Smallest quietest CPU Fan & smallest case
I just purchased the MSI E350IA-E45.
I am thinking about getting the Mini-box M350 case.

Apparently the CPU fan is
2 questions:
1. What is the best CPU fan for this. I am considering the Scythe Shuriken 3, will it fit the case & mobo ? Is there a better alternative that would fit the case.
2. Is there any alternative case that is smaller & better than the 350 ?

Thanks.
Can you provide a link to the heatsink you are referring too? The only one that comes up in a search is the big one for the desktop CPUs, in the LGA 1156, 775, 478, and AM2/3 sockets...surely you don't mean this one do you?

If thats the case then no it will not fit the M350 case because it is 64mm tall while the M350 itself is only 62mm tall, but you have even less clearance than that once you have mounted the board in the case. Removing the fan would drop it down to 52mm presumably but thats not even the biggest problem..

The real problem would be in modifying the heatsink to fit the E350. These boards have embedded chips (the E350 and Hudson M1). You dont have a traditional mounting bracket like you do with desktop chips. All you have is 2 sets of tiny holes separated by about 40-45mm each. Plus with so many little capacitors and other components littered around the chips, you will have to cut into the heatsink and take notches out of it to fit around these components, which will be tricky with all those heatpipes. And thats before you even consider the difficulty you will have making a heatsink cover the M1 and the 350, or fitting a small heatsink just for the M1.

There are currently no after market heatsinks available to swap on these boards. You either have to live with what comes with the board, or modify something on your own. The fan that comes with this MSI board is pretty annoying, but you can remove it and install a better fan. The 40 mm Silenx for example is very quiet and provides enough airflow. Many of us have been able to remove the fan all together and just run passive with the stock heatsink. IF you have decent airflow this is a fine option. If you dont, then its worth it to add something like that silenx and just set the bios to reduce the fan speed until the chip reaches an unsafe temperate.
Wicky,
Thanks a bunch for this. You are right the Shuriken is too big. So that SilenX will fit on the CPU cooler ?

Thanks.
I just built my first HTPC using that same motherboard and the M350, it was NOT the best choice for that case.

Unlike other E350 boards, the MSI E350IA places the 24-pin power connector directly on top of the front-port USB/switch cables in the M350 case.

It also placed the 4-pin connector too far away for the PicoPSU cable to reach, I had to have someone at work lengthen it an extra 6 inches.

I removed the stock fan and purchased a Scythe Mini Ultra fan, it only pushes 5 CFM but it's dead silent.

I'll post pics later of my build so you can an idea of what it's like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smallest quietest CPU Fan & smallest case0