• 2(current)
Beta Copacetic: alpha and beta development thread
(2015-07-26, 22:33)Trickass Wrote: Looks like a great skin-to-be.

I wonder however what the home screen would actually look like. How do you get to movies / series / music / settings ?

I'm wondering the same thing myself right now, haha, but I imagine it'll be something very simple. Although I am in love with some of the fullscreen homescreen widgets used in ReFocus but I imagine such things are beyond me...
Updated the gallery with a homescreen concept. The static background is definitely a placeholder for now, while the recently added widget is a bit of a ripoff of ReFocus, although that view was also the inspiration for the full-scree overlay on the Billboard view, so may just have to ask if it's ok with the ReFocus designer. Not sure what the rules are on similarities between skins
As I like this so much I thought I'd see what it looks in action.

Thanks Hitcher... This looked really good in action. The one thing you didn't do that I would also like to see in action is the CDArt Wall... I can't recall ever seeing something like that in any other skin.

QuizKid - Good luck, these mockups look fantastic. If this concept comes to fruition, I could definitely this becoming my main skin, as long as it doesn't overwhelm lower end devices (Pi2, FireTV Stick, etc..)
(2015-07-27, 08:09)Hitcher Wrote: As I like this so much I thought I'd see what it looks in action.

Wow, amazing Hitcher!! You nailed just what I had in my head. Looks pretty good with the Conq style menus!!

Were these relatively easy to build? If (when) I fail on the code side of things, feel more than free to use these if you want to do something more fully fleshed with it.

I imagine you've got loads on with your own skins and everything else you do around here, but I'd love to hear if you have any ideas/opinions for this skin.
Really easy as your designs are nice and simple.
(2015-07-27, 18:12)Hitcher Wrote: Really easy as your designs are nice a simple.

That's good to know!
Are these 2 mockups actual view types or the information overlay?

I haven't really decided yet. First, I was thinking it could be the timed overlay (like the ones in the video you did), but for that first view, with the title rising as the background dims and the other info appearing. But it would probably also work as an alternative view.
(2015-07-27, 20:40)QuizKid Wrote: I haven't really decided yet. First, I was thinking it could be the timed overlay (like the ones in the video you did), but for that first view, with the title rising as the background dims and the other info appearing. But it would probably also work as an alternative view.

Sounds good, I'll code it up later. Wink

Here's a slightly updated video including the list view and metadata (I didn't have the same rating images as in the mockup) -

One thing I noticed when using the list view is there's a lot of truncated labels so maybe moving it over might be an idea?

Regarding list view:
What about making the fanart more visible (at least the right part of the screen) while scrolling and only dim it when additional info appears?
Nice one Hitcher, thanks so much for showing what this will look like with the vids! That's a good point with the list view, I was running into similar issues while trying to create a functioning file list view using the same layout, so I think you're right that it needs to shift across. I've been tweaking things a fair bit in the last couple of days, will update the gallery once I'm happy with where things are. Was considering some changes to the overlay as I'm not really sure it goes to well with the list view, but then maybe that view doesn't need an overlay anyway...

(2015-07-29, 08:16)Hitcher Wrote: Sounds good, I'll code it up later. Wink

Here's a slightly updated video including the list view and metadata (I didn't have the same rating images as in the mockup) -

One thing I noticed when using the list view is there's a lot of truncated labels so maybe moving it over might be an idea?

I'm finding it tough coming up with settings that look good in all scenarios (with various different artwork) but are generic enough to be easily applied consistently across different views.

Currently, I've opted for a 50% black dim fanart when it's not in focus, then the overlay has it's own 66% black dim. I think less than 50% makes it too difficult to read the text in less view.

I played around with only dimming the screen in the area where there was text or using gradients instead, but haven't come up with anything satisfactory yet.

The mission statement of the skin though is to put the fanart front and centre, so if I think UI is beginning to overly interfere, I'll try and scale it back

(2015-07-29, 09:44)bigbadrabbit Wrote: Regarding list view:
What about making the fanart more visible (at least the right part of the screen) while scrolling and only dim it when additional info appears?
Righto, I've updated the gallery again with the newest version of what I've got.

The first three images are the three colours I'm working with for background/home screen when there is no available fanart.

Hopefully it feels a bit more consistent across different views in terms of fonts, placement etc. The overlay uses different fonts now and is on a darker background, maybe I've gone too dark. Also when it's in place, any text that was underneath fades to transparent to make it easier to read the new information being shown.

The widgets (recently added, watchlist) and one of the subsequent billboard views (first Mad Max image) is a riff on ReFocus.

I'm currently working on an episode list and file list view, which is sort of inspired in my head by this old version of Aeon Nox (not sure if it's still included in newer versions).

Right justified textbox content... Best avoided if at all possible!
Bitcoin donations: 1Hvo9rWzhAVbuPrshgaGZaD7qcLFTCPuiv
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copacetic: alpha and beta development thread8