• 8(current)
Win HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7
Hello guys. I'm trying to setup windows share on android app. But I need to enter username and pass. WTF? I haven't installed Windows Live Sign In Assistant.
Why is this so difficult with THIS program? Honestly, I don't see why many thousands of users have to put up with a difficult process to get this to work, instead of fixing Kodi to function better.

I installed Kodi on my primary PC that has a 4 TB hard drive, and it works great, looks great plays movies fine. I have 2 other pc's, a laptop and a mini pc (my media pc) all talking fine to each other over the homegroup network, sharing files, having no problems.

BUT, Kodi on the other pc's just won't find the shared 4 TB movie hard drive. I've been spending HOURS trying the installation and configuration wiki, and all the suggestions on this forum thread.

It's ridiculous and stupid on the part of whoever made Kodi that they have at this point (V16 Jarvis) still have not made this process work more fluidly. If I can access the hard drive and play a movie with VLC from both my other computers, then there is no reason that Kodi shouldn't be just that simple.
(2016-01-28, 15:52)lnsnorm Wrote: Why is this so difficult with THIS program? Honestly, I don't see why many thousands of users have to put up with a difficult process to get this to work, instead of fixing Kodi to function better.

I installed Kodi on my primary PC that has a 4 TB hard drive, and it works great, looks great plays movies fine. I have 2 other pc's, a laptop and a mini pc (my media pc) all talking fine to each other over the homegroup network, sharing files, having no problems.

BUT, Kodi on the other pc's just won't find the shared 4 TB movie hard drive. I've been spending HOURS trying the installation and configuration wiki, and all the suggestions on this forum thread.

It's ridiculous and stupid on the part of whoever made Kodi that they have at this point (V16 Jarvis) still have not made this process work more fluidly. If I can access the hard drive and play a movie with VLC from both my other computers, then there is no reason that Kodi shouldn't be just that simple.

You can manually enter the path. Kodi doesn't have to find the drive.
(2016-01-29, 06:23)Warner306 Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 15:52)lnsnorm Wrote: Why is this so difficult with THIS program? Honestly, I don't see why many thousands of users have to put up with a difficult process to get this to work, instead of fixing Kodi to function better.

You can manually enter the path. Kodi doesn't have to find the drive.

I stand by my original comment. It's ridiculous that plenty of programs will simply FIND a shared folder, but Kodi cannot seem to accomplish this task. "deleted"
Gentlemen; could you possibly help with a sharing issue please ? Only some films are being shown in a networked folder despite there being twice as many actually in it.

I followed the methods above and managed to share a film filled folder on my PC with a wireless networked Gbox, loaded with a Kodi installation linked to my TV. Both my PC and the Gbox have the same build of Kodi.

On my PC, I can watch films in Kodi in all their glory, no problem, 102 in all and they all run nicely in Kodi. On my Gbox, in kodi, only 43 are shown as being present in that shared folder on my PC. No filters are in operation for the files in Kodi on the Gbox. I thought, well, maybe it's the codecs in Kodi but that is why I have now used the same build on both devices and the problem persists.

To make things even more interesting, I tried converting one of the films that does not show up in the Gbox to a different format on the PC (to an AVI from MKV in fact) and lo and behold, it showed up on the Gbox as a new file. I did this twice, with a different file, and the same occurred.

The files that are not showing up are in various regularly used formats, mp4, mkv, avi, so I can't see it being due to non-compatibility as there are so many missing on the Gbox and the same build of Kodi sees and plays them on the PC.

Any ideas on this gents please ?
I had this set-up a while ago, not knowing it would be gone with my Windows 10 update.
Is there also a how-to for a Kodi set-up with Windows 10? Really want my Pi back as mediaplayer
(2016-01-06, 22:34)pryanic Wrote: Hello guys. I'm trying to setup windows share on android app. But I need to enter username and pass. WTF? I haven't installed Windows Live Sign In Assistant.

You need to use the Windows username and password of the PC you are trying to access.

(2016-05-03, 20:22)Joeneunited Wrote: I had this set-up a while ago, not knowing it would be gone with my Windows 10 update.
Is there also a how-to for a Kodi set-up with Windows 10? Really want my Pi back as mediaplayer

If you have recently updated to Windows 10 then you will need to re-share your folders and make sure Windows has designated the same drive letters.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2016-02-08, 20:23)davekent Wrote: Gentlemen; could you possibly help with a sharing issue please ? Only some films are being shown in a networked folder despite there being twice as many actually in it.

I followed the methods above and managed to share a film filled folder on my PC with a wireless networked Gbox, loaded with a Kodi installation linked to my TV. Both my PC and the Gbox have the same build of Kodi.

On my PC, I can watch films in Kodi in all their glory, no problem, 102 in all and they all run nicely in Kodi. On my Gbox, in kodi, only 43 are shown as being present in that shared folder on my PC. No filters are in operation for the files in Kodi on the Gbox. I thought, well, maybe it's the codecs in Kodi but that is why I have now used the same build on both devices and the problem persists.

To make things even more interesting, I tried converting one of the films that does not show up in the Gbox to a different format on the PC (to an AVI from MKV in fact) and lo and behold, it showed up on the Gbox as a new file. I did this twice, with a different file, and the same occurred.

The files that are not showing up are in various regularly used formats, mp4, mkv, avi, so I can't see it being due to non-compatibility as there are so many missing on the Gbox and the same build of Kodi sees and plays them on the PC.

Any ideas on this gents please ?

Probably not related, but Kodi has the annoying -- and totally unnecessary -- habit of not honoring symbolic links to directories inside a shared folder. It will show the folders, but they'll be empty upon entry (inside Kodi only). The sole way to 'trick' Kodi, in this case, is to use Junctions. Like I said: totally unnecessary and annoying.
(2016-05-03, 22:14)levi.baker88 Wrote: If you have recently updated to Windows 10 then you will need to re-share your folders and make sure Windows has designated the same drive letters.
I got this working now, but I have another problem: I got 9 movies in my shared folder called "Movies". My library is only showing 8 of those 9. When I go to Video's > Movies, its randomly showing any of these movies. Sometimes I see 3, then I hit back, and try again and get 8 and the next time all 9. It's like I never can reach all of them.
Same for series, on my shared folder called 'Series'. I only get ep1 of GoT, while there are 2 files in that folder already. There's still 1 thing not going as it should be, and I don't know what it is. It's not the naming of the files, because all the episodes are named the same, and it worked before.
Maybe check the permissions of the folders you are sharing to see if there is anything obvious you can see wrong, may not hurt to double check the naming convention also.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
Something really strange is going on, is there a way I can create an own thread? I think the IRPStackSize in the registry also might have something to do with it. Saw it on another forum.
Put a post in the thread of the Operating System you have, but you really don't need to mess with regedit to get Windows sharing to work
I started to have problems connecting to my media drives after the last KODI update. So here is what I have for a setup to shed light on the issue that I had.
I have movies and some tv shows on 2 WD external drives attached via USB on my Windows 10 machine as well as 2 NAS connected to my network. I use KODI on a Raspberry Pi2b and stream everything through my network. The NAS has no problems but the 2 drives attached to my Windows 10 machine kept prompting me for a username and password. Now I never set them up with usernames and passwords..just the default share within windows. I tried every thing with shareing the drives and adding users and what not. So just for kicks I put in my windows login (something that Windows 10 has that I really hate) information into KODI when it prompts me and now it's all working. Very annoying.

This is what I had to do to get it all working for me. Hope it helps.
^^ If you're running Win 10 on that Raspberry Pi2b, then Credential Manager is your friend. Smile
(2016-05-16, 00:29)gilvagor Wrote: I started to have problems connecting to my media drives after the last KODI update. So here is what I have for a setup to shed light on the issue that I had.
I have movies and some tv shows on 2 WD external drives attached via USB on my Windows 10 machine as well as 2 NAS connected to my network. I use KODI on a Raspberry Pi2b and stream everything through my network. The NAS has no problems but the 2 drives attached to my Windows 10 machine kept prompting me for a username and password. Now I never set them up with usernames and passwords..just the default share within windows. I tried every thing with shareing the drives and adding users and what not. So just for kicks I put in my windows login (something that Windows 10 has that I really hate) information into KODI when it prompts me and now it's all working. Very annoying.

This is what I had to do to get it all working for me. Hope it helps.

This is mentioned in the SMB wiki...
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 74