XIP files, two dozen files instead of thousands
i would venture a guess that this would come on the compiling end of things?

instead of having a dozen folders with hundreds of small files in them, what about having a dozen xip files? weather.xip, mplayer.xip, python.xip, screensavers.xip, etc...

it would cut down on ftp time considerably and allow for easy updating. i realise that some folders need to remain as folders. for the folders that are static, why not make them all xbox dlls? perhaps somebody could shed a light on the subject.
Exclamation 
only files that there's a lot of is skins xml, ...so if those xml could all be put in a uncompressed lha/lzh file or something similar (that could be opened by anyone on a pc) that'll be enough
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(gamester17 @ feb. 16 2005,12:46 Wrote:only files that there's a lot of is skins xml, ...so if those xml could all be put in a uncompressed lha/lzh file or something similar (that could be opened by anyone on a pc) that'll be enough
that's not right. it's not only the skins:

project mayhem: 118 files
visualisations: 1509 files (!Wink
weather: 100 files

visualisations takes a loooong time. (much faster with the evox ftp server though, as i've pointed out earlier. something you can do to get as good performance with the xmbc ftp server?)

(as for the media player and its codecs, about 150 files, i guess it shoudn't be made changes to it?)

and, btw, a great suggestion!
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
wtf are you constantly uploading all that stuff?

i very rarely upload more than about 10 files at a time during an upgrade.

the major issue with having everything in a zip or whatever is loading performance. if the zip is storage only, then it might prove advantageous for some things such as skins which could be packaged.

visualisations is up to the authors of them to support it. it's only really g-force that has all those config files.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(vnm @ feb. 16 2005,15:33 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ feb. 16 2005,12:46 Wrote:only files that there's a lot of is skins xml, ...so if those xml could all be put in a uncompressed lha/lzh file or something similar (that could be opened by anyone on a pc) that'll be enough
that's not right. it's not only the skins:

project mayhem: 118 files
visualisations: 1509 files (!Wink
weather: 100 files

visualisations takes a loooong time
you're right, how could i forget about all those (doh!  :nutsSmile, ...a one package container for all those gforce files has been suggested before here (link) ,
...though i'm not sure xip is designed for that (thought it was meant only for libraries and executables?), maybe lzo can be used since already in xbmc?
and as jmarshall has already mentionned, there is no need to be sending visualizations/weather each time. those folders rarely change.

so, cut those out of your upload and you should have less to complain about right?

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

(jmarshall @ feb. 16 2005,16:51 Wrote:wtf are you constantly uploading all that stuff?

the major issue with having everything in a zip or whatever is loading performance.  if the zip is storage only, then it might prove advantageous for some things such as skins which could be packaged.
yes, i like to make clean installs. Blush i don't want to spend time finding out what files have changed everytime i do an upgrade. remeber that i'm not a dev! it's faster to just copy it all over, along with the custumized xml's and scripts.

remember that most users dont have a clue about how xbmc works. the don't ever visit this forum, they just download a build and then uploads it to their xbox. for them this would be better. (or is it?) for my part, leave it as it is.

but if it affects xbmc performance it really shouldn't be done...
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
Smile 
now that milkdop has been ported :bowdown: i was wondering would it be possible for vis with many preset files to put all these into one zip file?
the vis would have to read it directly from the zip. i don't know whether this is possible?

but this would make renaming unnecessary, since only the zip must obey fatx filename conventions.
as a nice side effect transferring files via ftp would be speed up noticeably :d

thanks for the great port!
"it really whips the llama's ass"

bernd
i believe someone is working on incorperating rar compression into xbmc file handling. this would automatically make something like this possible.
see rar thread
yep, this is already being looked into, so no award for this idea, hehe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XIP files, two dozen files instead of thousands0