• 102(current)
pvr.mythtv add-on
@raptorjr , I am afraid you re disappointed. Please don t be. Really you should try Krypton. It works really well. And with kodi stable it is more easy to fix addon issue or to improve the addon.
For next stage I will add a workaround to resolve an issue about bookmark and edl for transcoded recording.
Also Kirtlander propose to convert commbreak marks to scene marks and so doing same behavior than mythfrontend to manage EDL seeking.
Brief it should be better day after day.
@janbar Maybe I'll try, but I fear that Kodi will never get the whole way to be a good PVR replacement for MythTV Frontend. Just look at the Teletext subtitle problem. Thread opened 4½ years ago and still not working for LiveTV and recordings. And I understand that Kodi is OpenSource, but that don't help much when only a fraction of the users, or less, has the knowledge to do something about it. And if they aren't interested it wont happen, as we can see.

So there is other things missing that makes it hard to convince the family to use Kodi instead.

But as I said, you do a great job. Remember some year ago when the other addon for MythTV was abandoned. Thought that there wouldn't be possible anymore with MythTV and Kodi, and then you came and fixed things. But I understand that you can only do so much. You cant fix everything. And some of the problems is in the core of Kodi.

And I also understand that Kodi and the addons should work with many different backends, so maybe it is not possible to adapt things to work as MythTV frontend. Big difference with doing both backend and frontend, and having a generic frontend like Kodi.

But I still have a small hope that Kodi will deliver some day, but that day just feels very far away.
(2017-02-22, 19:53)raptorjr Wrote: @janbar Maybe I'll try, but I fear that Kodi will never get the whole way to be a good PVR replacement for MythTV Frontend. Just look at the Teletext subtitle problem. Thread opened 4½ years ago and still not working for LiveTV and recordings. And I understand that Kodi is OpenSource, but that don't help much when only a fraction of the users, or less, has the knowledge to do something about it. And if they aren't interested it wont happen, as we can see.

So there is other things missing that makes it hard to convince the family to use Kodi instead.

But as I said, you do a great job. Remember some year ago when the other addon for MythTV was abandoned. Thought that there wouldn't be possible anymore with MythTV and Kodi, and then you came and fixed things. But I understand that you can only do so much. You cant fix everything. And some of the problems is in the core of Kodi.

And I also understand that Kodi and the addons should work with many different backends, so maybe it is not possible to adapt things to work as MythTV frontend. Big difference with doing both backend and frontend, and having a generic frontend like Kodi.

But I still have a small hope that Kodi will deliver some day, but that day just feels very far away.

Your issues not withstanding, I've been using Kodi + MythTV for 6 years with great success. At least for me and my family, it's been working great despite the occasional hiccup.
(2017-02-22, 20:23)tknorris Wrote: Your issues not withstanding, I've been using Kodi + MythTV for 6 years with great success. At least for me and my family, it's been working great despite the occasional hiccup.

I'm not saying that Kodi is bad, but is lacking some important features for me. And when you need subtitles for LiveTV, Kodi is not a good option. Of course depending on what types of subtitles you need, Kodi has some support.
But MythTV frontend is better as a PVR frontend, but I hoped that Kodi would soon be equal or better since it is so much better in all other areas, music, videos, movies, appearance...
Sure, mythfrontend does more than Kodi with the myth addon. It is also grotesquely family unfriendly, with a slit-your-writs interface. Janbar's addon is simple, elegant, and does everything that 99% of PVR users want or need.
(2017-02-23, 01:15)allan87 Wrote: Sure, mythfrontend does more than Kodi with the myth addon. It is also grotesquely family unfriendly, with a slit-your-writs interface. Janbar's addon is simple, elegant, and does everything that 99% of PVR users want or need.

What a user needs is very different depending on which country you live in. I don't agree with 99%. Not having subtitles for most of my channels is not only a 1% problem.
And MythTV Frontend is not very unfriendly if you use it for LiveTV. Many other things is complicated with MythTV Frontend, but when you have it setup and start LiveTV it is like any other functional PVR. With support for watching in progress recordings and correct length of the recording, and support for all kinds of subtitles, and a proper display of timeshift buffer when used.

All other parts can't compare to Kodi.

But this isn't about bashing one or the other solution. It is/was about my hopes that Kodi would be as superior in the PVR sections as it is in everything else. And with the recent explanations from janbar it feels like it will never happen. Maybe mostly depending on that Kodi must work with many different backends. But that is just how things are.
Hi Janbar,

Do you know if it is possible for pvr.mythtv to use srt subtitles files that are placed alongside the mythtv recording file?

Some background - My region uses teletext subtitles for dvb-t broadcasts, and kodi is unable to use them. I have used ccextractor to extract the teletext subtitles and convert them to srt files, which from the handful of test files, seems to work great. It even has a option to treat the file as a continuous stream, which could work for live tv. I was thinking of configuring this as a user job within the mythtv backend. But I cant seem to enable the subtitles when watching recordings via pvr.mythtv (they work when manually playing the file via kodi's file browser, but this isn't convenient due to the way mythtv names its recordings).

I have also tried to remux the recording file with the extracted srt file with ffmpeg and tsmuxer, but I cant get ffmpeg to embed the srt file as a stream and while I can embed the stream with tsmuxer, both programs only remux a fraction of the file, which from what I can gather is due to errors in the recording file from reception issues.
(2017-02-25, 01:36)stanger192 Wrote: Hi Janbar,

Do you know if it is possible for pvr.mythtv to use srt subtitles files that are placed alongside the mythtv recording file?

It isn't. The addon can handle only streams provided by the backend with the API and the protocol. (also DVB transport stream includes subtitles).
If you need access to SRT file, I think a possible way should be to share the folder "recordings" and play files with Kodi/Video which should handle SRT file.
Thanks janbar.
Problem compiling on Fedora 25.......

Following the instructions posted here

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2475965

(By the way the krypton should be capitalised Krypton, some people may not realise it's case sensitive).

However when following those instructions and trying to compile on Fedora 25 it throws an error....

~/Desktop/kodi.mythtv/pvr.mythtv/build >:cmake .. -DPACKAGE_ZIP=ON
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 6.3.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 6.3.1
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Checking to see if CXX compiler accepts flag -flto
-- Checking to see if CXX compiler accepts flag -flto - yes
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:11 (find_package):
By not providing "Findkodiplatform.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"kodiplatform", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "kodiplatform" with
any of the following names:

kodiplatformConfig.cmake
kodiplatform-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "kodiplatform" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"kodiplatform_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"kodiplatform" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
has been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Any ideas please?
You have to read instructions in the file README.md.
If you want to compile a standalone addon then you have to clone the branch devel-17 instead Krypton.
(2017-03-01, 18:53)janbar Wrote: You have to read instructions in the file README.md.
If you want to compile a standalone addon then you have to clone the branch devel-17 instead Krypton.

Sorry to be a bit anal but there's the possibility of confusion here......

The README.md says....

# MythTV PVR
MythTV PVR client addon for [Kodi] (http://kodi.tv)

## Build instructions
When building the addon you have to use the correct branch depending on which version of Kodi you're building against.
For example, if you're building the `Krypton` branch of Kodi you should checkout the `Krypton` branch of this repository.
Also make sure you follow this README from the branch in question.

### Linux

1. `git clone --branch=Krypton --depth=1 https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git`
2. `git clone --branch=Krypton https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.mythtv.git`
3. `cd pvr.mythtv && mkdir build && cd build`
4. `cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=pvr.mythtv -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../../xbmc/addons -DPACKAGE_ZIP=ON ../../xbmc/project/cmake/addons`
5. `make`

The addon files will be placed in `../../xbmc/kodi-build/addons` so if you build Kodi from source and run it directly
the addon will be available as a system addon.

##### Useful links

* [Kodi's PVR user support] (http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=170)
* [Kodi's PVR development support] (http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)

As I'm installing Kodi from the RPMFUSION repos it's installing Version 17 (Krypton). Therefore based on the readme above it's the Krypton branch I should be using, I appreciate all the effort you've put in but devel-17 isn't mentioned anywhere in the readme at all and while I don't wish to appear ungrateful how is an inexperienced user supposed to know to use devel-17 if the readme doesn't tell them?

(I had just worked it out when you posted your reply by reading this post later in the thread

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2508248 )
I know there is uncleared point. The default method to build requires kodi sources as specified in the readme file. Also each kodi version requires different options to build successfully.
So for these reasons the readme file from the cloned branch should be read.

With my devel-17 branch you can build the addon without kodi sources, as you tried. But this isn t the standard way. It just to help ...
(2017-03-01, 19:28)janbar Wrote: I know there is uncleared point. The default method to build requires kodi sources as specified in the readme file. Also each kodi version requires different options to build successfully.
So for these reasons the readme file from the cloned branch should be read.

With my devel-17 branch you can build the addon without kodi sources, as you tried. But this isn t the standard way. It just to help ...

Could I suggest you perhaps expand the readme to include that info with an appropriate explanation of why someone might need to use a devel branch?

It would stop idiots like me annoying you with silly questions Smile

Thanks for the quick response and great work on the add-on which is now working fine.

Last question, will you be expanding the addon to include the Video (not recordings) subdirectories from Mythtv? I only ask as mythfrontend now handles all video requests directly thereby removing the need for a share to be setup for Video library directories. I don't run NFS on my server to minimise security issues and it would be great if your addon worked the same way.

Thanks once again.
I've got some strange errors in my log thteat look like this
ERROR: CPVRTimerType:: CreateFromIds unable to resolve numericl timer type (6, 632756738)

Link
Sorry, just rebuilt my system and there are tons of artwork related errors, the pertinent errors are at 16:54:23:287

Thanks
Dan
  • 102(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pvr.mythtv add-on1