• 336(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Love my Chromebox for use on my bedrrom television but there is one thing I REALLY wish I could do.....boot into Chrome without needing to hook up a keyboard. It would be great to have a "Boot into Chrome" from the shutdown menus within KODI that would allow the device to boot to Chrome so that I can access all of the other streaming options out there (Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, AMazon Prime etc) and then upon rebooting would go back into KODI automatically.

Any chance that this is possible?

Thanks

Bill
(2015-07-30, 12:40)noggin Wrote: I'm running my Chromebox over HDMI (not DP - didn't see the point of using an adaptor) to a Sony UHD set and have the following modes supported in OpenElec :

3840x2160 @ 23.976/24.000/25/29.97/30.00Hz
4096x2160 @ 23.976/24.000Hz

Full VAAPI H264 acceleration is available for these resolutions and frame rates.

I believe the DP->HDMI output would offer the same.

Thanks for the response bro!

Ok... so if I understand correctly, any DP->HDMI adapter would work to achieve 4k resolution regardless of how the vendor advertises it correct? Also; I believe you were wondering Y I'm using an adapter in the first place. My AVR does not support 4k resolution so my HDMI port is being used for HD Audio Bitstreaming to my AVR which only leaves DP to use for 4k video to my UHD display.
(2015-07-30, 20:14)mrfattbill Wrote: Love my Chromebox for use on my bedrrom television but there is one thing I REALLY wish I could do.....boot into Chrome without needing to hook up a keyboard. It would be great to have a "Boot into Chrome" from the shutdown menus within KODI that would allow the device to boot to Chrome so that I can access all of the other streaming options out there (Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, AMazon Prime etc) and then upon rebooting would go back into KODI automatically.

Any chance that this is possible?

Thanks

Bill

how are you going to navigate ChromeOS without a keyboard? Either way, there's no way to do what you are asking, since the default boot type (ChromeOS or legacy) is stored in the firmware, and can only be overriden via keyboard input (CTRL-D/L).

(2015-07-30, 23:34)CpTHOOK Wrote: Thanks for the response bro!

Ok... so if I understand correctly, any DP->HDMI adapter would work to achieve 4k resolution regardless of how the vendor advertises it correct? Also; I believe you were wondering Y I'm using an adapter in the first place. My AVR does not support 4k resolution so my HDMI port is being used for HD Audio Bitstreaming to my AVR which only leaves DP to use for 4k video to my UHD display.

as long as you're fine with 24/30Hz refresh rate, then yes; 60Hz isn't possible via HDMI, only DisplayPort via MST (which requires OS and monitor to support it)
I'm running this and wondering about an emulator on the chromebox
Can someone please tell me how to reinstall openelec? am running the latest beta on chromebox and i just want to reinstall everything from scratch just like formatting windows/pc. Thanks alot.
If i remember well there's an option in OE settings to do just that.
(2015-07-30, 23:34)CpTHOOK Wrote: Also; I believe you were wondering Y I'm using an adapter in the first place. My AVR does not support 4k resolution so my HDMI port is being used for HD Audio Bitstreaming to my AVR which only leaves DP to use for 4k video to my UHD display.

You could do the opposite as well. Use the DP->HDMI output to the AVR for HD Audio and then feed the HDMI directly to your TV?

And as Matt has said, 4K from the HDMI and DP->HDMI route will be max 30Hz refresh.
(2015-07-31, 18:44)ggp759 Wrote: Can someone please tell me how to reinstall openelec? am running the latest beta on chromebox and i just want to reinstall everything from scratch just like formatting windows/pc. Thanks alot.

Write the openelec installer to USB stick.

Boot from USB stick.

Choose 'install'
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-31, 19:01)noggin Wrote: You could do the opposite as well. Use the DP->HDMI output to the AVR for HD Audio and then feed the HDMI directly to your TV?

And as Matt has said, 4K from the HDMI and DP->HDMI route will be max 30Hz refresh.

(2015-07-31, 17:48)Matt Devo Wrote: as long as you're fine with 24/30Hz refresh rate, then yes; 60Hz isn't possible via HDMI, only DisplayPort via MST (which requires OS and monitor to support it

As you can tell, I haven't done enough homework to know the difference with regard to refresh rate(s), I kinda just want to make sure things work. I know the basics (e.g., resolutions/frame sizes, etc), but not quite sure how refresh rates affect picture quality. I know my UHD has a max refresh rate of 60Hz which is plenty for primary use with OpenELEC on ChromeBox. When CB is connected directly to UHD with HDMI I get [email protected]. I also had no clue that DP could carry audio, so I'm definitely going DP->HDMI to receiver now that I know this.

Thanks guys for the info. Amazon has both my DP and Flirc receiver coming today which will complete my CB setup
(2015-08-01, 14:07)CpTHOOK Wrote: As you can tell, I haven't done enough homework to know the difference with regard to refresh rate(s), I kinda just want to make sure things work. I know the basics (e.g., resolutions/frame sizes, etc), but not quite sure how refresh rates affect picture quality.

Video is captured at a native refresh rate. This is what the camera shoots and what is recorded. For optimum picture quality you watch at the native frame rate (or a simple multiple of it). Things get a bit complicated with interlaced video this is where two halves of the frame are sent consecutively, but they don't have to be captured at the same time - so you get twice the refresh rate of the frame rate, and for best results deinterlace this stuff to the refresh rate not the frame rate)

Movies and North American TV drama (and most sit coms these days) are usually shot at 23.976/24.000Hz, and European TV movies and drama are usually shot at 25Hz. This relatively low frame rate gives them a 'film look'.

Entertainment TV shows, concerts, news, sport etc. on TV are usually shot at 59.94/60.00Hz in North America and 50Hz in Europe. This higher refresh rate gives them a more 'immediate' video look. (Sometimes called the 'soap opera' look in the US, as daytime soaps were shot at this higher refresh rate traditionally, as they were shot on multi camera video in studios)

23.976Hz content is the confusing one - as on US TV and DVD it is converted to 59.94Hz using something called 3:2 pulldown - where one film frame is shown for 3 frames (or 3 fields in interlaced) the next for 2 frames (2 fields in interlaced) which can make it appear to have additional judder on motion. People who are used to it don't notice it. However those of us who are not used to it do. When Blu-ray and HDMI came along it became possible to easily output 24Hz video as 24Hz natively, and displays appeared that could display 24Hz video without 3:2 judder, using 2:2, 3:3 etc.

For a 4K connection to properly display all kinds of SD and HD content upscaled, it needs to support 59.94/60.00Hz (and if you're in Europe 50Hz too) as otherwise you will be halving the frame rate of these to get them to display. This makes smooth sports action juddery, and fast camera moves used on entertainment shows quite unpleasant to watch. At the moment a lot of PCs with 4K output cannot output 50-60Hz refresh rates and are stuck with a maximum of 30Hz. This means if you watch permanently in 4K output mode you lose motion quality.

HOWEVER this is only an issue if you watch TV, Concert DVD/Blu-rays etc. on your PC. If you only watch movies and TV drama, it probably won't be an issue.
Quote:I know my UHD has a max refresh rate of 60Hz which is plenty for primary use with OpenELEC on ChromeBox.
Yes - but the CB will only output 1080p and below at 60Hz, the 4K output is limited, via HDMI at least, to 30Hz max. If you don't have 4K content, then I'd leave the CB in 1080p mode. If you don't watch anything with a frame rate higher than 30Hz then you can run permanently in 4K mode. (Kodi currently doesn't allow for switching between resolutions to cope with refresh rate limitations at higher resolutions. In an ideal world it would run 4K for <30Hz content and 1080p for >30Hz content IF 4K at >30Hz isn't supported)

Quote:When CB is connected directly to UHD with HDMI I get [email protected].
Yep - you should find you get :
3840x2160 at 23.976/24.000 and possibly 25Hz (depends on your TV's European-ness)
4096x2160 at 23.976/24.000 Hz.

Your panel is almost certainly 3840x2160 - and that is the resolution that UHD 4K TV production uses, though movie and drama may use 4096.

Quote: I also had no clue that DP could carry audio, so I'm definitely going DP->HDMI to receiver now that I know this.

DP can carry audio natively I believe, but that is a moot point. This is because when you plug in an HDMI adaptor to a Displayport output it signals to the GPU to switch into HDMI output mode, so the DP output effectively 'becomes' HDMI, the data format being output on the DP connector changes totally.

DP native output is very different to HDMI - which is why it was a very clever idea for the DP standard to support adaptor-based signal changing rather than requiring more expensive conversion (which would also potentially have added lag for gamers).
I am running OpenELEC Kodi version 14.0. How do I upgrade to Kodi version 15.0 without going through the OpenELEC installation process again.
Manual update to OpenELEC 5.95.3, as per the wiki

ChromeBOX/OpenELEC perfection! Thanks again guys for all the help; Kodi forums have always been an awesome community. I also want to share my experience with a few accessories I purchased for my ChromeBox.

1st) The DP->HDMI adapter I bought from Amazon (CableMatters) DID NOT WORK for me on my chromebox. I tried out to both my AVR and UHD display with no luck. I may have possibly received a defective unit. The reviews on this adapter were more than satisfactory enough for me to purchase it. I got THIS one instead and it works perfectly.

2nd) For those thinking of using Flirc with an XBOX360 remote on ChromeBox. The WiKi recommended it; however, I was not successful setting it up as the IR reception was very dull between the two devices after mapping buttons rendering the remote unusable. I was able to use/setup THIS remote with Flirc of course with no issues. What's with my 360 remoteTongue
(2015-07-31, 18:51)Namoi Wrote: If i remember well there's an option in OE settings to do just that.

(2015-08-01, 07:16)nickr Wrote:
(2015-07-31, 18:44)ggp759 Wrote: Can someone please tell me how to reinstall openelec? am running the latest beta on chromebox and i just want to reinstall everything from scratch just like formatting windows/pc. Thanks alot.

Write the openelec installer to USB stick.

Boot from USB stick.

Choose 'install'

I did a hard reset of the chromebox through the menu. I am newbie and did not understand the second option. Problems:

1) When the box boots i get a "A job is running for OpenSSH server daemon" message. i have to wait 1:30 minutes for it to finish and then it boots normally. SSH options are at defaults.
2) In the Settings>Openelec>Networks my choice of using a wireless network is not remembered. Not the specific network i join. Just the option to use wireless networks. Every time i boot the box i have to go and manually select wireless networks and then it automatically connects to my router. The option wireless networks is deselected every time.

Can anyone please help? And can you tell me how to properly report this if its a bug? Did not happen on stable openelec builds. Just the latest betas that include Isengard.

Thanks again.
(2015-08-02, 19:43)ggp759 Wrote: I did a hard reset of the chromebox through the menu. I am newbie and did not understand the second option. Problems:

1) When the box boots i get a "A job is running for OpenSSH server daemon" message. i have to wait 1:30 minutes for it to finish and then it boots normally. SSH options are at defaults.
2) In the Settings>Openelec>Networks my choice of using a wireless network is not remembered. Not the specific network i join. Just the option to use wireless networks. Every time i boot the box i have to go and manually select wireless networks and then it automatically connects to my router. The option wireless networks is deselected every time.

Can anyone please help? And can you tell me how to properly report this if its a bug? Did not happen on stable openelec builds. Just the latest betas that include Isengard.

Thanks again.

1) installer bug. System/OpenELEC/Services - select then deselect the option to not use a ssh password - this will restart the ssh server and generate the correct keys
2) System/OpenELEC/Network - select the option to wait to start Kodi until network up
  • 336(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37