• 80(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
@cha0skind

I know I keep repeating myself, it is what I would do myself if I was having the same problem and trying to find the source Smile

The problem must be at your end though.

If you are getting the same response in the right hand col as the screenshot then Alexa is talking to the Skill, the Skill is talking to Lambda, and Lambda is reaching your Kodi box.

When you change the port in Kodi you have to change the port forwarding setup in your router.

Take a screenshot (blotting out any personal info) of the port forwarding page on your router admin.

If your router has a list of attached devices have a look and see if you spot anything there.

Are you using a dynamic dns service? To rule that out try using the external IP address instead.
Okay, so i went trough all the settings again and took some screenshots:

these are my port forwarding settings.
As dynamic DNS servmice i use my.fritz. this is provided via the fritz box. but i have allready tried to use the normal IP address.

One tinhg worth mentioning is porbably that i am not able to use the Custom Slot Generator for Kodi. It fails with the notice to check my Server adress, which i did several times.
I am assuming you turned on both IPv6 and IPv4 (the normal looking one) yourself?

If you did then turn off the IPv6 one.

I assume the "von" = "from" and "bis" = "to" ?

I don't suppose you made a backup of your settings before you started playing?

It would be good to undo the things you have tried, I don't want to suggest changes and then your internet goes down for the weekend Smile

Looking at your shots I would set the port range to be 8088 and the target also to 8088

Then you should make sure you test using the 8088 port in the when sending the requests and always use the same simple "pause play" url for now.

In the protocol I am guessing there is UDP, TCP and BOTH? Try both.... I don't have any reason to think it will make a difference, but it is what mine is set to Smile

it looks like there are square brackets in the url (?)

I have not seen those before, but if it is reach the box it must be ok i guess.

Last thing... I have no experience in my.fritz or LibreElec, but it looks like my.fritz uses a vpn, so use the ip for now, but I am not sure what other "helpful" things that router does to try and protect you. The same with LibreElec, it does things for you, the port issue is mentioned here:https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-623.html?highlight=jsonrpc

If you have got a different computer to run kodi on, it is worth trying that to help find where the problem is (then we can fix it)

I don't it is going to be easy though due to the modified versions of things Smile
OKAY ..... I got there in the end. It was lots of try and error but now everything works like it should.

The Problem:
My internetprovider is unitmyedia in Germany and they just supply a DS-Lite connection to the internet. This means there is no public IPv4 address assigend to me. Therefore the JSON-RCP commands couldn reach my Kodi Box.

Solution:
I used the a Universal Port Mapper provided by http://www.feste-ip.net.

This now allows me to access my Kodi box with a normal IPv4 request.

This took me quite some time to solve but i hope this will help peolple that encounter this problem in the end as well.

Reagarding this whole topic i now have a few questions:
Is it possible to make the JSON-RCP and AWS-Lambda work with IPv6 support? As i think this could be very useful for the future.

Thank to anyone who treied to help me out with this problem.
Glad you got it sorted, well done.

IPv6 is one of those things i will "get to when i need it" . My isp doesn't support it so I can't even test it.

But just with a quick ten min look, it seems only the address used that is different http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18682...-with-ipv6

DId you try forwarding the ipv6 port to 9090? No idea what that does, but 9090 seems to be popping up in discussions and might be a clue

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1424489

Just plucking at straws Smile
Is there a reason why there can't be a skill for this in the Alexa Skills Store like there is for Plex? Is it because those skills don't allow you to specify custom settings (i.e. IP to your Kodi server)?
Like Plex there would have to be some sort of registration/account system setup.

Users would register on that system and then authorise alexa to use it.

Due to the open source nature of Kodi, I don't think many would be happy with the idea of a central registration thing.

You also need people maintaining the software and the servers and covering costs Sad
Hi,
I'm actually having two unrelated problems (and apologies in advance if they're noob-ish):

A) I'm getting an incredibly slow response when I ask Alexa to play anything in my music library - typically right around 45 seconds, though occasionally as 'fast' as 35 or as long as 50-ish. By comparison, my movies or TV requests are averaging about 15 seconds to get a response.

Did a search in the forum, but the closest I got to anyone having a similar problem was this:

(2016-12-13, 20:23)jouster Wrote: Well starting with a fresh env file made all of the difference.

It's now working but I'm finding things quite slow depending exactly what I've asked for. It might not help that I have a huge library consisting of 60 TB of data so that might not help.

But a massive thanks for help so far @jingai in particular for persevering with me

Really appreciate it.

Using a hosting method. Is there a way to speed things up?

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

B) The other issue I'm running into is that when asking Alexa to play a movie, approx half the time she comes back with the response "Could not find a movie called the movie *** ", where she's basically adding the words 'the movie' to the title. As far as I can tell after some experimentation, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which films she is correct with and which films result in the above error.

Really appreciate any/all help - have been very excited to get this to work! Thx!
(2017-03-15, 00:14)schlerf Wrote: B) The other issue I'm running into is that when asking Alexa to play a movie, approx half the time she comes back with the response "Could not find a movie called the movie *** ", where she's basically adding the words 'the movie' to the title. As far as I can tell after some experimentation, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which films she is correct with and which films result in the above error.

This will be fixed soon. In the meantime, use "Alexa, ask Kodi to play movie <foo>", without the "the".
Thanks for the heads up!

Any thoughts on the speed problem? My library is quite large, though in that previous thread, it seemed like size shouldn't matter. The conversation was taken to PM so there wasn't a sense of how/if the issue was resolved, however.
@schlerf, library size affects the speed of execution a bit -- the entire list of a given media type (e.g., movies) is sent for every play and library query. These days that shouldn't be a problem, but it's possible Amazon is throttling bandwidth.

I run everything locally and it all executes on the order of hundreds of millseconds, not seconds. So, I don't think it's inherently something wrong with the skill.

You're not alone with sluggish Lambda performance, as you've seen in other posts. If it's Amazon's fault, there's not much we can do about it. But there are a few things you can check:

1) Your upload speed. Kodi is transmitting the list of movies to Amazon via the internet, so you're uplink bandwidth matters here,
2) Is any hardware related to the Kodi installation going to sleep or any other power-saving mode?
3) If you request the list of movies by hand via cURL (see previous posts for command), how long does it take?
Okay, I need some help. I can get Alexa to tell Kodi to pause, stop, back, go up/down, volume up/down, mute/unmute, execute an addon, etc. What I can't do is to get Kodi to "play" anything. I say "Alexa, tell Kodi to play <movie/tv show>, but nothing happens. I get no responses from Alexa and nothing happens. I've tried dozens of movies and tv shows, but nothing ever plays no matter how many different utterances I try to use. All of the slot types are populated. I'm definitely communicating with KODI since all of the other commands work just fine. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the "play" command?
"Alexa, ask Kodi to watch/play movie Ghostbusters"

"Alexa, ask Kodi to watch/play Season 1 Episode 5 of Firefly"

"Alexa, ask Kodi to watch/play the next episode of Quantum Leap"

"Alexa, ask Kodi to watch/play a random episode of How It's Made"
(2017-03-20, 00:41)jingai Wrote: "Alexa, ask Kodi to watch/play movie Ghostbusters"

Okay, using the verb, ask, instead of, tell, seems to work much better. Thanks!

On a separate note, the slot generator at https://slot-generator.herokuapp.com/ can grab pieces of HTML code (such as bold, color) from KODI along with the addon titles which will cause the Amazon webpage to not save the slots properly. It's definitely a good idea to go back through the titles and make sure they are all clean and free from extra characters.
(2017-03-20, 01:14)kadeschs Wrote:
(2017-03-20, 00:41)jingai Wrote: "Alexa, ask Kodi to watch/play movie Ghostbusters"

Okay, using the verb, ask, instead of, tell, seems to work much better. Thanks!

On a separate note, the slot generator at https://slot-generator.herokuapp.com/ can grab pieces of HTML code (such as bold, color) from KODI along with the addon titles which will cause the Amazon webpage to not save the slots properly. It's definitely a good idea to back through the titles and make sure they are all clean
Watch works way better for me than play. Play often tries to play music files or errors. Watch is much more consistent.

Also when Amazon errors due to the slot script, it won't work, you have to start over, it will have errors saving, go back a few pages and I describe it better.
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15