• 30(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
(2016-01-25, 01:49)Bladesftp Wrote: Hi i am blind and want to use tts on my android is this likely to be available soon
Cheers

You can use the speech server running on another computer, but speech directly on the Android isn't likely to be added soon. The best way will likely require some new code in Kodi itself and the lesser option would require creating an android app that hooks in to Android speech and that the addon can communicate with. Both options are not simple to make happen.

That said, it's something that I want and plan to do - I just don't know when I'll be able to get it done.
Cheers for fast reply
(2016-01-04, 11:55)leonardder Wrote: One another issue i experience with this version and older versions, which is not related to the new features: It seems that the screen reader doesn't read certain list boxes in the screen reader configuration itself, like the selection box for the espeak voice as well as the audio player to pipe the speech into. Strange enough, the interface listbox works as expected.

I was just testing this and I can't reproduce it. What version of Kodi are you using and what skin?
Information 
Added a new beta version to my repository: 1.0.6b2.

You can also get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Now puts the addon in first run state if a user installed version is removed when the addon is pre-installed
  • Now updates the keymap if the pre-installed version is removed

leonardder: This version should handle changes in the install path properly. If you remove the addon from special://home and it is installed in special://xbmc it will disable the addon. It makes the assumption that the user uninstalled the addon (because it can't tell if this is the case or it was just deleted) and this would be the expected state. At this point it will be just as if it's a first run with the addon pre-installed, and the user can enable normally with F12.
Thank you Ruuk. Big Grin How was CES?
Hi,
I have an apple tv. Would it be possible to include voiceover support for kodie for apple tv? It should be pretty easy if we follow apple's accessibility guidelines.
Thanks
(2016-01-25, 21:59)parashah23 Wrote: Hi,
I have an apple tv. Would it be possible to include voiceover support for kodie for apple tv? It should be pretty easy if we follow apple's accessibility guidelines.
Thanks

The problem with both Android and Apple TV (I'm assuming you mean ATV4 and aside from the fact that Kodi is not officially supported there yet) - is that while it might be easy for an app to access the speech features of the OS, Kodi addons are running within the Kodi app, and do not have this access. On other platforms, the addon can access the OS directly.
(2016-01-25, 21:43)Traker1001 Wrote: Thank you Ruuk. Big Grin How was CES?

It was fun. We had a lot of meetings this year.
Hello everyone, I currently use the Kodi screen reader on my Windows Vista laptop, as I am totally blind. I'm in the process of learning how to use Kodi, and read an article which said that if you install a speech server on another device, you could use the screen reader on the Kodi app on an Android device if I read that correctly. My question is where is that link to find the Kodi speech server, and can somebody explain to me how to installed the speech server? Or does this mean that I can use my android phone to access the kodi screen reader, with it being already installed on my laptop. Just a little confused tohere would appreciate any help.
Hi there,
My name is Justin
I would first like to start by saying thanks to everyone who has made it possible to be able to use kodi as a blind computer user.
Its really awesome to have so many media streaming possibilities.
I do have a question though
I have installed Ruuk's repository I do believe but can not find the NVDA controler client DLL file to use Kodi with NVDA.
Could someone point me in the right direction, as of now I can only use SAPI with the kodi screen reader addon.
Thanks alot
Feel free to skype/twitter: drummer0608
thanks alot for all the great work.
reading through all the posts on how this all came about was an awesome timeline!!

JT
Justin,
Trying to find your email to shoot ya one to discuss Kodi. If you'd like, you could email me at [email protected].
Thanks, Shane.
Thanks Ruuk for the new version, working great over here.
Hi to all,
Is there a new version of the screen reader?
Also is there a keyboard command to enable the screen reader in case it gets disabled? I'm using Jaws

Thanks.
(2016-02-19, 08:14)shanec Wrote: Hi to all,
Is there a new version of the screen reader?
Also is there a keyboard command to enable the screen reader in case it gets disabled? I'm using Jaws

Thanks.
There was a new beta version about 3 weeks ago, but nothing has been added as far as features for normal usage lately.

F12 enables and disabled the add-on.
(2016-02-19, 07:25)blindndangerous Wrote: Thanks Ruuk for the new version, working great over here.
Thanks for the report Smile
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10