HOW-TO use XBMC's SQL Music database
xbmc has a true music database.

this database which is using sqlite is and will be created by xbmc. its placed in xbmc\mymusic.db
it holds:
- all artists
- all genres
- all songs
- all albums
- all albuminfo
found in your oggvorbis/mp3 files

when you open up my music you'll notice the scan button. if you press this button xbmc will scan the current directory and all subdirectories for mp3/oggvorbis files.
for each file the id3/ogg tag is read, parsed and put into the mymusic database.

now the fun part, after scanning you music selection you can sort your music by artists, genres, albums or just plain files
todo this, hit the 'view songs' button.
by pressing it multiple times you cycle between
artists : browse your music collection by artist
genres : browse your music collection by genres
albums : browse your music collection by albums
songs : browse your music collection by directory

its very important that your music files contains mp3's/ogg files with correctly filled in id3/ogg tags. only then will the music database work

album art from http://www.allmusic.com
another nice thing is looking up the album art.
remember the imdb lookup from xbmp?
well album art is the same thing for your music files. just
press the white button (or remote info) when the cursor is on a music file and xbmc will lookup all information & download a thumbnail from www.allmusic.com

offcourse your xbox needs 2b connected to the internet to use this feature.

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
does xbmc pick up album art that is stored as a tag within the mp3 file as well? that would be nice.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| xbox1: v1.1, samsung dvd,120 gb hd,x-ecuter pro 2.2,xbmc
| xbox2: v1.2, phillips dvd, retail hd, tsop, avalaunch, xbmc
| xirremote, x2_4977, media center utils
Quote:does xbmc pick up album art that is stored as a tag within the mp3 file as well? that would be nice.
no, i didnt knew this is possible? can you gimme an url which explains this?

frodo
(frodo @ oct. 01 2003,13:30 Wrote:
Quote:does xbmc pick up album art that is stored as a tag within the mp3 file as well? that would be nice.
i don't know much about this either but here is a win32 util (link) that does it (think written in c#)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
nearly all mp3 tag editing tools allow you to store album art within the mp3 file as a tag. i use http://www.musicmatch.com but you can download nearly any tag editing program and it will work. in fact i have all my album art stored within my mp3 files and hence i wrote a program to extract the album art in a format suitable for xbmp thumbnails. the program i wrote is available at http://mp3imagetagextr.sourceforge.net/ .

while you are looking at this feature just keep in mind that most tag editing programs can also store lyrics as tags and it would be cool to also be able to display this in xbmc.

for a general overview on mp3 tags look at: http://www.id3.org/

if you want some help on code on how to extract the album art you can take a look at my code. its in java but you will get the idea.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| xbox1: v1.1, samsung dvd,120 gb hd,x-ecuter pro 2.2,xbmc
| xbox2: v1.2, phillips dvd, retail hd, tsop, avalaunch, xbmc
| xirremote, x2_4977, media center utils
here is all the information that is needed for id3 tags:

id3.org

-eric
i have made some code in python that could put a jpg or png picture in a file containing a id3v2 tag. you just open the image as a stream and copy the img data in the apic frame of the id3 tag. thats it.
d oyou have to scan the files before the white button trick will work?! i have tried the white button time and time again but it does not work!

frodo - if you are interested, one of the best application as a music server is the server application used by the slimp3 player. the application is perl and open source. it does retreive and display the album art from the information embeded in the file's id3 tag, when there. they have also developped the slim server to look in the folder containing the files for the art as a jpeg.

i am sure if you search the archives of the dev list, you will find much more about this.

http://www.slimp3.com

ciao.
Smile 
i know that xbmc plays .wma files. a while ago i started to turn all my mp3 music collection and my cd collection (i still have 80 albums to go... Huh) to .wma files because i like the sound quality better than mp3 at the same bitrate. i use the newest wmp to create the .wma files and i also just like san9jay have stored album art and information in the .wma files only my problem is that when i play the files using both the xbmc and xbmp i don't see shit. only the file name. is it in the xbmc and xbmp not possible to show tag info that is inside the .wma file or did i do something wrong??thnx
xbmc doesnt support album tags in any other format besides mp3 & ogg right now

frodo
is it possible to make one for xbmc and put in xbmc v1.0(sorry i'm not a programmer) it would be great do...
is it also true that the album art isn't actualy stored inside the .wma file but kept separetly from the file?? keep up the good work guys!
hehe,

nice thad there is a music database, which contains all infos about each song stored on the pc and the xbox.

but it would be much nicer when the search function also use the infos stored in the database. Image

btw it feels like the search function ditn´t use the powerfull database. nice when sombody can fix it.
i want to get the fullest use out of the music db, as i use xbmc more for music than video. first i have a few questions:

should i use id3 or id3v2?
if a file has both, which does xbmc use/store in it's db?

is there any way to have the db display albums in a simlilar hierarchy to the way the ipod does it? i.e. if you sort by artist (artist view) you get a list of artist. choosing an artist brings up a list of albums by that artist. choosing an album displays the songs [ in track order first, else by name] of that album.

how do you/does xbmc determine what icon to use for an artist? does it just pick the first folder.jpg in a folder with songs for an artist?
--jaga
--jaga

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO use XBMC's SQL Music database0