Half of my TV shows not being identified
I'm starting to scan my media library into XBMC and am having trouble identifying nearly half of my TV shows. Once a show is identified, my individual episodes are ID'd perfectly. It's only the show name identification which is having difficulty.

My TV shows are all structured like this:

\tv\tvshowname (year)\season\foo.s01e01.*
\tv\Boardwalk Empire (2010)\Boardwalk Empire - S01\boardwalk.empire.s01e01.*

The problem is that Boardwalk Empire won't be identified with the TVDB scraper until I drop the year identifier (2010) from the folder name.

eg.
\tv\Boardwalk Empire (2010)\ - will not be identified
\tv\Boardwalk Empire\ - is okay

These shows won't identify on TVDB:

\tv\Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955)\
\tv\Adam Hills in Gordon St Tonight (2011)\
\tv\Batman The Animated Series (1992)\
\tv\Black Books (2000)\
\tv\Bush Mechanics (2001)\
\tv\Californication (2007)\

These ones do identify. No problems:

\tv\Alice (2009)\
\tv\Archer (2009)\
\tv\Ashes to Ashes (2008)\
\tv\Being Human (2008)\
\tv\Breaking Bad (2008)\
\tv\Brotherhood (2006)\

Here are the xbmc.logs

1. This is \Boardwalk Empire (2010)\ failing to be identified
2. This is \Boardwalk Empire\ being identified
3. This is a "Scan for new content" showing multiple failures to identify in my media library.

All of my TV shows have \tvshowname (year)\ as their folder name, and nearly half of them won't identify correctly unless I remove the (year). I manually added the years to all of the folders by combing through TVDB manually as I was sorting through my media library this past week, so the years definitely match what TVDB says they should be.

Does anyone know the easiest method to get these shows identified properly?

I could create nfos for them all or change every folder name, but I'm sure that there's a neater solution to this. I tried the "Extra REGEX for TV Show Episode matching" but I was kind of stabbing in the dark with that one. I'm not sure if editing the advancedsettings.xml is even remotely the correct direction to solve this.
Nevermind. It took me a while, but I fixed it all manually by creating tvshow.nfo files for them.

It's bizarre that TV shows can't be identified with its date in the folder name, while the opposite is true for movies. Indeed, for movies is preferred to have the dates!
Searching on thetvdb.com for the same things will show you also have no results if you have the year appended.

I agree this is silly and should be fixed if possible. Whether that's fixed at our end or at thetvdb's end.

Please post a ticket on trac with the details you've included here. cc olympia, vdrfan and myself.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Half of my TV shows not being identified0