v17 DVBlink crashes Kodi
Hello everyone,

Has anyone noticed DVBlink crashing in the newly released v17.0 final?
For me i've seen it crash kodi in different situations. These include:

1) When exiting kodi - at first i thought exiting whilst the PVR manager was firing up grabbing channels,recorded tv, guide etc from the backend but this turned out to be untrue as crashes have occured well after PVR manager has done its business.
2) When stopping live tv or a recording
3) When setting a timer / one off recording
4) Random situations / button presses

I'd be more specific and provide logs but it happens so randomly i cant keep up with it.
Anyone else having issues? Please someone tell me youre facing the same woes Sad

EDIT: forgot to mention when i disable the DVBlink addon the crashes stop so i know its this addon!
Dvblink add-on support seems to be abandoned by dvblogic. I suggest to switch to an alternative pvr backend.
Man that sucks balls! Yeah ive been trying to find a suitable alternative, i made enquiries in this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=230060
but the problem is i need a backend that can serve remotely i.e. from another country

Long story short i have my backend HTPC in the UK and im in australia Confused

Not many backends can do it
(2017-02-19, 12:10)sadsack5000 Wrote: Man that sucks balls! Yeah ive been trying to find a suitable alternative, i made enquiries in this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=230060
but the problem is i need a backend that can serve remotely i.e. from another country

Don't know for others, but tvheadend can.

I'm living in Germany and from time to time I'm using a tvheadend server in Finland. Works just fine.
(2017-02-19, 12:10)sadsack5000 Wrote: Man that sucks balls! Yeah ive been trying to find a suitable alternative, i made enquiries in this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=230060

TV Headend certainly can - either through port forwarding or VPNs. If you have a good enough IP connection you can stream natively, otherwise you can enable transcoding to reduce the bitrate.

It is even possible to add channels from a remote TV Headend server to a local one - though there are caveats.
(2017-02-19, 11:40)ksooo Wrote: Dvblink add-on support seems to be abandoned by dvblogic. I suggest to switch to an alternative pvr backend.

Do you know that for certain? It developed a version for Kodi 17 and it seems to be working fine for me.

Andy
(2017-02-19, 23:52)AndyHenderson Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 11:40)ksooo Wrote: Dvblink add-on support seems to be abandoned by dvblogic. I suggest to switch to an alternative pvr backend.

Do you know that for certain? It developed a version for Kodi 17 and it seems to be working fine for me.

Andy

Yes, I'm pretty sure as I know how slow they are reacting on any requests regarding the Kodi add-on if at all and I know the actual quality of that add-on, because I know the code. They stated in their support forum that they are not responsible for this add-on and that team Kodi maintains it which is nonsense.
Gentlemen,

The reports of our death are greatly exaggerated.

Although we might be not the fastest to react on Kodi Ddvblink addon development requests, we continue to support and maintain the addon.
I believe that except for a hanging issue after not using for a long time, reported on our forums, and a couple of cosmetic fixes there is not outstanding work to be done at the moment.

As for a topic started, I suggest to try cleaning the Kodi tv database from a setting menu to see if it helps.
This thread reports a crash, not a hang. So I tend to say there is more than just one problem. Read what users write here and in dvblogic support forum. ;-)

Users reported issues with Krypton in dvblogic support forum, to my knowledge so far without any helpful reaction from you guys.

But it's good to hear that you are still willing to maintain the add-on. I'm happy to assist, for instance with code review for your PRs.
(2017-02-20, 09:13)dvblogic Wrote: The reports of our death are greatly exaggerated.

I believe that except for a hanging issue after not using for a long time, reported on our forums, and a couple of cosmetic fixes there is not outstanding work to be done at the moment.
Firstly apologies for hijacking this thread but these issues are still outstanding.

https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.dvblink/issues

It would be nice to get these fixed.
(2017-02-20, 09:33)linknet Wrote: Firstly apologies for hijacking this thread but these issues are still outstanding.

https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.dvblink/issues

It would be nice to get these fixed.

The first one is the hangup and we are looking at it.
The second one is a cosmetic issue and has a lower priority (we do not have the required information to show inside dvblink server).
(2017-02-20, 09:30)ksooo Wrote: This thread reports a crash, not a hang. So I tend to say there is more than just one problem. Read what users write here and in dvblogic support forum. ;-)

We read them all.
Kodi 17 was release two weeks ago and if there would be problem with addon crash, our and your forums would have been flooded already with the bug reports. Since it does not happen, this issue is specific to user's instrallation and configuration. It might be that in-place migration from Kodi 16 to Kodi 17 has given these issues. That's why I am suggesting to clean up Kodi tv database first to see if it helps.
(2017-02-20, 11:28)dvblogic Wrote: The first one is the hangup and we are looking at it.
The second one is a cosmetic issue and has a lower priority (we do not have the required information to show inside dvblink server).

I was specifically concerned about his one:

https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.dvblink/issues/63

What is the situation with this? Has this been categorised as a cosmetic issue? It makes editing the timer rules impossible so surely it is more than cosmetic.
(2017-02-20, 11:47)linknet Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 11:28)dvblogic Wrote: The first one is the hangup and we are looking at it.

What is the situation with this? Has this been categorised as a cosmetic issue? It makes editing the timer rules impossible so surely it is more than cosmetic.
Yes, it is a cosmetic issue because the recording logic works correctly and everything is recorded as it should.
The core of this issue is that Kodi requires information that dvblink does not have and, in my opinion, is ambiguous for recording rules. It expects title, start time, end time of "something". The series recordings start with the original program - seed - and continue while the original program may not even exist anymore. If we put a first upcoming recording there, then, since this information is fetched from time to time, it can become also invalid after this first recording completes.
(2017-02-20, 11:59)dvblogic Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 11:47)linknet Wrote:

The core of this issue is that Kodi requires information that dvblink does not have and, in my opinion, is ambiguous for recording rules. It expects title, start time, end time of "something". The series recordings start with the original program - seed - and continue while the original program may not even exist anymore.

Not sure about this. Kodi only requests what your add-on defines as required data for a timer rule. If you don't need let's say start and end time your add-on should define a timer rule type not specifying that start and and time is supported for this type.

What you are describing is just one of many possible timer types. You describe a manual timer matching a given title and start and end time. But there can be done much sophisticated things, especially with epg event based timer rule types. But again, the add-on must define the correct timer types for this. It's a very flexible and powerful concept.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVBlink crashes Kodi0