• 477(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
That did it. Thank you Matt! And I appreciate you including explanations in your responses so that the rest of us can understand why the system is behaving the way it is instead of just telling us the solution alone. I am having a small issue with an addon now, but I will handle that on a more appropriate thread.

Keep up all of the good work!
So I have another question... the LibreELEC version that I used (Generic x86_64, v7.90.007), contained a beta version of Kodi, which may or may not be causing me problems with other add ons. Is there a simple way to change the version of Kodi (or LibreELEC for that matter)?

Or is the only solution to create a bootable USB with the ISO on it, plug it in and open a terminal, run the ChromeOS device Firmware Utility script, restore stock firmware, do a factory reset, and then reinstall a new version of LibreELEC? I started to do this route but creating the bootable USB with the ISO image was getting slightly confusing for me so I figured I would check with you first.

Again, thanks for all of your help and your quick replies. This is my first time doing this so I have been making a lot of unnecessary mistakes. If I do it again, hopefully it will all go much smoother.
(2016-10-17, 01:10)treml96 Wrote: So I have another question... the LibreELEC version that I used (Generic x86_64, v7.90.007), contained a beta version of Kodi, which may or may not be causing me problems with other add ons. Is there a simple way to change the version of Kodi (or LibreELEC for that matter)?
LibreELEC and Kodi are intertwined, you update (or downgrade) them as a single unit. If the addons you want to use aren't fully compatible with Kodi v17 yet, you can downgrade to LibreELEC 7.0.2 (stable) which contains Kodi 16.1. Just create a new USB/SD installer like you did before, but for LE 7.0.2, which is based on Kodi 16.1 (stable).

Quote:Or is the only solution to create a bootable USB with the ISO on it, plug it in and open a terminal, run the ChromeOS device Firmware Utility script, restore stock firmware, do a factory reset, and then reinstall a new version of LibreELEC? I started to do this route but creating the bootable USB with the ISO image was getting slightly confusing for me so I figured I would check with you first.
whoa whoa whoa. The Kodi EZ Setup Script is only needed for the initial standalone setup. After that, you do everything else like you would on a standard PC. The only reason to go back to the stock firmware and restore ChromeOS is because you want to use ChromeOS (or sell it as a stock Chromebox).
(2016-10-17, 01:28)Matt Devo Wrote: LibreELEC and Kodi are intertwined, you update (or downgrade) them as a single unit. If the addons you want to use aren't fully compatible with Kodi v17 yet, you can downgrade to LibreELEC 7.0.2 (stable) which contains Kodi 16.1. Just create a new USB/SD installer like you did before, but for LE 7.0.2, which is based on Kodi 16.1 (stable).

Hi Matt,

I setup my Asus chromebox (M004U) back in the summer of 2015 and used it for about 5 months, then moved and never had a chance to hook it up at the new house until a month ago (planning to get another one now as the kids are fighting over it Sad . Anyway, I upgraded the OpenElec to the latest stable version 6.0.3 by just downloading the .tar file and putting it into the update directory. Worked fine. Then last week I decided to go the LE and did the same thing with latest stable version of LE. For whatever reason, I started experiencing temporary video freezing after the LE upgrade so I downgraded back to the OE 6.0.3 via the same manual update procedure. I now see your comment above in regards using a USB/SD installer. Can you not downgrade via the manual update procedure?

I apologize in advance if the answer is obvious and that I am just being dense.

Regards,
P
(2016-10-17, 18:40)paolotca Wrote: I now see your comment above in regards using a USB/SD installer. Can you not downgrade via the manual update procedure?

I apologize in advance if the answer is obvious and that I am just being dense.

while you can downgrade via a manual update, it's highly advisable to do a soft reset immediately afterwards via the LibreELEC settings, so that all user data/settings are cleared and do not interfere with the older LE/Kodi version
I've recently bought a Samsung KS9000 and have the Chromebox running OE from this script, and when I change the source to the HDMI to view Kodi via the AVR, the TV see's it as a PC input. This can be over-ridden in the TV source settings, but this never happened with my previous Panasonic plasma. Have you heard of similar, or have any thoughts how to make it appear as a set top box input rather than PC? The colours and blacks look as they should, I have the colour setting in Kodi to send full colour not limited.

Thanks
(2016-10-21, 19:55)t2ffn Wrote: I've recently bought a Samsung KS9000 and have the Chromebox running OE from this script, and when I change the source to the HDMI to view Kodi via the AVR, the TV see's it as a PC input. This can be over-ridden in the TV source settings, but this never happened with my previous Panasonic plasma. Have you heard of similar, or have any thoughts how to make it appear as a set top box input rather than PC? The colours and blacks look as they should, I have the colour setting in Kodi to send full colour not limited.

Thanks
some displays try to auto detect color space based on flags in the HDMI video stream. Current versions of LibreELEC should correctly set this via the Intel video driver, but if not you can set it either via a startup script or just change the display's setting.
Thanks Matt, I'm running OpenElec as I set this box up way way back. Is it simple to move to LibreElec by dropping a file in the update folder?

Thanks
(2016-10-22, 01:50)t2ffn Wrote: Thanks Matt, I'm running OpenElec as I set this box up way way back. Is it simple to move to LibreElec by dropping a file in the update folder?

Thanks
yep, just a manual update, assuming your primary (system) partition isn't too small. instructions are on LE's site
Thanks, I managed to upgrade to LE but it was the Krypton build so I reverted back to OE and I couldn't find a LE for Jarvis 16.1.

It's confirmed now that the Chromebox, on boot, sends an unsupported (PC) resolution, and if it's booted while that HMDI isn't on screen it often results in a black screen and needs power cycling while the TV is set to view the Chromebox HMDI source. It did this on my last TV, I used to note that if I powered up the Chromebox (usually was on 24/7) before turning the TV on, I'd need to reboot it again to get anything on screen.

So, any idea how I can stop it sending unsupported / PC resolutions on boot, or how I can upgrade to LE 16.1 if this also fixes the issue on boot?

I've ran this set up for years but with this recent issue since buying a new TV I'm starting to look for a 'set top box' solution as it's very frustrating if I need to reboot for any reason I pretty much have to bring a PC monitor into the living room to get it running!

Thanks in advance
(2016-10-22, 20:36)t2ffn Wrote: Thanks, I managed to upgrade to LE but it was the Krypton build so I reverted back to OE and I couldn't find a LE for Jarvis 16.1.

It's confirmed now that the Chromebox, on boot, sends an unsupported (PC) resolution, and if it's booted while that HMDI isn't on screen it often results in a black screen and needs power cycling while the TV is set to view the Chromebox HMDI source. It did this on my last TV, I used to note that if I powered up the Chromebox (usually was on 24/7) before turning the TV on, I'd need to reboot it again to get anything on screen.

So, any idea how I can stop it sending unsupported / PC resolutions on boot, or how I can upgrade to LE 16.1 if this also fixes the issue on boot?

I've ran this set up for years but with this recent issue since buying a new TV I'm starting to look for a 'set top box' solution as it's very frustrating if I need to reboot for any reason I pretty much have to bring a PC monitor into the living room to get it running!

Thanks in advance

in another thread, a user having a similar issue was able to fix it by using my UEFI firmware rather than the Legacy one installed by the Kodi EZ Setup Script. What you would need to do is boot a Linux USB (eg, Ubuntu or GalliumOS), run my Firmware Utility Script, update the firmware, and choose UEFI when prompted. After that, re-install LibreELEC fresh. You can create the install media using LE's USB/SD creator tool, or using the EZ Setup Script - just be sure to choose version 7.0.2 stable, not 7.90.007.
The LE download page has a LE 7.02 image, which is kodi 16.1. Download the tar file and update in the normal way.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-10-23, 00:39)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-10-22, 20:36)t2ffn Wrote: Thanks, I managed to upgrade to LE but it was the Krypton build so I reverted back to OE and I couldn't find a LE for Jarvis 16.1.

Thanks in advance

in another thread, a user having a similar issue was able to fix it by using my UEFI firmware rather than the Legacy one installed by the Kodi EZ Setup Script. What you would need to do is boot a Linux USB (eg, Ubuntu or GalliumOS), run my Firmware Utility Script, update the firmware, and choose UEFI when prompted. After that, re-install LibreELEC fresh. You can create the install media using LE's USB/SD creator tool, or using the EZ Setup Script - just be sure to choose version 7.0.2 stable, not 7.90.007.

I am having the same issue with my KS8000, Yamaha RX-A550 & Asus Chromebox running both Legacy/UEFI & Intel-openelc 6 / Libreelec 7.02. I tried flashing the UEFI firmware after having used the legacy firmware for years & can confirm the TV still resets the input to PC. I also picked up a JU7100 from 2015 & did not have this issue, but had to upgrade with the KS8000 sale that has been going on recently. The KS8000 is only TV of about 10 that I have tested it with that has this problem.

I swapped the Chromebox with an odroid c2 & it did not reset the input, so it is an isolated issue with the Chromebox, KS8000 & A/V receiver. I love my Chromebox & hopefully can get this resolved, but I don't think it will & my only solution is to replace it with a different box. Its worth the time saved having to select the input & reset all devices to get picture formatted properly with Movie mode selected every time I want to watch TV. At least with more 4K HEVC coming down the pipes, the Chromebox was going to be on its way out in the near future but not so soon Sad . It served me well for few years thanks again to Mr Chromebox!
(2016-11-03, 21:44)Chilll Wrote: I am having the same issue with my KS8000, Yamaha RX-A550 & Asus Chromebox running both Legacy/UEFI & Intel-openelc 6 / Libreelec 7.02. I tried flashing the UEFI firmware after having used the legacy firmware for years & can confirm the TV still resets the input to PC. I also picked up a JU7100 from 2015 & did not have this issue, but had to upgrade with the KS8000 sale that has been going on recently. The KS8000 is only TV of about 10 that I have tested it with that has this problem.

I swapped the Chromebox with an odroid c2 & it did not reset the input, so it is an isolated issue with the Chromebox, KS8000 & A/V receiver. I love my Chromebox & hopefully can get this resolved, but I don't think it will & my only solution is to replace it with a different box. Its worth the time saved having to select the input & reset all devices to get picture formatted properly with Movie mode selected every time I want to watch TV. At least with more 4K HEVC coming down the pipes, the Chromebox was going to be on its way out in the near future but not so soon Sad . It served me well for few years thanks again to Mr Chromebox!

can you provide more detail about what input signal the KS8000 is getting such that it determines it to be a "PC" input vs another type? If it's an issue with the color space, that should be able to be resolved by changing the driver mode via an xrandr command in an autostart.sh script. If you can, fire up an ssh session to your Chromebox, and run 'xrandr --props' and see what the Broadcast RGB setting is. The default is automatic; you can try setting it via ssh to Limited 16:235 via 'xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"' (alternately, try the "Video 16:235 pass-through" option)
(2016-11-04, 05:46)Matt Devo Wrote: can you provide more detail about what input signal the KS8000 is getting such that it determines it to be a "PC" input vs another type? If it's an issue with the color space, that should be able to be resolved by changing the driver mode via an xrandr command in an autostart.sh script. If you can, fire up an ssh session to your Chromebox, and run 'xrandr --props' and see what the Broadcast RGB setting is. The default is automatic; you can try setting it via ssh to Limited 16:235 via 'xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"' (alternately, try the "Video 16:235 pass-through" option)

I dont know why or how the KS8000 determines the input to be "PC", its like its too damn smart for its own good. This is the 1st time I ever splurged for a high end model TV & this issue is honestly the biggest pain in the butt since I have to spend 5 mins every time I want to watch TV to get it showing properly (the wife hates it). The whole issue with it being labeled as "PC" is you are limited to 2 picture modes & cannot use "Movie" which is what you want for color accuracy. I have the JU71000 2015 Samsung model & never had an issue once with it relabeling inputs on me. Im guessing its related to the KS8000 firmware & Chromebox. I just removed the AV receiver from the chain & went straight from Chromebox to KS8000, issue still persist. Tested powering on the TV 1st, Chromebox 2nd, vice versa, makes no difference. When both the TV & Chromebox are off & then powered on, the TV relabels the input as "PC" every time. Ive scoured through the all the TV menus for any setting that could be related, nothing I can find.

I ran the commands & it was set to "Automatic". I was able to change the Broadcast RGB modes as u suggested, but they don't stick on reboot. So I am unable to confirm if forcing them prevents the TV from re-detecting the input as "PC" When I reboot, it returns to automatic. Im willing to do anymore testing on the issue you may have, thanks for spending time on looking for a fix!

xrandr --props output
  • 477(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37