Upgraded OE Gotham -> Libre Krypton, audio sync at 24fps still broken?
Hey all.

I recently wiped my 3-4 year old Intel i3 based NUC which had been running OE Gotham and freshly installed it with the latest Libreelec.

Back when I installed Gotham I had to work through an awful lot of AV issues with 23.976 playback through my Denon AVR and onto my 23.976 capable Panasonic plasma TV.

It looks like some of that still does not work quite right even with the latest and greatest. The most frustrating problem so far is that all of my BD rips that play back at a native 23.976 frame-rate seem to have audio sync noticeably off when I have playback set to sync playback to the native frame-rate of the media. Display switches over to 23.976 and I immediately notice that audio is noticeably off over 100 ms. It's annoying.

When I ran into this in the past I was able to override the "built in delay" in XBMC for 23.976 videos (not sure why it's even in there, plenty of displays have native 23.976 support) by using the following instructions in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<advancedsettings>
   <video>
     <latency>
        <delay>0</delay>
        <refresh>
           <min>23</min>
           <max>24</max>
           <delay>0</delay>
        </refresh>
     </latency>
   </video>
</advancedsettings>

However after setting this and rebooting the audio is still off... to the point of distraction.

Am I missing something with fixing this? I've searched and there is some rather confusing advice on this topic in the last couple of years... since I've been out of the loop for quite a while what is the latest?

Thanks!
Don't use the option "sync playback to display"
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2017-03-19, 07:24)lrusak Wrote: Don't use the option "sync playback to display"

av sync is much better with this enabled because it turns off pass through audio.
(2017-03-19, 11:24)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2017-03-19, 07:24)lrusak Wrote: Don't use the option "sync playback to display"

av sync is much better with this enabled because it turns off pass through audio.

Hi Fernet, thanks for replying to my thread. I recall you being super helpful 3-4 years ago with trying to debug True-HD audio sync and drop issues when bitstream for that format was enabled.

Currently with my re-load I have "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" set to Always and I have all audio formats set up to bitstream since my AVR supports them all.

The only symptom I am seeing is really bad lip sync (about 1/5 second out of sync) with 24P content, which is most of what I have (almost all of my content is BD rips. It's pretty awful and makes movie watching impossible since the dialogue is multiple frames off from where the actor's lips are moving.

What's the recommendation here? I think if I could simply adjust the audio sync properly or disable whatever delay Kodi is putting into the 24P playback things would be fine.

When I disable "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" and leave the display at 60FPS the audio sync is perfect, but then I get some motion judder with the 3:2 pulldown of the 24P content to display at 60fps.

I recall spending a lot of time tweaking this 3-4 years ago and it's one reason that I never updated from XBMC to Kodi, I was hoping to avoid having to deal with it all again.

Thanks again for yours and other responses.
LE by defaults sets a 250 ms delay via advancedsettings. Carefully check your log and overwrite that.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-03-19, 19:04)fritsch Wrote: LE by defaults sets a 250 ms delay via advancedsettings. Carefully check your log and overwrite that.

It might be worth us removing that now as that was a workaround from a couple years ago.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2017-03-19, 19:04)fritsch Wrote: LE by defaults sets a 250 ms delay via advancedsettings. Carefully check your log and overwrite that.

Thanks Fritsch, can you offer a tiny bit more guidance? There was no advancedsettings.xml existing on the system after installation, I had to create it in the place that Kodi references needing to build it the first time.

I provided the tags in my first post I tried to use to remove the delay but it did not work.
(2017-03-19, 19:19)lrusak Wrote:

It might be worth us removing that now as that was a workaround from a couple years ago.

I think it was probably introduced many moons ago to deal with input lag inherent on 24P conversion/input on older sets. I don't know that it is much of a problem anymore.. My TV has native 23.976 support and very low input lag so it's never been a problem for me to require input lag correction in the software.
Again, did you try with "sync playback to display" enabled?
(2017-03-19, 19:45)FernetMenta Wrote: Again, did you try with "sync playback to display" enabled?

I will give it a try. Do I need to disable bitstream if I do this?
(2017-03-19, 19:45)FernetMenta Wrote: Again, did you try with "sync playback to display" enabled?

I've tested this and it had no effect on the problem. Once playback switches into 24P mode the audio is off by about 1/5 of a second from the video.

Hey Fritsch, if there is no advanced settings file doing this then how is it negated other than what I showed in my 1st post that I tried to do to overcome the problem?

Thanks.
For clarification. There is no such thing as a built-in delay in Kodi. On my systems I have perfect a/v sync without any needs of tweaking advanced settings. The issue is caused by audio driver and AVR. Maybe there is a missing piece of info how to handle those cases, not sure. What I know is that Linux does not support EEDID, just the old EDID spec. As a result we miss some info the AVR has to tell.

Are you saying the delay in advancedsettings has no effect at all?
(2017-03-20, 04:12)voip-ninja Wrote:

Hey Fritsch, if there is no advanced settings file doing this then how is it negated other than what I showed in my 1st post that I tried to do to overcome the problem?

Thanks.
There is an "inbuilt" advanced settings file in Open/LibreELEC. It is /usr/share/kodi/system/advancedsettings.xml

AFAIK it is overridden by userdata/advancedsettings.xml if they conflict
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
thanks fore youre help having trouble with video and errors ,buffing freeze, and openload. can you fix lost i am thank you so much

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgraded OE Gotham -> Libre Krypton, audio sync at 24fps still broken?0