New user needs Music Tag info/reassurance
I am about to install XBMC on a New HTPC and at first I want it only for playing music - lots and lots of music. So much that I never want to retag it all.

II. So here goes - My miusic is all .flac and each album has a playlist in .m3u format.

Am I ok so far?

III. My album are in separate folders named as follows: Artist - Album_M where _M connotates the fact that I have made MP3s from the contents.
e.g. ABBA - Gold Greatest Hits_M
1. Is the _M a problem?

My music files are named as follows: Track Number - Artist - Song Title
e.g. 01 - Abba - Dancing Queen.flac
1. Is this OK?

IV. My music is tagged in the following format: Artist; Album Artist; Album Title; Song Title; Year; Genre; Track#; bitrate; Time; Art; Rating - I do not rate my music so this column is currently empty. an example
ABBA - Abba - [Abba - Gold Greatest Hits] - Dancing Queen - 1993 - Rock - 01 - 986 - 03.52 - art is present- - rating (is blank)

My questions are:

1. Is the above tag format/style oK?

2. If not what is the format I should follow?

3. In brackets above one can see how I have been naming my "albums" in this part of the tag is it better to leave out the duplication of the artist?

Finally what about compilation albums?
Should artist and album artist both be VA/Various Artists or is there a better way?

Thanks,

srenovo - newbie -nobbie
I use xbmc for audio 99% of the time.
Never used flac (all mp3) & never had any problems.

Have alook at the music section on the wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Music)

Add your music source & then scan it into the library If anythings wrong with the tag format you'll see it.

As for compilation albums the album artist tag must be Various Artists

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New user needs Music Tag info/reassurance0