Intel Core i3 vs Nvidia GeForce GT 430
Hi Laugh
What I want:
1. Good Linux support
2. Bluray 3D support
3. HD Audio support(bitstream)
Do i really need GT 430?
Maybe Core i3 Integrated Graphics can do this?

How do you think?
Well. 1 and 3 won't work no matter what you decide upon.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
The GT430 has both HD audio bitstreaming capabilities and Linux support and 3D Blu Ray. The Core i3 lacks out of the box Linux support.
The GT430 doesn't have Linux HD Audio Bit-streaming.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
^yet.

AudioEngine should fix this soon, hopefully.

But Linux will still lack 3D bluray support, so unfortunately Windows will be a must for now.
Anssi Wrote:For the record, and as a summary:
  • We know how to make E-AC-3 / DTS-HD / TrueHD bitstreaming work on Linux, and it is planned to implement this in AudioEngine (I've also confirmed the bitstream syntax with danconti).
  • Windows support is possible (MSDN), but this of course requires a Windows developer to do it Smile (which I am not)

E-AC-3 should work (at least on Linux) on all cards that have 192kHz stereo support, which is probably everyone except ATI cards (see below). Also (again, at least on Linux) DTS-HD streams that are below 6.144 Mbps should work on all cards that have 192kHz stereo support (i.e. e.g. ION / GF9400 is enough) (I tested with the only full-length sample I have and the stream never peaked over 6.144 Mbps for the duration of the movie, so these do exist). This is not possible for low-bitrate TrueHD streams, though.

Support status of full (over 6.144 Mbps) DTS-HD / TrueHD (from a driver/hw standpoint; not yet in XBMC):
  • NVIDIA GeForce 200 series works partially (I believe it is slightly buggy and it depends on the A/V receiver if it works or not), but on *Linux only*; the 200 series is not supported on Windows at all
  • NVIDIA GeForce 400 series works
  • ATI cards do not work on Linux; they seem to have a non-standard interface for anything else than 48kHz stereo audio, some information from AMD about that will be needed to get it working (or some serious trial-and-error by someone who has such a card Smile)
  • ATI cards work on Windows, but I don't know which ones have bitstreaming support
  • INTEL HDMI graphics chipsets that should work, at least on Linux: IbexPeak (0x80862804), CougarPoint
  • INTEL HDMI graphics chipsets that have no hw support: Cantiga, Eaglelake
  • INTEL HDMI graphics chipsets that I don't know about: Bearlake, IbexPeak (0x80860054), Crestline
Note that the NVIDIA information above is mostly gathered from the relevant nvnews.net and Phoronix threads. I could be wrong on the other entries as well, as this hasn't been very widely tested at this point (for example, no actual Intel testers).

You can check DTS-HD/TrueHD support on Linux by checking for "HBR" text in "Pincap" line in /proc/asound/cardX/codec#Y (as previously mentioned, low-bitrate DTS-HD can be done without HBR). For actually testing it, you can see the above threads (or just wait for XBMC to get support :p).

As for the software (XBMC), gnif has already implemented True HD in the AudioEngine, won`t be long until DTS-HD is ready and AE is merged into the nightlies
SpectreX Wrote:The GT430 has both HD audio bitstreaming capabilities and Linux support and 3D Blu Ray. The Core i3 lacks out of the box Linux support.

Yes, I know.
I need Windows for that(bluray 3d) Sad
Intel support for Linux is not that bad Big Grin And drivers are open source. Cool Laugh
VA-API works no problem.
HD Audio Bitstreaming should not be problem too.
One more thing, WTF is 23.976Fps problem with intel?
refresh.
WTF is 23.976FPS problem with intel sandy bridge?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Core i3 vs Nvidia GeForce GT 4300