Problem with only 2 channel HDMI output
I have just built an XBMC HTPC using this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856176005

I've installed my TechNet Windows 7 Pro N and running XBMC with EventGhost. The remote works great and 1080p video rendering nicely (after some problems getting the drivers to work).

I've also installed the audio drivers from the Giada website;
http://www.giadatech.com/index.php?app=n...load&bid=3

Yet I cannot get 5 channels going through the HDMI. The connection is direct to my Yamaha reciver and no matter what I do in Windows, I cannot figure out how to get it working.

I've tried to find a RealTec HDMI specific driver, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone have any experience in this area? It is the last tiny thing I need to do before this setup works perfectly.
Does anyone know if this is an audio driver or video driver issue? Driving me a little nuts I can't find this working.
have you tried changing the settings in xbmc under settings-system-audio?
wes paich Wrote:have you tried changing the settings in xbmc under settings-system-audio?

Yes and it made no difference. When I look in the control panel I see the NVIDIA HDMI audio playback device and it's working fine. However it only has 2 channels for output. I've got the latest drivers from NVIDIA and I downloaded the drivers from Giada for the RealTek. The problem is I don't know exactly what chipset is in the Giada and the REalTek website has very specific options to download drivers based on chipset.

The NVIDIA website had a nice ActiveX control that detected my ION device and installed the right drivers for it. I kinda need a way to figure out what RealTek chip is in there. I might email Giada in the morning, see if they have any support.

So far this has been an excellent first time experience in XBMC and this is the only issue left. It has nothing really to do with XBMC, but i'm hoping there are some experienced users here who may have seen similar problems with Windows HDMI drivers and a lack of 5.1 output.
Possibly already checked this but make sure Windows is configured to 5.1 in sound panel.

Control Panel\Sounds\Highlight the Nvidia HDMI output, then configure from the bottom left hand of the screen - make sure it is ouputting 5.1 from there.
steelman1991 Wrote:Possibly already checked this but make sure Windows is configured to 5.1 in sound panel.

Control Panel\Sounds\Highlight the Nvidia HDMI output, then configure from the bottom left hand of the screen - make sure it is ouputting 5.1 from there.

Just checked, I have two items in my Playback list.

NVIDIA HDMI Out (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Currently the HDMI is selected as the default device and when I select configure on it I get one option, Stereo, for the audio channels. It doesn't let me select any 5.1 configuration.

Is this a problem with the NVIDIA driver or the Realtek? I'm not quite sure how HDMI works at this level.
Looks like a problem with the Nvidia drivers, though I'm not sure how to resolve it. Seem to remember a discussion either here or at AVS Forum, where someone had this problem. Will try and find the thread and link to it.
steelman1991 Wrote:Looks like a problem with the Nvidia drivers, though I'm not sure how to resolve it. Seem to remember a discussion either here or at AVS Forum, where someone had this problem. Will try and find the thread and link to it.

I have been working with the guys in NVIDIA IT (I work for Microsoft) so I might just ask a few guys and see if any of them can beg an internal ear to look at the problem.
After further playing I seem to have this working. Even though the HDMI device states it only supports 2 channels, if I set the audio setting of XBMC to HDMI (It was analog) and enable DTS but not AC3, it works. I now get 5 channels to the Yamaha reciever.

Now I have a volume issue. When playing video the level drops significantly. Yet the audio of the XBMC interface itself is at a normal volume.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with only 2 channel HDMI output0