Cultural Imperialism
(2017-03-23, 15:50)Soli Wrote: used to have my samba shares named as Films and TV Series, and Kodi would use those names for the actual entry in the file view. But they would show up in the home screen Kodi as Movies and TV Shows.. It was just unsatisfying in an asymmetrical kind of way. So after 10 years or so I finally caved. My shares are now named Movies and TV Shows.

I'm not even english, I just like to use english for all my programs. But in scandinavia a TV show is called TV-serie and movie is called film, so that's what I always felt was the most natural for me. But in the end I caved inSmile

IMO British English should default to TV Series and Films. Make it happenSmile

My suggestion for British English would be for TV Show / Series. Shows allows for the inclusion of single one-off programmes. Though one-offs are increasingly rare, not every TV production is part of a series of episodes.
(2017-03-23, 13:35)natethomas Wrote: I actually generally agree with the series/season divide. The English being presented as default is really not "global" English. It's UK English, and should probably be listed as such, particularly given that there are other English options, like US English. Given that it's UK English, it probably should be called Series, rather than Season, unless my UK friends call the seasons of US shows "seasons" rather than "series." In which case, I'm afraid we're all totally screwed. Smile

Q. Might it be worth reviewing Kodi's British English language pack? If a review is possible then would you consider exchanging Films for Movies? Whilst everyone in the UK will understand either term, nobody will find Films annoying*.

It'd also be nice to swap Center for Centre. And will you consider using Tracks rather than Songs with every English pack? Because it just makes sense. Tracks covers every type of music and audio. Whilst Songs only applies to music with vocals.

While I'm here, does anyone know why I've been unable to manually change the strings.po of Kodi variants like OpenElec and LibreElec? It took me just a few minutes to successfully alter the text of my desktop Kodi, but when I SSH to an OpenElec or LibreElec box none of the changes to the files are realised on screen.

* I know some outside of the UK might be bemused by an annoyance with the term Movies. Though I think it might be easy to imagine a codgedy older generation of Brits being annoyed by what they see as a cultural imposition. However, for me, snob that I am, it's the association with the steamroller of corporate entertainment and an inescapable and all-consuming low-brow culture. A friend of mine summed it up best when he said, "If I hear the word Film I think of something like Satantango or Rashomon or Apocalyse Now. When I hear the word Movies I think of Big Momma's House 2”.
A review is of course allowed and can be opened as pull request on github.

Do note we have made it "media center" on purpose. The centre vs. center discussion was already held and this was how it ended up.

The string file on openelec is placed on a read only partition. You could create an English UK Addon and then install it on top which will overrule the included version.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-03-23, 18:31)Martijn Wrote: A review is of course allowed and can be opened as pull request on github.

Do note we have made it "media center" on purpose. The centre vs. center discussion was already held and this was how it ended up.

The string file on openelec is placed on a read only partition. You could create an English UK Addon and then install it on top which will overrule the included version.

Thanks for the advice.

The center / centre was a reference to a "Center menus" settings option in the Mimic skin. Though to be fair, that might be something in the Mimic skin's language file.
(2017-03-23, 18:27)Hidentity Wrote: older generation of Brits being annoyed by what they see as a cultural imposition.
You're younger than I am. As already mentioned, the term "movies" isn't recent. Motion pictures, moving pictures, "flicks", they've been in use longer than you've been alive. I think you're being precious seeing the use of a term you don't like with a "cultural imposition"
(2017-03-24, 01:22)bilgepump Wrote:
(2017-03-23, 18:27)Hidentity Wrote: older generation of Brits being annoyed by what they see as a cultural imposition.
You're younger than I am. As already mentioned, the term "movies" isn't recent. Motion pictures, moving pictures, "flicks", they've been in use longer than you've been alive. I think you're being precious seeing the use of a term you don't like with a "cultural imposition"
Are you from the uk? Are you talking about terms in general use in the uk? Because 'going to see a movie' is not something I ever used or heard growing up. I'm also older than Hidentity but my memory is mostly intact.
Obviously I knew what a 'movie' was. It was what the Americans called films, god bless 'em.
(2017-03-24, 01:41)trogggy Wrote: Are you from the uk? Are you talking about terms in general use in the uk? Because 'going to see a movie' is not something I ever used or heard growing up.
No, I'm a colonial, but when I was a kid, we were much more aligned with the "mother country" than we are now, movies/films on tv would be Rank and everyone would be speaking velly velly clearly. They would play "god save the queen" at the pictures.

The UK is several different countries and there are doubtlessly regional variations. Even in Australia, there are regional language differences in usage. That "fillum" nun was from Queensland, we didn't use "film" over here as far as I can remember (that's why I remember her), we called them "the pictures". Even the academy awards still call them pictures and not movies.

I don't have a problem saying another term is more familiar/preferred, just that the use of a different one may not amount to any "cultural imposition".
(2017-03-24, 01:41)bilgepump Wrote: I don't have a problem saying another term is more familiar/preferred, just that the use of a different one may not amount to any "cultural imposition".

I'm not sure that I said it is a cultural imposition. Or that I feel that it’s a cultural imposition. Rather that many who have seen the language change seemingly overnight might perceive it that way. But then I've done so much blathering, shifting and revising that I'm no longer quite certain what I think, where I stand or even who I am. The original post was only meant to fill a few spare minutes but this discussion has dragged on so long that I've become entirely lost in a semantic and existential fog.
(2017-03-24, 15:07)Hidentity Wrote: But then I've done so much blathering, shifting and revising that I'm no longer quite certain what I think, where I stand or even who I am.
Have you watched Jeeves and Wooster? Big Grin You sound very like Bertie.
(2017-03-24, 15:07)Hidentity Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 01:41)trogggy Wrote: I don't have a problem saying another term is more familiar/preferred, just that the use of a different one may not amount to any "cultural imposition".

I'm not sure that I said it is a cultural imposition. Or that I feel that it’s a cultural imposition. Rather that many who have seen the language change seemingly overnight might perceive it that way. But then I've done so much blathering, shifting and revising that I'm no longer quite certain what I think, where I stand or even who I am. The original post was only meant to fill a few spare minutes but this discussion has dragged on so long that I've become entirely lost in a semantic and existential fog.
Quite right, you didn't say that. But then again I didn't write anything like what you've quoted there. Wink
(2017-03-24, 15:15)bilgepump Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 15:07)Hidentity Wrote: But then I've done so much blathering, shifting and revising that I'm no longer quite certain what I think, where I stand or even who I am.
Have you watched Jeeves and Wooster? Big Grin You sound very like Bertie.

Golly! That's dash decent of you to say so, old chap.
@Hidentity: your gentleman's gentleman appears to have omitted the correction of post #68. Please instruct him accordingly.
Re: my gentlemen's gentleman.

It's his annual day off, I'm afraid. He's gone to Harley Street to see a doctor about his old chap, old chap.
Well bloody sort it out yourself then. Since asking politely doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.
You have quoted the wrong person in #68. Is that not clear?
Sorry about that. Completely missed and misunderstood your point. I'll give it a go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cultural Imperialism2