• 3(current)
Alpha Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon
Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town!

I've pushed a new update that should allow you to disable addons/features you do not want.

Please let me know of any errors you guys are having, so I can fix them! (Just make sure you are on the latest version)
(2016-03-13, 05:36)rsummers618 Wrote: Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town!

I've pushed a new update that should allow you to disable addons/features you do not want.

Please let me know of any errors you guys are having, so I can fix them! (Just make sure you are on the latest version)

thanks for the addon update. Im unable to change anything but sports. Is it just me or somebody else has the same problem?

UPDATE:

I changed settings editing settings.xml file.

I'm still unable to play some local files. "couldn't find source" response. Is there any change or setup needed in my library or Sample Utterances

TIA
tested with kodi v17 march 11th build.

new update fixes my issue with not playing some local movies.

looling good.
request, "play, pause"
(2016-03-13, 06:31)fbrea Wrote: thanks for the addon update. Im unable to change anything but sports. Is it just me or somebody else has the same problem?

UPDATE:

I changed settings editing settings.xml file.

I'm still unable to play some local files. "couldn't find source" response. Is there any change or setup needed in my library or Sample Utterances

TIA

What do you mean by you are unable to change anything but sports?

Settings are actually dynamically generated based on the add-ons a user currently has installed. I don't recommend manually editing the XML as its likely to be overwritten.

Regarding "couldn't find source". Are you by chance using different ID's or scrapers? The skill looks up movie by IMDBID and shows by TVDBID. IF you use a different database such as TMDB it won't be able to find the content.

I will add different databases in a future release.

If you post a log i'll be able to see whats going on.

Quote:tested with kodi v17 march 11th build.

new update fixes my issue with not playing some local movies.

looling good.
request, "play, pause"

Good to hear that the update fixed your movie issue. I also noticed that a recent alexa update GREATLY improved the listening capbility of the device, and the correct intent is chosen much more often.

Regarding Play/Pause, this already exists "Alexa tell kodi pause/play/start" (I couldn't do "alexa tell kodi to pause" because then just about every other command triggers pause instead)
Great job on this. Only thing i would like to see added if possible is "play lastest episode of" for tv.

Edit : nvm re-read the thread and saw youre already working on it, thanks.
This probably has nothing to do with this addon but trying to get the voice commands to work with Netflix and Quasar on my end. I have the netflix apk installed, i can launch it from KODI, I have Chrome Launcher installed, and i have netflixbmc addon installed. If i ask it to play Daredevil a screen pops up and says its playing daredevil from netflix but it never does. Same issue with Quasar, will say its launching but do nothing. Any ideas? Thanks
(2016-03-13, 16:11)stevej336 Wrote: Great job on this. Only thing i would like to see added if possible is "play lastest episode of" for tv.

Edit : nvm re-read the thread and saw youre already working on it, thanks.

Yeah, the difficulty is getting the addons synced up.

Its easy to implement for just local media, but if a user plays 3 episodes locally and one on Netflix, its next to impossible to tell where they left off.
I don't really want to force users to use trakt, so only local media is likely possible

stevej336 Wrote:This probably has nothing to do with this addon but trying to get the voice commands to work with Netflix and Quasar on my end. I have the netflix apk installed, i can launch it from KODI, I have Chrome Launcher installed, and i have netflixbmc addon installed. If i ask it to play Daredevil a screen pops up and says its playing daredevil from netflix but it never does. Same issue with Quasar, will say its launching but do nothing. Any ideas? Thanks

You'll also need chrome apk installed. I'm not sure the behavior on firetv, as I don't have one to test.

The way it works, is it will use chrome launcher to open a netflix url (netflix.com/watch/xxxxxx), which android associates with whatever Netflix app you have installed.

Quasar movies were broken until an update I posted last night. This is because Quasar moved from using IMDB to TMDB. This has been fixed.
Quote:What do you mean by you are unable to change anything but sports?

I meant in the addon configuration menu all i see is this: http://snag.gy/Q81AL.jpg

Quote:Regarding "couldn't find source". Are you by chance using different ID's or scrapers? The skill looks up movie by IMDBID and shows by TVDBID. IF you use a different database such as TMDB it won't be able to find the content.

I will add different databases in a future release.

If you post a log i'll be able to see whats going on.

Thanks I will check my scrapper and post log if problem persists.

Actually using imdb on universal movie scrapper
Quote:I meant in the addon configuration menu all i see is this: http://snag.gy/Q81AL.jpg

Are you certain you have some supported addons installed? ie chrome launcher/pulsar/quasar?
Options will not appear unless you have the addons installed.

If anything you shouldn't see anything on sports either.

Please try exiting the settings all the way and re-opening to populate the correct settings. (or even restarting kodi)
Yeah, i just installed chrome.apk and it launches chrome but i have to accept the terms and conditions on chrome but seems to be no way to do so.
[/quote]

You'll also need chrome apk installed. I'm not sure the behavior on firetv, as I don't have one to test.

The way it works, is it will use chrome launcher to open a netflix url (netflix.com/watch/xxxxxx), which android associates with whatever Netflix app you have installed.

Quasar movies were broken until an update I posted last night. This is because Quasar moved from using IMDB to TMDB. This has been fixed.
[/quote]
I'm still rather new to the Echo (just got it a few days ago). It looks like if we want Kodi integration, it would all need to come from a single Skill, correct? I was interested in doing some integration work to get Echo/Kodi to play from the Twitch.tv plugin. But in order to have that work, I would either need to write my own Skill (meaning I couldn't use yours for basic Kodi integration).

Still trying to wrap my brain around things. Does the development of an Echo Skill allow for multiple developers to work on it at once, or would all of the Kodi skills be mutually exclusive?
Quote:It looks like if we want Kodi integration, it would all need to come from a single Skill, correct?

Well, you can use multiple skills. For example you could make a skill specifically for twitch (It would have to use the Kodi Backend) and change the Keyword to Twitch from Kodi.

Quote:Still trying to wrap my brain around things. Does the development of an Echo Skill allow for multiple developers to work on it at once, or would all of the Kodi skills be mutually exclusive?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You can contribute to the project I'm developing on Github.

Next up on the priority list is to make exactly what you say, A way to launch user custom addons.

Meaning a user will enter a keyword on their Kodi settings, and select a specific file location in the add-on and this will be launched.

An example for Twitch might be

User input settings:
Addon:addon.video.twitchtv/search/(Argument)
Invocation name: Twitch

Then if you say "Alexa tell kodi to open (Argument = Doublelift) on (Invocation name = twitch)
It will launch the user specified addon.

The primary issue i'm having with trying to implement this is Alexa isn't great at differentiating between

"Tell kodi to open Doublelift" -- IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE THAT IS SAID
"Tell kodi to play DoubleLift" - Search for a movie/show called doublelift

The alternative would be to actually release an alexa skill for Every single actual addon..
The problem there being I'd have to acquire the proper licensing to release say a Twitch/Youtube/ESPN app. (Unlikely I could actually call my skill "Twitch" or make the invocation name "Twitch TV"
And I'd have to maintain them all separately. And flood the app store with maybe 30 new apps. (Maybe they'd like that)
At this stage in the game it looks like Amazon is pretty strict regarding such things.
The positive side of doing it that way would be you could say

" Alexa tell youtube to play charlie bit my finger"
instead of
"Alexa tell kodi to open Charlie bit my finger on youtube"

Until Alexa allows different invocation names for different skills, we are stuck with this.
Thanks, you've answered my questions. Mostly, my questions were related to multiple Skills per add-on vs. a single Skill, as well as whether the Skill development was multi-developer. (didn't realize your code was on Github)

It seems as though you're already planning on working on multi add-on support for your project. I'd expect you'll get to it before I can get up to speed on Skills development, but I'll try to catch up and dissect your project to see if I can help at all.
"there was a problem with the requested skills response" what am I looking for to troubleshoot?
OMDB api went down. I'll have to implement a fallback
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon3