• 57(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
here is the log

http://pastebin.com/djmCwnKq

i see some stuff about wasapi (the file played for the test was caprica s01e03)

When i got no sound, i disabled and then re enabled and re disabled passthrough
It could be that KODI is getting confused by the TV telling it that it can handle more audio formats than the amp really can.

Samsung TV says it can handle the following: "AE_FMT_DTSHD,AE_FMT_TRUEHD,AE_FMT_EAC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_S24NE4MSB,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_S16BE,AE_FMT_LPCM" but also only talks of 2 channels.

Trouble is, it then passes those through to the Amp which gets confused with all the new fangled formats.

Any chance to give us the model of the Amp? Or even better a link to an online page about it?

Does it have any indicator lights on it to tell when it is receiving Dolby Digital, etc?

What should be enabled in KODI is "Enable Passthrough" and "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver". That should then tell KODI to push the pure AC3 through to the TV to pass to the amp. Then for everything else that is unticked KODI would re-encode it based on the rules at the top half of the page.

You also need to tell KODI how many speakers you have. At the top where it says Number of Channels, you want to change that to 5.1 so KODI can correctly re-encode the audio for those newer formats your amp won't understand.

In your debug log, looking around the 21:26:13 time it can be seen where the video is being opened up, the AC3 6.0 channel audio located in the video, and then it is getting converted to 2 channels as per your non-passthrough settings.

Personally with my old Onkyo amp I use a separate SPDIF connection for audio. This then avoids any confusion brought on by the TV screen being newer\fancier. It also seems logical to my head - one cable for video, one cable for audio. But that's how my head works Smile
(2016-06-04, 02:14)rcocchiararo Wrote: PS2: if i am not clear, what i showed was exactly what i use, but with passthrough disabled, to get audio in DD 5.1 files.
You get Audio that way with passthrough off as you are telling KODI to re-encode to a 2.0 speaker output. I assume only two speakers are working at the amp when that test is played?
(2016-06-04, 02:41)rcocchiararo Wrote: here is the log

http://pastebin.com/djmCwnKq

i see some stuff about wasapi (the file played for the test was caprica s01e03)

When i got no sound, i disabled and then re enabled and re disabled passthrough

The problem is that WASAPI fails to initialise with exclusive access.

Follow this http://kodi.wiki/view/windows_audio to make sure Exclusive mode is enabled. Also check you have latest drivers from Intel for HDMI audio.
I am a bit confused, as i was when i started with receivers and chanels and such XD

Before knowing KODI, i was using PLEX home theatre.

I had this same 50 inches samsung dumb LCD that supports a few audio formats, but has only 2 speakers.

My pc at that time had optical out, so i had that pluged to my Samsung HT-F450K via optical, and i had video on the TV via HDMI.

The K "version" must be for latin america, cause i find its page only in spanish. Here is the non k one, in english:
http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/tv-av...T-F450K/ZN

When i had that setup, i found out that even tho my receiver had 5.1 speakers, audio sent via optical in AC3 was compressed/encoded via 2 chanels or something like that (or that i could not select more than PCM 2 channels).

With all audio connected via optical and the tv set for external speakers, only PCM2 option was not grayed out in the tv settings (DTSneo and other options non selectable). EDIT: I read/remember now that those options on the TV are only for when the TV is the one decoding, and its not the case when audio comes in through HDMI and is sent out via optical (weird thing is that only pcm should be selectable tho)

That way, when media was AC3 i had proper 5.1, and when media was anything else, i got 2.0 stereo, and enabled the receiver "emulation" so that i got some kind of audio on the extra speakers (emulation cant be enabled when audio is AC3 5.1 dolby digital).

Then came the new pc, which has only HDMI and stereo miniplug for audio out.
Worse, my receiver has only optical in, and ONE hdmi out (that can receive audio from the TV, but only if the TV has ARC as a feature in its HDMI, and mine does not).

Now, as i said, if i use PLEX MEDIA PLAYER, which has an option to use exclusive audio mode (it is not automatic, i have to check it), i get 5.1 audio when media is AC3 5.1 dolby digital, and 2.0 when it is not.

With the same setup, and same drivers, kodi plays audio for non AC3 media, and silence for such media.

I guess i must be doing something wrong, since kodi has far more options.

With my old and new setup, in plex, i had to chose 2.0 chanels, as i had only those via SPDIF, and when i had AC3 it was a special case, but it was still 2.0 PCM chanels.

Maybe my history with other software is making things more complicated for me now Tongue

So, it is a FACT that i need to set my audio chanels to 5.1, even if SPDIF supports only 2?
Should i enable "enable dolby digital (AC3) transcoding?

Will look at that wiki, since exclusive mode SHOULD be ok, because plex media server has no issues using it.
My audio driver is kinda old, and was installed by windows 10.

I leave some photos of my drivers, and some extra stuff that is related.

I had seen somewhere about the "Intel Management Engine Interface driver", but that place also said it was not for AC3, only for "better/newer" formats. And since i dont have it and plex media theater worked, i guessed it was really not needed for AC3.

As you can see in the pictures, the tv tells windows that is supports kinda.. nothing, and has only 2 chanels.
That was always the case on the old setup also, but with everything SPDIF, it worked, and it also works now with plex media theater (meby plex is doing some dirty hack?)

Will fully check that wiki that was linked to me here.

https://goo.gl/photos/fQA2gKV9U2XUbjmJ9

If possible, please clarify my doubt about setting 2.0/5.1 when using SPDIF, and also the "enable ac3 transcoding" thingie.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings

There i see conflicting info about the number of chanels (2.0 vs 5.1)

There is no intel management interface driver for my computer, but it should not be needed for AC3.

Also:

Enable Dolby Digital transcoding

Select this if the audio out connection only supports multichannel audio as Dolby Digital 5.1, such as an SPDIF connection. If your system supports LPCM multichannel sound via HDMI then leave this disabled. This option is only available where the number of channels is 2.0, for SPDIF this is set automatically so this option is always available, if using HDMI then you may need to change the Number of Channels setting to 2.0.

--

What might be confusing/problematic here, is that i am sending audio to the TV using HDMI, and the TV then sends it down to the receiver via SPDIF.

I tried all sorts of combinations of 2.0/5.1 and enabling/disabling that transcoding setting to no avail tho, will install a newer audio driver and test again, but i still think that if plex does it, the hardware/software was ok.
Did some more testing.

Setting channels to 2.0 allows me to enable the dolby digital transcoding (all the information i get tells me that if my receiver, which has 5.1 speakers, only understands AC3 5.1 DD, only 2 channels must be selected).

IF i enable DD transcoding and play something NOT in AC3 5.1 DD, it gets transcoded, and again, i get NO audio with passthrough enabled.

I am now running the latest posible GPU drivers, but the audio driver version remains the same (latest available from intel).

I have no idea what plex media player does, but it correctly uses exclusive mode and passthrough works.
I am now researching an edid override, just in case kodi needs it.

EDIT>

Edid override is not compatible with intel on windows T_T
@rcocchiararo EDID override is indeed compatible with Windows.
Basically a Windows EDID override works like a display driver with hardcoded display capabilities.
You can follow >this guide<
@jjd-uk

THANK YOU for the great posts/thread. I just switched from FireTV to Windows so I could get Atmos working and it was a B-TCH. Your first few posts helped me isolate the problem - you will NEVER guess what the issue was... the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter! But I also think I found a bug in Kodi (explained below)

PLEASE add this to your FAQ... problem could be with DP to HDMI adapter. mine was HP brand, DP 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 adapter, part #778968-001

Issue the HP adapter gave me (possible bug?):

1. Audio streamed when... WASAPI ON + TrueHD OFF (all other audio codecs on) -- but Kodi seemed to only send PCM (Denon AVR shows "Multi In", detection of PCM audio)
2. No Audio, at all when... TrueHD ON. No sound on any video, Denon receiver showed no audio being input from any video encoding (DTS, DD, DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc)
... this is why I suspect a bug in Kodi that if TrueHD is OFF it only sends PCM even though the DTS-HD should have worked
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2016-11-22, 10:15)ilGimmy Wrote: @rcocchiararo EDID override is indeed compatible with Windows.
Basically a Windows EDID override works like a display driver with hardcoded display capabilities.
You can follow >this guide<

thx for the guide, will check it for my main pc with an nvidia card.

on my media server, with the intel card, i cant use it because intel drivers ignore edid overrides.

i bought one of those devices that do the edid override on hardware (you connect the hdmi to it, and then another hdmi from it to the tv, and you can also send audio from it via optical too.
if i only use hdmi, i still get only audio without passthroug, or with directsound (seems like 2.0 to me that way tho).

I tried many times with different combinations without success.

i did this testing on my main pc tho.

also, if i extract the audio from the optical cable, audio passthrough works.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2geemld9n5g0p...MA1ka?dl=0

those are the logs, if someone wants/can help me.

I kinda need to do it with hdmi only, or i have to buy an optic splitter for when my wife watches tv.
I am now connected to my intel based mini pc.

it too, detects the support for dd5.1 and DTS provided by the device i bought (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AWDZU90/r...SHCGQ2B8QH)

with this pc, i get no sound with passthrough enabled either with wasapi or direct3d.

enabling or disabling ac3 transcoding does nothing too (on the nvidia card i needed that disabled to get audio in direct3d mode).

i see kodi getting all kinds of audio formats not supported messages, which is weird, neither the device not the tv support all those.

I updated my dropbox folder with more logs.

EDIT: remember that this same hardware setup (pc > HDMI to tv > spdif to dd5.1 home theatre ) can do passthough when using plex media player
If you get passthrough when connecting optical direct to receiver and don't go through the TV, then the problem will be with the TV, are you sure the audio settings on the TV are correct? what model of TV is it?
(2017-01-22, 18:54)jjd-uk Wrote: If you get passthrough when connecting optical direct to receiver and don't go through the TV, then the problem will be with the TV, are you sure the audio settings on the TV are correct? what model of TV is it?

TV is just set to use external speakers.

I believe the issue is something kodi needs, because it works with plex media center.

I was led to believe that the issue was with windows only seeing the 2 speakers from the tv and me needing this new device in the middle, or EDID override (unsuported on intel).

Now i have the device, and still the same issue.

Maybe plex media player has some kind of "hax" Tongue

IT also worked with a friend´s ps3.

The tv is a samsung UN50F5000
Dear Friends,

I've faced issues with Audio Stuttering.

Let me ask you if my issue is related to this topic or should I ask somewhere else?

My configuration is:
HTPC Beelink Z83II + Windows 10 (64) + KODI v17.0 + Addon MediaAggregator + TV Panasonic TX-47ASR750
I'm watching movies with torrent streaming

Kodi config is almost default.

Here're examples of Audio Stuttering during playback:

Please tell me what kind of data may be needed and where should I ask?
Or if you have had similar issues and know how to resolve please tell me. It would be highly apprecciated.

Any update?

B.R.
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10