is.

can't be:

(2015-06-04, 15:01)movie78 Wrote: Not entirely true.Angel

Matt doesn't when you criticize the Chromebox.

you didn't criticize the ChromeBox, you made a statement that is completely devoid of any meaning without context, which you didn't provide. It could have been in a thread about a new NUC and it would have been just as meaningless. And my response would have been exactly the same - we know the specs, and the GPU has been tested, so there's no need to 'hope.'
I would not invest _any_ money into a Broadwell. Especially as the new atom braswell has real HEVC support, even on linux. But on linux the ffmpeg hwaccel is still missing ... I personally go with a 3150 Braswell, when available.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-06-04, 18:35)fritsch Wrote: Especially as the new atom braswell has real HEVC support, even on linux. But on linux the ffmpeg hwaccel is still missing ...

Hi fritsch,

If I read you correctly here and there, HEVC HW decoding is ready in VAAPI for the Braswell and Skylake chips but it is not yet implemented in ffmpeg, so for now there is no Intel HW decoding in linux versions of Kodi for these chips.
Is it that ffmpeg team has not enough information from Intel to work on it ?
Will they have to wait for the first machines equipped with these chips being released to start implementing ?
Beebox N3150 - LibreELEC 7.90.009 | Synology DS212+ NAS 6TB
Panasonic DMP-BD65 bluray | Yamaha RX-A3030 AVR - Kef KHT3005SE 5.1 speakers | Optoma HD87 projector - Exclusiv-Home 2.8m 16:9 screen
Anyone got any info on the release data of the Celeron version (or the other versions)? I was going to get the current Celeron-version but if the CN62 uses less power, is more quiet (very important as I would use it in a room where people might sleep during nighttime) and is a bit more futureproof (though probably still an overkill as I'd install Kodibuntu into it and use to stream flash video which is often times in poorer quality than HD). Where I live (or if I order it from Amazon), the cheapest I could get the current Asus Chromebox Celeron is 225 dollars.
Any update on the release date for this?
It looks like these are finally available.

Specs from a listing,

CHROMEBOX2-G016U

Color Iron Grey
Celeron 3205U (1.5Ghz)
2GBx1 DDR3-1600MHz (has 2 x SO-DIMM Slots)
Intel HD Graphics
16G M.2 (NGFF) SSD
Chrome OS
Dual Band 802.11 ac
BT 4.0
65W
Wireless Chrome Keyboard/Mouse
Power adapter
100 VESA Mount
1 year warranty
Intel i3 NUC | Windows 8.1 | Kodi Helix | Arctic: Zephyr
I can't think of a compelling reason for anyone to purchase one of these at this point
Would you guys pick the N3150 Beebox or the 3205U chromebox out of the two? Both are pretty close in price (for me I already have an SSD I can use so the Beebox would be a little cheaper).
imho beebox for sure
The N3150 since it would be cheaper and supports HEVC 8 bit hardware decoding.
support for the Broadwell-based Asus ChromeBox CN62 has been added to the Kodi EZ Setup script - see: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...id=1702100

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox CN62 (Broadwell)0