Android Amazon FireTv Stick Krypton - 32-bit or 64-bit
Hi, I am new to Kodi and to the Amazon FireTv Stick as well. While trying to install the latest beta of Krypton which is beta 7 I see that there are 2 options under Android.

a) ARMv7a(32bit)

b)ARMv8a(64bit)

The FireTv has updated to FireOS 5.2.4.0 which is based on Android 5.0 Lollipop per wikipedia and it apparently does support 64-bit. I don't know much about this so could someone please confirm if it is possible to install the 64-bit ARMv8a on the FireTV Stick.

A similar query was posted earlier (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2474009) but the answer seems to be more related to alpha vs beta release and directed the user to go to a beta build of the 32 bit however would really like to know the 32 vs 64 bit part to get a better understanding. Thx
(2016-12-20, 09:58)nedk12 Wrote: Hi, I am new to Kodi and to the Amazon FireTv Stick as well. While trying to install the latest beta of Krypton which is beta 7 I see that there are 2 options under Android.

a) ARMv7a(32bit)

b)ARMv8a(64bit)

The FireTv has updated to FireOS 5.2.4.0 which is based on Android 5.0 Lollipop per wikipedia and it apparently does support 64-bit. I don't know much about this so could someone please confirm if it is possible to install the 64-bit ARMv8a on the FireTV Stick.

A similar query was posted earlier (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2474009) but the answer seems to be more related to alpha vs beta release and directed the user to go to a beta build of the 32 bit however would really like to know the 32 vs 64 bit part to get a better understanding. Thx

Amazon doesn't support 64-bit OS on their Fire TV devices.
So you need to use 32-bit Kodi.
They also don't fix their firmware so auto frame-rate switching and pass-through audio is a hit and miss and don't expect it to work.
Correction: The AFT2 does install the 64 bit one Wink
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
So... I'm still unclear as to which version I should select to install on my new Firestick. Please clarify.
(2016-12-24, 02:27)CCHoneycutt Wrote: So... I'm still unclear as to which version I should select to install on my new Firestick. Please clarify.

Any Lollipop firmware is 32-bit.
If you run Marshmallow firmware with an ARM7 processor it's still 32-bit.
If you have a ARM64 processor and your firmware was built as 64-bit then you can use the 64-bit version.
Hardware older than 2 years are also mostly 32-bit.
Amazon FireSticks, AFTV 1 are all 32-bit.
Amazon FTV 2 is 64-bit.
Is it so much trouble to test both versions and make your own conclusion?
Simple answer is 'You need the 32-bit for a Firestick.'
I've just rooted my Fire TV 2 and also installed the ARM v8 apk of Kodi. No issues so far, seems to work fine.
Moe123
This is in response to what you said to CCHoneycutt. You explained it beautifully in the beginning. Great detail and clearly written. You then asked at the end of it was it " too much trouble to test both and find out " for themself, which bit the person's stick was (32/64). If they could've done than I'm quite sure they would've. Had you clearly read what was said, they are new to this. Your response was both condescending and rude. When someone is wanting to learn, it is common courtesy, to encourage that by simply answering the question, as others have done here. However, if that's too much of a spur in your side, then I suggest you both remember when you didn't have the knowledge and/or possibly stop answering these questions. This forum was designed to help those that need help, not to make them feel bad for asking a question others may have learned along time ago. It would do you well to remember, there are those that know more than you........ how would you like it if you had what appeared them to be a simple question and they responded in the manner in which you just did. Remember the butter spreads both ways.
Firstly there is a key on the right hand side of your keyboard called the return key. It makes things more readable.

But secondly and more importantly read the forum rules (wiki) again, specifically section 2.1 concerning conduct.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
DarrenHill, I did indeed read and reread what the rule is. Please help me to understand where I used inappropriate language or was impolite. I don't see where I did anything that was against or contrary to that rule. I've copied the rule for your reference.

2.1 General conduct
Be civil.
Polite language is required.
(2017-03-31, 20:40)Chrissinamarie Wrote: DarrenHill, I did indeed read and reread what the rule is. Please help me to understand where I used inappropriate language or was impolite. I don't see where I did anything that was against or contrary to that rule.

DH said what he said because you are misinterpreting the intent behind Moe123's post. Moe123 gives a precise answer to the OP question and then gives a recommendation to test versions and see what works and what doesn't work. Moe123 wasn't being condescending or rude in any way. You may also have been referred to that section because your original post to Moe123, in my humble opinion, is an example of "forum trolling."

EDIT: spelling/wording
Exactly. It was over both posts, especially from a new user here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Just to summarise since I was Googling for this info:
All Fire TV Sticks (1st & 2nd gen) are 32-bit
Fire TV Box (1st gen) is 32-bit
Fire TV Box (2nd gen) is 64-bit

NOTE: the suggestion to run a test on a 2nd gen Fire stick is not useful
because the INSTALL of a 64-bit APK file just returns "X App not installed".
The Fire OS does not display an error message about the app being 64-bit!
(2017-05-01, 18:06)sja45uk Wrote: Just to summarise since I was Googling for this info:
All Fire TV Sticks (1st & 2nd gen) are 32-bit
Fire TV Box (1st gen) is 32-bit
Fire TV Box (2nd gen) is 64-bit

NOTE: the suggestion to run a test on a 2nd gen Fire stick is not useful
because the INSTALL of a 64-bit APK file just returns "X App not installed".
The Fire OS does not display an error message about the app being 64-bit!

Agree you cant try them both (well you can but the 64bit APK wont work) not on a fire stick first or second gen
full amazon developer specs are here
https://developer.amazon.com/public/solu...ifications
Not to beat an old, dead horse, but I do agree with you Chrissie, that last line was completely unnecessary and uncalled for. I think sometimes people forget where they came from. I'm kind of surprised that you were called out for your response which I felt was honest, polite, and to the point. Just because you are new here doesn't mean that you can't recognize a rude remark for what it is. Just wanted to let you know that you weren't the only one who that it was uncalled for...

Ally

(2017-03-30, 14:38)Chrissinamarie Wrote: Moe123
This is in response to what you said to CCHoneycutt. You explained it beautifully in the beginning. Great detail and clearly written. You then asked at the end of it was it " too much trouble to test both and find out " for themself, which bit the person's stick was (32/64). If they could've done than I'm quite sure they would've. Had you clearly read what was said, they are new to this. Your response was both condescending and rude. When someone is wanting to learn, it is common courtesy, to encourage that by simply answering the question, as others have done here. However, if that's too much of a spur in your side, then I suggest you both remember when you didn't have the knowledge and/or possibly stop answering these questions. This forum was designed to help those that need help, not to make them feel bad for asking a question others may have learned along time ago. It would do you well to remember, there are those that know more than you........ how would you like it if you had what appeared them to be a simple question and they responded in the manner in which you just did. Remember the butter spreads both ways.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon FireTv Stick Krypton - 32-bit or 64-bit0