• 24(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
Thanks! I got it now. Apparently I missed a lot of things, but I finally took the time to actually look properly through everything after your first message to my reply.. Not sure how I missed it in the first place. lol. Seems really obvious.
Information 
Added a new version to my repository and Kodi official repo: 1.0.2.

You can also get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Install default keymap on first run
(2015-06-27, 01:06)Traker1001 Wrote: @ruuk if I missed anything please let me know. I know you are busy with some really cool stuff, however, if you get a chance I am sure it would be handy if the custom KB map were installed automatically on first run of the add-on as it is an integral part on the add-on. Also I haven't said it in a while, So thank you again. Big Grin

I finally got around to it. Sorry I took so long :p
Just following up on my experiment to keep the Screen Reader on one sound card and the main Kodi on another. Works well. For the record I also installed mpg123 as a plugin for kodi on Openelec with some minimal changes. My only issue I ahve so far though is when playing speech via the usb sound card it always seems clipped a the end.. where as playing it via the internal sound card it does not. Weird. I will investigate further because the WeTek Play is a bit of an exotic beast. But I did want to say to everyone that if you are stuck with an ALSA build of Kodi and find the Screen reader locks up playing video then have a stab at doing what I did and use a separate sound card for speech.

Once again thanks Ruuk. it is a very nice and usable plugin if only openelec would install mplayer by default then I feel sure most of my headaches would be solved.

Cheers,
@ruuk - that's cool, we all know your busy and appreciate everything you do. Big Grin

@lookidok - I never actually had any issues when I was running an Alsa build on the Pi 1, But its cool to know that is an option. I had a similar setup with 2 cards using windows for a while, It actually worked well.
I just bought a Fire TV Stick and installed Kodi on it, it works great but unfortunately the screen reader doesn't work at all. Is there a way to get a speech engine onto a Fire TV Stick? I am not seeing one in the config window so I'm assuming the problem is that Kodi can't find a speech engine or it doesn't have access to Google's TTS. From what I read earlier there's an issue with Android needing mpg123 or something? Is there a way to side load that? Thanks!
Hey Ruuk, I was just reading this page and it seems the might be a way to play mp3s from the command line in android.

The command the give is:

Quote:am start-n com.android.music / com.android.music.MediaPlaybackActivity-d / sdcard/liangliangxianwang.mp3

I wondering if we can lever that as default method to play on Android? At least for the Google voices.

Just a thought.
(2015-07-16, 07:58)byron27 Wrote: I just bought a Fire TV Stick and installed Kodi on it, it works great but unfortunately the screen reader doesn't work at all. Is there a way to get a speech engine onto a Fire TV Stick? I am not seeing one in the config window so I'm assuming the problem is that Kodi can't find a speech engine or it doesn't have access to Google's TTS. From what I read earlier there's an issue with Android needing mpg123 or something? Is there a way to side load that? Thanks!

The only way currently to use the screen reader on Android is to use a speech server running on another device.

(2015-07-16, 14:28)lookidok Wrote: Hey Ruuk, I was just reading this page and it seems the might be a way to play mp3s from the command line in android.

The command the give is:

Quote:am start-n com.android.music / com.android.music.MediaPlaybackActivity-d / sdcard/liangliangxianwang.mp3

I wondering if we can lever that as default method to play on Android? At least for the Google voices.

Just a thought.

I've looked at this method before. The specific method you mention will probably not work unless the device is rooted, though I can call Android intents with some builtin Kodi commands, so that is not really an issue. The main problem with this approach (I believe) is that you are telling Android to play an mp3 in a player. There is too much overhead in this operation to be useful in the context of a screen reader, as well as the fact the a player app will be opening.

What I hope to do in the future is talk to our single already overwhelmed Android developer, and see how hard it would be to expose the built in android speech API. This would be the ideal solution. The only other method that I think would work would be for me (or someone else) to develop an android app that exposes the built in speech methods as android intents.
Hi!

I'm not sure if it is a bug, but I will try to describe the issue, as far as my english allows. :-)

In Kodi 14, I could open the information screen for a movie and see all the details in it. What I often used was the cast information, so that I knew, what actor played what role. It seams that this does no longer work in Kodi 15.

When I open the movie information for let's say, "Melancholia" and activate the "Cast" button, (I don't know what this button is called in english because my Installation is set to german, it is the butten next to the "Play" button). On the screen I see the List of Actors. On the screen I can see "Kirsten Dunst as Justine", but the Kodi Screen reader just reads "Kirsten Dunst".

Told you my english is not very good. :-)

I don't think that it is supposed to be like this. It worked in Kodi 14 just fine. Is there something I can do, maybe a setting or something like that?

Regards!
Question 
Hi,

I am trying to use the installer for Windows provided, but run into a 404 error when trying to download the additional files. What did I break for this to crash down so spectacularly? Smile

Regards,
Zersiax
(2015-07-28, 14:41)donkamillo Wrote: Hi!

I'm not sure if it is a bug, but I will try to describe the issue, as far as my english allows. :-)

In Kodi 14, I could open the information screen for a movie and see all the details in it. What I often used was the cast information, so that I knew, what actor played what role. It seams that this does no longer work in Kodi 15.

When I open the movie information for let's say, "Melancholia" and activate the "Cast" button, (I don't know what this button is called in english because my Installation is set to german, it is the butten next to the "Play" button). On the screen I see the List of Actors. On the screen I can see "Kirsten Dunst as Justine", but the Kodi Screen reader just reads "Kirsten Dunst".

Told you my english is not very good. :-)

I don't think that it is supposed to be like this. It worked in Kodi 14 just fine. Is there something I can do, maybe a setting or something like that?

Regards!

(2015-07-29, 00:43)zersiax Wrote: Hi,

I am trying to use the installer for Windows provided, but run into a 404 error when trying to download the additional files. What did I break for this to crash down so spectacularly? Smile

Regards,
Zersiax

It looks like I need to do some maintenance for the Isengard release.
Smile Keep me posted please. I'd like to play with this some Smile

Zersiax
I recently posted a request to be able to start packaging Speech installer with the Kodi installer. I am hoping with the release of 15 and addition of the add on to the official repo, maybe we can get this moving forward. It would be an amazing step. you can see and/or comment on my post here. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=234619

And Ruuk, Haven't told lately how much we appreciate all the amazing work you have done and how awesome we all think you are. Big Grin So here it is. Big Grin
Hi I have just downloaded the screen reader on a digital media box attached to the TV, but I haven't been able to work out how to launch it or make it work. Does anyone have any ideas? All the other posts or recommendations I have read, relate to a screen reader on the computer not a digital media box on a TV.
(2015-08-09, 13:22)Katmaverick Wrote: Hi I have just downloaded the screen reader on a digital media box attached to the TV, but I haven't been able to work out how to launch it or make it work. Does anyone have any ideas? All the other posts or recommendations I have read, relate to a screen reader on the computer not a digital media box on a TV.
I'm guessing that the box is Android based? The Screen Reader doesn't work on Android yet without the use of a speech server running on another computer.

The speech server is available on the downloads page for which there is a link on the first post of this thread.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10