• 11(current)
Intel Braswell boxes compilation
(2015-12-20, 21:06)mwake Wrote: I just got my hands on NUC5CPYH kit and want to install openelec on it. I am an absolute noob with regard to Linux and openelec. However, I have skimmed through some of the forum articles and have been seeing that there were/are some installation/usage problems with the latest official build of openelec and braswell based nuc. I heard that Fritsch build is more stable, but would like to know what Fritsch build can/can't do compared to official build and where I can find the Fritsch build as I can't seem to find it on the internet. Many thanks for any help on this.

this is the OE 6 / Kodi 15.2 build you want: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/...sch.img.gz. There are also Kodi 17 test builds available, but I'd start with the stable one first.

and where to get more info on these builds: 231955 (thread)

the only thing these can't/don't do that the official build does is auto update.
I don't think Fritsch is doing the builds anymore, but maybe that has changed.

I have this running, maybe someone can say exactly where it came from:
Kodi compiled Sep 14 2015 by GCC 4.9.3 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.1.6 (262406)
15:49:17 T:140706739300224 NOTICE: Running on OpenELEC (unofficial) - Version: devel-20150914135033-r21288-g3f7773d 6.0, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit vers
ion 4.1.6

I'm not sure if I got it from Fritsch or from another nightly. I don't think is a Fritsch build but I did load his, but I believe it didn't have any PVRs included so I switched to another dev build. It seems to work quite well. It sees my surround receiver, does pass through just fine and I have no trouble getting live TV accelerated with VAAPI motion compensation. I'm watching a 1080p TV program that is broadcast in DD 5.1 and it is passing through perfectly to my AVR using a whopping 5% CPU time. I don't think that Fritsch is much of a fan of pass through, but it does work. I believe that even the wifi works, I'm not sure about bluetooth or the built in IR receiver. It looks perfect on my projector. I use a raspberry pi normally. I bought the NUC for a different purpose. It has far too much power to dedicate solely to home theater, but it sure is smooth.

NOTE: The following is a bit off topic, but I wanted to brag up the NUC a little. Smile

I bought my NUC to make a portable demo machine. It normally runs Mythbuntu, MythTV and Kodi on top. It currently has an SSD, but normally sports a 1TB laptop drive. With a network connected HDHomerun or a USB Hauppauge TV tuner, it's a complete home entertainment DVR setup. Plug in a USB DVD player and it does everything and takes up about 32 cubic inches of space.

The NUC is going on a road trip for Christmas. It will be plugged into an inverter (I have a DCDC-NUC from minibox that I wanted to use to power it, but that's another sad story thanks to Intel's error riddled documentation). It's running hostapd and will be a hotspot inside the vehicle. My wife and child will be able to connect to the MythTV backend using their tablets (or a laptop) running Kodi. A 3TB external USB hard drive will contain about 2000 TV recordings and movies. plus a ton of MP3 music (copied from my big Myth backend at home) so there should be no shortage of entertainment for them. I was going to put in a USB cellular modem so they would have internet too, but I don't want them burning through our limited data plan. I put an SSD in the NUC to ensure that there would be no HD head crash on the road. The external drive will be taking its chances. Wink
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
Thanks for replies Matt Devo and afremont. Is there a place where I can play and experiment with different builds for Braswell based nucs? I've seen this web page

http://ls80.github.io/script.openelec.de...stallation

but not sure which ones I can experiment with that would work with braswell nuc. Many thanks again for replies!
(2015-12-21, 06:28)mwake Wrote: Thanks for replies Matt Devo and afremont. Is there a place where I can play and experiment with different builds for Braswell based nucs? I've seen this web page

http://ls80.github.io/script.openelec.de...stallation

but not sure which ones I can experiment with that would work with braswell nuc. Many thanks again for replies!

the link I gave you has builds optimized for Intel GPUs with the new EGL-VAAPI renderer. They are what you want for Braswell.
Hi guys!
Total beginner. I'm planing a set-up with RPi2's as front-end-players (running openELEC and Kodi) and a NUC (running openELEC and mythTV) as dedicated PVR / mythTV back-end.
- Would the NUC5PPYH be able to record 3-4 HD channels (1080p / 60fps) simultainiously?
- Would I be better of spending the extra for a NUC6i3 or i5 if I would like to transcode my recordings to ie. MPEG2?

Any help apriciated!
Thanks for all the help given, actually I took a gamble and installed the latest stable version...at first I thought the stories of hung installation was happening to me as it seemingly stuck on 87%, I waited for a while then pressed escape and then it rebooted perfectly into openelec. So far everything seems to working 100%. The only downside I noticed was that openelec doesn't support Bluetooth audio, which android version did...apart from that I'm in love with how fast this machine is compared to my generic android box and also enjoying DTS HD MA audio and 24p pictures for the first time, thanks again [THUMBS UP SIGN] 😛
What SSD would you recomment for these barebones for running OpenELEC (no need for capacity > 32GB I suppose)?
(2016-01-05, 11:24)glypto Wrote: What SSD would you recomment for these barebones for running OpenELEC (no need for capacity > 32GB I suppose)?

It's not that OE would require very high disk performance. Just pick any popular SSD that matches your budget and size requirements.
If I was just going to run OE and only needed 32GB, I'd use an SD card.
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
How is playback in Windows 10 on Braswell? I have a Bay Trail box and the main problem I have with it is it is too slow for some purposes in Win10 so I have to run OpenElec on it. I still want to have access to the Netflix and Hulu apps, and be able to stream flash video @ 1080p off Xfinity's website. The Bay Trail box (J1900) I have is much to slow for that- the video stutters under Win 10, and 10bit file playback in Kodi is much too slow, but fine in OpenElec.

If a 3150n could run decently under Win10 I would upgrade to that.
(2015-12-20, 21:06)mwake Wrote: I just got my hands on NUC5CPYH kit and want to install openelec on it. I am an absolute noob with regard to Linux and openelec. However, I have skimmed through some of the forum articles and have been seeing that there were/are some installation/usage problems with the latest official build of openelec and braswell based nuc. I heard that Fritsch build is more stable, but would like to know what Fritsch build can/can't do compared to official build and where I can find the Fritsch build as I can't seem to find it on the internet. Many thanks for any help on this.

They have a wiki...its simple to install OpenELEC to an SD or USB and be up and running very quickly.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Main_Page

Also download Kore remote to your android or iphone it works really well as a remote...very snappy no lag or anything.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...kore&hl=en
Would this revo box be a "good kodi" box running openelec. Needs to play 4k and x265 movies along with some 3d. Must provide DTS 5.1. Thanks. This seemed a good price.
http://m.ebuyer.com/723605
It can't play h265 10 bit which is the future standard live tv and also on UHD blurays. So: No.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I got almost everything up and running with an ASRock N3150-ITX and openelec (OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0-devel-20160119091746-r21940-g0292635).

Big thanks for your awesome work fritsch and your advices on the board!!

Only problem: I have no audio after resuming from suspend mode. A reboot brings back audio. Video is not a problem.
After a resume my AVR isn't available anymore via audio settings.

Somewhere I read about manual configured EDID data to handle the issue, as it's not a kodi/openelec issue I guess?

But I don't find the post. Maybe someone could help?
Here, have a look: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config...#tab=Intel <- at the bottom
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Braswell boxes compilation3