• 6(current)
Linux HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation
(2017-02-02, 16:41)Nickelino Wrote: @gammelobst

I tried to setup the NFS-option in Kodi and if i choose the server, it shows the directories, but I cannot open them. I think if it works, it will be a great solution to bypass the systemd-nfs-issue . Maybe I have to change the exports file from the Server, but this is another project....

I followed your suggestion to monitor the running processes and it works great.
Here is the current configuration:

- start session Openbox in lightdm.conf

- Openbox autostarts Kodi

- My Monitorinig script checks wether there are openbox-childprocesses, gnome-terminal-sessions and kodi-sessions. If no one of them is active, it starts kodi.

- crontab starts the script every 10 seconds in my case

Thanks for your help. I will test this config the next days.

EDIT: I saw that if Kodi is started by cron, the shutdown-options in kodi are missing. Maybe kodi needs in cron a parameter to show this options again?

Greetings

Nicke

Code:
sudo apt install libnfs8

should do the trick for you, took me a while to find that one too since everything in my house runs from nfs shares.
I used this guide to successfully install kodi/emulationstation/steam on my zbox ci232 (thank you!) but have hit upon a problem: wifi will not work in kodi. i have logged in to openbox and set up wifi (reports an ip address and can connect to internet), but when i reboot, and go back into kodi wifi is not working.

Tried exiting kodi to the openbox login, set user to kodi (or kodi openbox) and logged in, which takes me to kodi without the aeon nox skin and wifi works. However, on reboot it boots back into aeon nox skinned kodi and wifi is not connected.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for the great tutorial!

I am wondering if anyone can throw me a bone and post a link to their es_systems.cfg for me to use as a template. The one linked to earlier in this thread is no longer online, and I can't figure out the correct command for starting the emulators.

I don't want to go down the road of installing retropie if I can help it.
Hello,

we use RetroPie x86 and there is no need for a self designed es_systems.cfg as we get a working one OOTB.

cya

BTW:

I will redo my HTPC using Ubuntu-Mate on another SSD because i wanna try it with compiz-standalone instead of openbox - so let's see how it goes...
I’ll update the guide soon with a link to a working EmulationStation config.

@mcaron1234: I did a quick search and fund this es_system.cfg. It seems to be all right. Please report back if it was OK.

PS: Remember to change the path between the <path></path> tags to point to our roms.
Thanks for the link. Between that link and this one: SYSTEMS.md I was able to piece together a decent cfg file. Here's mine: http://pastebin.com/ZGrjV5qX. If you spot any improvements I'd be pleased to receive the advice.

One other thing, there is a new(ish) launcher add on that you may want to consider updating the guide for: Advanced Emulator Launcher.

Nextup is getting retroarch, Dolphin and PCSX2 configured properly.
I have tried out a lot of different ways to make Kodi a jack-of-all-trades for my media center needs. I have not tried Advanced Emulator Launcher, but considering I also play Steam, emulators, native Linux games and WINE I do not think it will satisfy all my needs.

My current setup is using Lutris as a back-end and Lutris Kodi add-on as the front-end in Kodi. It is quite a slick setup and a lot better I think than my previous attempt described in this guide. I have been meaning to write up a new guide for some time now, but you know, life and stuff…
Hello,
big thanks for the how to, great work!

Because i need a UEFI instalation instead of Bios, i use lubuntu instead of Ubuntu minimal (the minimal versions are not EFI compatible).
And I'm not sure if I've done everything right, so I have a few questions.
When I exit kodi I come directly to the logon screen of lubuntu, is that correct?
At point 6. (auto login) in the file "/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf" the lubuntu user is already registered:
Code:
[Seat:*]
#autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=Het
autologin-user-timeout=0
Should I remove this entry or just add the kodi-openbox entry?
(Het are the lubuntuuser, i used a different user for kodi. s that right or should it be the same?)
i use a externa USB-Disc for my mediastuff (movies, music, ..), but I can not access it in kodi, at "/ media" nothing is mounted (if I close kodi and login Lubuntu the hard disk is autmatically mounted and I can access the data). Can I make the disc also reachable under Kodi?

Greetings,
H.
Quote:When I exit kodi I come directly to the logon screen of lubuntu, is that correct?
That is the intended behaviour.

Quote:i use a externa USB-Disc for my mediastuff (movies, music, ..), but I can not access it in kodi, at "/ media" nothing is mounted (if I close kodi and login Lubuntu the hard disk is autmatically mounted and I can access the data). Can I make the disc also reachable under Kodi?
Install the package usbmount. That should solve your problem.
hello solbero,

thanks for the quick replay.
Quote:Install the package usbmount. That should solve your problem.
i installed the package usbmount but that did not help. The hard disk is still not available in Kodi.
If I look at the path "Root/media/" in Kodi there is not my hard disk but a folder with the user-name of Ubuntu (i can´t open it). Since I have installed usbmount there are additionally still 7 folders with the names USB1 to USB7 there (also can´t open it). If i start kodi from the ubuntu-GUI (with the Ubuntu user) the hard disk is available.

Btw: if i exit Kodi and login to ubuntu-GUI, can i go back to Kodi?

greetings,
H.
Quote:If I look at the path "Root/media/" in Kodi there is not my hard disk but a folder with the user-name of Ubuntu (i can´t open it). Since I have installed usbmount there are additionally still 7 folders with the names USB1 to USB7 there (also can´t open it). If i start kodi from the ubuntu-GUI (with the Ubuntu user) the hard disk is available.
The usb0 to usb7 are created by usbmount and your hard drive should be symbolically linked to one of them. Run the command ls -l /media/ through SSH while in Kodi. Post the output to a pastebin and link to it here.

Quote:Btw: if i exit Kodi and login to ubuntu-GUI, can i go back to Kodi?
You need to specify the session you would like to log into. There should be a small icon in the top right side when you are on the login screen. The icon should look like the Lubuntu logo. Click that and select kodi-openbox from the drop down. Then log in.

Btw, how many users have you created? You use Het for Kodi, and I guess you have also created an admin account. Any more?
(2017-03-21, 23:38)solbero Wrote: Btw, how many users have you created? You use het for Kodi, and I guess you have also created an admin account. Any more?
almost right, Het is my lubuntu user with root rights. futhermore i added a secound user with limited privielgs for kodi etc. (like in you how to). So i have two user.

(2017-03-21, 23:38)solbero Wrote: The usb0 to usb7 are created by usbmount and your hard drive should be symbolically linked to one of them. Run the command ls -l /media/ through SSH while in Kodi. Post the output to a pastebin and link to it here.
Hers the output:
Code:
het@Server:~$ ls -l /media/
insgesamt 4
drwxr-x---+ 1 root root 40 Mär 22 17:55 het
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  4 Mär 22 17:58 usb -> usb0
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb0
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb1
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb2
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb3
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb4
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb5
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb6
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  0 Mär 22 17:58 usb7
My disks are all (auto)mounted to the lubuntu-user, on which the kodi-user has no access.
Code:
het@Server:~$ ls -l /media/het/
insgesamt 0
drwx------ 1 root root 0 Mär 22 17:51 TOSH-2TB
drwx------ 1 root root 0 Mär 22 17:55 WD4TB1
drwx------ 1 root root 0 Mär 22 17:55 WD4TB2
All the privileges seems to be all right on the drives mounted by usbmount. You should be able to open the folder /media/usb, which is your Toshiba drive, with the Kodi user. Obviously when mounted under the het user in the folder /media/het they are only accessible by that user.

What is happening here? Well, if I remember my linux correctly, both /media/het/TOSH-2TB and /media/usb point to the same location in /dev/. Probably /dev/sdc since it seems like you have two internal hard drives which would be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. When a drive is mounted in /media/ with certain privileges at the mount point, those privileges are carried down to the drive when accessed from that mount point. That is why /media/usb and /media/het/TOSH-2TB should show the same content, but have different user privileges for access.
thanks for your answer,

I have now simply created a new group, which has access to the hard drive and added the Kod-iuser to this group. So everything fits now Wink

BTW: Do you still use lutris? I found a kodi-repo for lutris on github and consider it to give it a try.
I'm having issues with EmulationStation not wanting to launch any games...

I've got the system set up exactly to your instructions, and EmulationStation installs great and launches, but when I select a rom to launch, ES disappears for a second, I see kodi for a second, and then I'm back to ES like nothing happened.

I've checked ES logs, as well as the runcommand logs, and everything seems to be working fine.

I tried adding the fix gammelobst mentioned in this thread, adding the "terminal" to the launch, but to no avail....a terminal just pops up then I'm back to kodi.

Is anybody able to shine a light on my issue?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation4