• 1(current)
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
Information 
Latest snapshot, as of February 22, 2017
  • HiMedia is continuing support of Q5/Q10 Pro with dual Android 5.1 and 7 firmwares
  • Alternative to HiMedia is pricier eGreat A5/A10, but they use VidOn XBMC Pro, so we can't talk about it here. Also, eGreat suffers from the same key issues as HiMedia, namely lack of 23.976 support w/3D ISO's (same HiSilicon SoC, so not a surprise)
  • I had, but got rid of, both my HiMedia and eGreat players. Did so as I didn't care for VidOn w/latter, and lack of 23.976 for 3D with both. To me, Zidoo's support for 3D MVC MKV's in addition to 3D ISO's, plus proper 23.976, and a more elegant Kodi-to-native playback implementation... all won me over!

Review last updated October 19, 2016 (will no longer be updated as I no longer have HiMedia)

Overall verdict: B+
Based on firmware version HMD-1.0.8 2016-10-12.193826 (for Q10 Pro) and HMD-1.0.8 2016-10-17.104357 (for Q5 Pro)

HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro media players continue to improve w/firmware updates. Despite a couple of key outstanding issues, they're still among the best 4K + 3D + HD audio combo boxes on the market for local/NAS playback for A/V enthusiasts! Challenging HiMedia now however is Zidoo w/X9S and upcoming X8. And, Zidoo is providing better support as of now.
  • PQ = B+ [Weight = 35%]
    > HiSilicon's Imprex Engine 2.0 builds upon previous engine to provide continued PQ goodness. But, 3D, while it looks great, has microstutters that hinder an 'A' grade
  • AQ = A [Weight = 25%]
    >All formats, including Dolby ATMOS & DTS:X bitstream great! But, unfortunately for audio fans, 96/192KHz @ 24-bit is downsampled to 16-bit
  • UX = B+ [Weight = 20%]
    >User experience is similar as Android launcher similar to previous-gen, but bit more polished. Kodi relies on HiMediaWrapper for playback as before. Ease of set-up is fairly straightforward; apply pre-installed wrapper, and make necessary A/V settings. See photo gallery below. Password-protected shares are now also supported
  • Build quality = A [Weight = 5%]
    > Solid aluminum shell body, with full 3.5" HDD bay, and near-silent fan. Remote same as before, lacking 'Stop' button (but, here's a workaround)
  • Manufacturer support = B [Weight = 15%]
    > Better than most Chinese manufacturers; but there's definitely room for improvement. Solid forum support however via Futeko and of course here
Disclaimer: The ratings above and review below are both objective and subjective (but, ultimately subjective). Any media player will either pass or fail A/V tests, but for 3D quality and PQ, I rely on my eyeballs Smile. The opinions expressed in this post are solely mine, not Kodi foundation’s, and not any kind of a consensus grade. Also, I never let manufacturers influence what I write. The Kodi foundation or team have nothing to do with any content in this post.

Photo Gallery:

Background & Overview:

I've been testing Q10 Pro since February with two fellow Kodi and 3D enthusiasts. Initially pre-production samples, then the production (public release) units. My thanks to HiMedia for reaching out quite some time ago, letting me invite a couple of Kodi members (now A/V buddies Smile), sending us samples, and involving us in the beta-testing process with their engineers. It isn't an ideal relationship as communication could be better, and some things less secretive (even within closed beta testing). But, this relationship has already delivered in several ways, as the production (public release) box you all are getting has several of our pre-release requested fixes implemented! Also, @pcristi's involvement via Futeko forum has really helped with framerate switching and diagnostics.

For the bulk of my tests, I relied on Epson 5025UB 1080p 3D projector (w/a Dalite 133" High Power screen). For 4K, I relied on my 65" Vizio D65u-D2. It supports HDMI @ 60fps, but sadly lacks 10-bit and HDR (only supports 8-bit). I do have a 11.2 audio set-up for HD audio, including Dolby ATMOS nor DTS:X. Please see my signature below if you want full details and/or pics of my home theater set-up.

Additional Reviews & Impressions of Q10 Pro:
Performance:

HiMedia Q10 Pro relies on HiSilicon's latest Hi3798C V200 SoC (system-on-chip), successor to Hi3798C V100 as found in previous-gen Q5/Q10 4K3D boxes. For PQ, we now get Imprex Engine 2.0, with HDR-10 4K support. Dolby Vision was initially claimed, but no longer is (they do play though). Imprex 1.0 was already the best part of Q5/Q10 4K3D, and with the new SoC/Imprex in Pro, PQ is just as good (and maybe marginally better), and shining most with 4K content. Also, Q5/Q10 Pro use Android OS 5.1.1 (w/next firmware expected to use Android N).

My Q10 Pro boots up in just under 20 seconds (vs. 44 seconds for Q5/Q10 4K3D). Q10 Pro is significantly faster, snappier all around: responsiveness, navigating around, launching Kodi and browsing large movie/TV libraries. Local streaming is also much improved as you'll see below from bitrate tests.

After the initial opening of Kodi, and closing it, I applied the new HiMediaWrapper APK. It works similarly as in previous Q5/Q10 4K3D. Here's a photo of the wrapper app.

The remote is the same one HiMedia seems fond of as they've used it in multiple players already. It lacks a 'Stop' function (but, here's a workaround)). Also, if you own other HiMedia players, each controls others.

Framerate Switching with Kodi and Native Player: Please read @looun's explanation and replies here.

A/V Tests:
  • [Audio] Dolby Digital 5.1 (640Kbps) = pass
  • [Audio] DD Plus 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DD Plus 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] TrueHD 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] TrueHD 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] ATMOS = pass
  • [Audio] DTS (1.5Mbps) = pass
  • [Audio] DTS HRA 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS HRA 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS-HD MA 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS-HD MA 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS:X = pass
  • [Audio] AAC 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] FLAC 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] LPCM 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] LPCM 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] 96kHz, 192kHz and 96kHz/24-bit = all three pass (However, no 24-bit as capped at 16-bit render; read here, especially if you're an audio fanatic)
  • [Video] Anime 10-bit 1080p HEVC = pass
  • [Video] Anime Hi10P 1080p H264 = plays, but w/some macroblocking and pixellation in certain parts of the picture
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 (VOB from a DVD rip) = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 1080i 4:2:0 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 1080i 4:2:2 = audio okay, but picture (most media players, including nVidia Shield, can't handle this video type; Intel i3 and up can)
  • [Video] 59.940 MPEG2 720p = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 23.976 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper '23.97' framerate (as my projector indicates). @pcristi's diagnostic tool indicates 47.94 (double value of 23.976), which seems okay as there are no microstutters. More here
  • [Video] 24.000 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970/60.000 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 25.000/50.000 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 23.976 1080p VC-1 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970 1080i VC-1 = pass, but could be a bit smoother (the pre-production unit fared worse w/this)
  • [3D MVC] 23.976 3D ISO = partial fail, playback in proper 3D mode, but at '24.00' framerate (microstutters, frame skips, jumps are noticeable; this remains the biggest issue left for HiMedia to address)
  • [3D MVC] 23.976 3D MVC = plays in 2D mode (have requested HiMedia to add support for this as container shouldn't matter; should leverage MVC decoder same as ISO)
  • [4K HEVC Video] 23.976 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 24 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 24fps HDR 10bit = pass (looks gorgeous even on my 8-bit 4K display)
  • [4K HEVC Video] 25 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 29.970 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 50 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 50fps 10bit = Smooth playback, no issues here (especially as playback issues on some 4K players, like pre revision-C AMLogic S905 h/w)
  • [4K HEVC Video] 59.940 = Smooth playback
  • [4K VP9 Video] Variable framerate clips = Smooth playback
  • [5K Video] 5120x2700 29.970 = No picture, audio okay (just tried out of curiosity; Shield TV can't handle it either)
  • [8K Video] 7680x4320 29.970 = No picture, audio okay (just tried out of curiosity; Shield TV can't handle it either)
  • [Forced Subtitles] Support has been added. Tested in MKV only
  • [3D Subtitles] Supported in 3D mode
  • [Bitrates] Birds clips up to 90Mbps = plays perfectly without breaking any sweat
  • [Bitrates] Jellyfish clips up to 300Mbps = no sweat, perfect playback, whether H.264 or HEVC
    (This is a huge improvement over previous-gen Q5/Q10 4K3D. Makes Q5/Q10 Pro more than capable for any high bitrate videos as no existing or upcoming 4K's are expected to exceed 128Mbps)

Other Playback Issues & Bugs:

These two are the key remaining issues:
  1. The 3D ISO microstutters issue as 23.976 is output at 24.000 (already mentioned above)
  2. Rough left edge (white line w/video noise) in most 3D ISO's. See here.

Remote Control:

HiMedia has been using the same remote with all their media players for years. The biggest shortcoming, as already noted above, is lack of a dedicated 'Stop' button, but here's @looun's workaround (a god-send).

Support:

'B' for manufacturer support; 'A' for forum support.

HiMedia is considered part of the 'cream of the crop' when it comes to Chinese media player manufacturers, but our expectations are obviously higher. Not expecting Pi2/3-level support, but HiMedia can/should communicate better, be more forthcoming (as Zidoo has demonstrated). Thankfully we have this forum and Futeko forum, with Simon behind it. He's a dedicated and reputable reseller, and has been pushing HiMedia for improvements (to extent he can) as better quality/reliability impact his bottom line.

Tips and Tricks:
  • Remote control patch by @looun
  • Video framerate input/output Info diagnostic tool by @pcristi
  • See @OlivierQC's helpful video tutorials here.
  • Don't care for Imprex engine? Here's one way, and below another to minimize its effects and get better blacks & whites...
    (2016-04-21, 17:54)BigPines Wrote: One thing I should point out is that the external player is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this.

Wrap-Up:

HiMedia Q10 Pro mostly delivers on that next-gen experience, while retaining most of what was excellent about previous-gen. There remain a couple of key issues/bugs present, namely microstutters w/3D ISO's (as no 23.976 for 3D). HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro remain solid all-in-one A/V enthusiast media players! But, with HiMedia waiting on HiSilicon for the 3D fix (via a new SDK), and Android N also needing to be supported alongside 5.1, it may be a long wait for fixes.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
How is HiMedia Q5 Pro Different?

Although I've done tests with Q5 Pro for above, I primarily rely on Q10 Pro. Playback performance between Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro is virtually identical, but where they vary are price and hardware design.

So, HiMedia Q5 Pro...
  • Costs about $149 shipped, about $55 less than Q10 Pro
  • Has 8GB of internal storage (vs. 16GB in Q10 Pro)
  • Has a significantly smaller form factor and comes in silver (vs. black for Q10 Pro)
  • Doesn't accommodate an internal HDD like Q10 Pro
  • Has its own f/w, so don't flash with Q10 Pro's
  • Uses a slightly different case from previous-gen, but unfortunately the same poor ventilation design. As a result, it gets really hot after about an hour of use. Playback performance doesn't appear to get affected, but it's a concern nonetheless

My Family Room Theater
Here's @looun's blog with excellent coverage of Imprex Engine 2.0, options and PQ impact.
My Family Room Theater
Very well detail Review!!!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
As always, nice review! I have two questions and a comment.

1) Was the VP9 test for local playback? Have you checked whether you can get 4K 50/60fps streaming from YouTube?

2) Are you sure that the 255Mbps Jelly fish video played correctly? Have you timed the playback? It may play without artifacts, but the playback may actually be at a lower fps.

2) Since Kodi is probably a long way from supporting Dolby Vision/HDR10 or 10-bit output, an external player will be required for proper output from such content. I am just assuming that HiMedia player will actually output 10-bit and not just decode.
Thanks @movie78 and @wesk05.

1. The VP9 clips I have are from YouTube... downloaded using this tool, then played locally. Re: streaming directly via YouTube, I think the YouTube app on Q10 Pro is the usual tablet version, and unsure if it can do 4K.

2. Yeah, can't answer this until I get a proper 4K display that's 10-bit and HDR-capable at some point. Hopefully, we'll see other reviewers test this w/the right equipment.

Re: Kodi being a long way from supporting Dolby Vision/HDR10 or 10-bit output, you make a great point. I didn't know that. Maybe we could get external player w/Kodi videoplayer UI overlay on it... similar to HiMedia H8 Octa and Zidoo X6 Pro. I believe this is how it's working if I remember @Koying's comments accurately.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-25, 23:10)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks..
2. Yeah, can't answer this until I get a proper 4K display that's 10-bit and HDR-capable at some point. Hopefully, we'll see other reviewers test this w/the right equipment.
I did see your pojector info display show 10-bit, so it is getting something Smile
(2016-03-25, 19:59)hdmkv Wrote: A/V Tests:
  • [Audio] Dolby Digital 5.1 (640Kbps) = pass
  • [Audio] DD Plus 5.1 = fail (passed as standard DD5.1)
  • [Audio] DD Plus 7.1 = fail (passed as standard DD5.1)
  • [Audio] TrueHD 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] TrueHD 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] ATMOS = pass (to TrueHD 7.1 as my AVR doesn't support ATMOS, but likely yes w/ATMOS AVR's)
  • [Audio] DTS (1.5Mbps) = pass
  • [Audio] DTS HRA 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS HRA 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS-HD MA 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS-HD MA 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] DTS:X = pass (to MA 7.1 as my AVR doesn't support X, but likely yes w/X AVR's)
  • [Audio] AAC 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] FLAC 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] LPCM 5.1 = pass
  • [Audio] LPCM 7.1 = pass
  • [Audio] 96kHz, 192kHz and 96kHz/24-bit = all three pass
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 (VOB from a DVD rip) = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 1080i 4:2:0 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970 MPEG2 1080i 4:2:2 = audio okay, but picture (most media players, including nVidia Shield, can't handle this video type)
  • [Video] 59.940 MPEG2 720p = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 23.976 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper '23.97' framerate (as my projector indicates)
  • [Video] 24.000 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970/60.000 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 25.000/50.000 1080p H.264 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 23.976 1080p VC-1 = pass, playback at proper framerate
  • [Video] 29.970 1080i VC-1 = not quite pass (not smooth), but noticeably better than current-gen Q’s. Audio is in sync, but playback tad jumpy (many players struggle with this video type)
  • [3D MVC] 23.976 3D ISO = pass, playback at '24.00' framerate however (some display may not be 100% reliable for checking FPS; explanation here)
  • [3D MVC] 23.976 3D MVC = plays in 2D mode (have requested HiMedia to add support for this as container shouldn't matter; should leverage MVC decoder same as ISO)
  • [3D MVC] Left/right flipeyes = in menu option, but presently broken (have brought to HiMedia's attention; should be easily fixable)
  • [4K HEVC Video] 23.976 = Smooth playback for the most part, expect occasional frame skips that affect all videos at present
  • [4K HEVC Video] 24 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 24fps HDR 10bit = no picture with present firmware, but did play fine w/previous firmware
  • [4K HEVC Video] 25 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 29.970 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 50 = Smooth playback
  • [4K HEVC Video] 50fps 10bit = Smooth playback (this video has problematic playback on some 4K players, like AMLogic S905 h/w pre-revision C)
  • [4K HEVC Video] 59.940 = Smooth playback
  • [4K VP9 Video] Variable framerate clips = Smooth playback
  • [5K Video] 5120x2700 29.970 = No picture, audio okay (just tried out of curiosity; Shield TV can't handle it either)
  • [8K Video] 7680x4320 29.970 = No picture, audio okay (just tried out of curiosity; Shield TV can't handle it either)
  • [Forced Subtitles] Support has been added
  • [3D Subtitles] Supported
  • [Bitrates] Birds clips up to 90Mbps = no sweat, perfect playback
  • [Bitrates] Jellyfish clips up to 255Mbps = no sweat, perfect playback, whether H.264 or HEVC (this is a huge improvement over Q5/Q10 4K3D)

When it comes to discussing Dolby Atmos there are multiple Atmos formats in the wild now apparently, and already some issues have arisen.

There appear to be both Dolby Digital + Atmos and Dolby True HD Atmos tracks being released. I assume your Atmos tests were with True HD, but the fact that DD+ appears to be an issue suggests that DD+ Atmos may also be an issue?

I'd probably edit to reflect that you were testing "Dolby True HD Atmos" - as readers might think that all "Atmos=pass" means all Atmos tracks were likely to be OK, whereas I'm not sure DD+ Atmos stuff will be (if DD+ isn't properly output?)

(Apparently the DD+ Atmos is used for foreign language 'dub' tracks on some releases that may have True HD Atmos for the main release track)
In the U.S., with the few BD's I've seen, it's ATMOS + TrueHD + core. In EU, it seems some have DD+, but in place of what? TrueHD? I'd expect if a user's AVR doesn't support ATMOS, it would output as TrueHD (as in my case), and then if no HD audio, as core DD5.1. Basically, I'd expect there to be backwards compatibility or fallbacks that work, but just guessing.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-26, 15:06)hdmkv Wrote: In the U.S., with the few BD's I've seen, it's ATMOS + TrueHD + core. In EU, it seems some have DD+, but in place of what? TrueHD? I'd expect if a user's AVR doesn't support ATMOS, it would output as TrueHD (as in my case), and then if no HD audio, as core DD5.1. Basically, I'd expect there to be backwards compatibility or fallbacks that work, but just guessing.

European releases are often original sound track in Lossless, foreign dubs in high-quality lossy (though sometimes there is also a Lossless French or German track). I think the same is true for Atmos releases.

OST in True HD with Atmos, additional language dubs in DD+ with Atmos. (There isn't the bandwith required for multiple True HD tracks)

These DD+ with Atmos tracks are separate tracks with different audio and not related to True HD trakcs. The question is whether DD+ with Atmos tracks are output as : DD, DD+ or DD+ with Atmos.
There are at least two titles released for the EU region that have been reported to have secondary audio tracks in Dolby Digital Plus Atmos (American Sniper, Everest). There could be many more titles out there. Dolby Atmos does work with the passthrough v16 build and also with SPMC. In Kodi v17.0 all Dolby Digital Plus tracks are decoded to PCM. So, there will be no Atmos from Dolby Digital Plus. The reason given by @fritsch was that FFmpeg cannot correctly identify 5.1 vs 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus and also some other reason that I can't remember now.

As for the Q10 Pro, if it cannot passthrough Dolby Digital Plus from it's native video player, it is definitely something that needs to be fixed in firmware. You could try SPMC 16.1.2 and see whether it is any different.

Here is a sample with Dolby Digital Plus Atmos (the third track) - Unbroken Dolby Digital Plus Sample

All the tracks in Dolby Atmos demo discs have secondary Dolby Digital Plus Atmos. If the Dolby Atmos samples provided in the Wiki are direct copies from the disc, they will have Dolby Digital Plus Atmos. BTW, those dropbox links are dead.
As always, great detailed review hdmkv.
So does this new player finally have a Stop button and it now supports chapters in mkv?

Regarding DD+ Atmos, I believe some movies on Hulu on Demand have this kind of audio track.
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2016-03-26, 21:55)ArieS Wrote: Regarding DD+ Atmos, I believe some movies on Hulu on Demand have this kind of audio track.
Hulu? I don't think so. All Dolby Atmos movies on Vudu are with Dolby Digital Plus, but then that is available only on Roku.
(2016-03-26, 21:55)ArieS Wrote: As always, great detailed review hdmkv.
So does this new player finally have a Stop button and it now supports chapters in mkv?
Thanks. No to 'stop' button as it's the same meh remote HiMedia seems to love, but yes to chapter support in MKV.

(2016-03-26, 21:50)wesk05 Wrote: In Kodi v17.0 all Dolby Digital Plus tracks are decoded to PCM.

As for the Q10 Pro, if it cannot passthrough Dolby Digital Plus from it's native video player, it is definitely something that needs to be fixed in firmware. You could try SPMC 16.1.2 and see whether it is any different.

I'm getting no audio at all with DD+ with @afedchin's MVC Kodi 17 builds. Guessing same would happen w/regular Windows builds.

Let me try SPMC 16.1.2 on Q10 Pro, and see what happens w/DD+ 5.1 and 7.1.
My Family Room Theater
Awesome man!! Thanks for the review.

• 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8