Will this setup work?
I recently was given a older Gateway computer. Will this setup work alright for XBMC?

Motherboard:Intel Brownsville D845GBV
CPU:Intel Celeron 2400MHz Socket 478 (single core)
Memory:768MB of DDR PC2700(333 MHz) (1 512MB 1 256MB)
Hard Drives:WD 37GB, Maxtor 186GB...WD 2TB external USB 2.0
Video:(Have a RADEON 9250 128MB I could use, but S-Video is producing black-white TV for some reason) otherwise its just VGA out (has 64MB on board)

Should I upgrade this at all? Or will it work as posted? Suggestions? Motherboard will support 2GB of Memory.

Thanks guys.
If you buy a suitable nvidia graph card I looks like it could be fine for xbmcLive installed to disk. (xbmc linux). Not sure what card the kids buy now...Wink GT210 or something like that? Just make sure it support VDPAU. (by googling it)

I THINK the memory will be OK but not 100% sure. If 750 is not ok, 2GB is plenty as long as you use linux.
KWfarmer Wrote:Video:(Have a RADEON 9250 128MB I could use, but S-Video is producing black-white TV for some reason) otherwise its just VGA out (has 64MB on board)

That usually means the card is configured for NTSC and it's connected to a PAL television, or vice versa.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:That usually means the card is configured for NTSC and it's connected to a PAL television, or vice versa.

JR

Yup I did some reading online last night about that, I checked it out about 5 mins ago and the jumper on the card was setup for PAL and not NTSC like I needed it to be. Have yet to try it out.
Well got the video card working, but the problem is, I can't put it in the Gateway mentioned above because there is no AGP slot. And the computer the card is currently in, the CPU doesn't support SSE, so I can't run XBMC on it. So right now my XBMC build is on hold until I figure out what to do. I do have another computer I'm going to look into using parts off of.
Right now I've decided to set that Gateway on my home network and just share files. I will then do playback on a TV using XBMC on my Laptop. No media files will be used in XBMC off of the laptop. It will all be on the Gateway.

Gateway specs are listed above.
Laptop

Asus F3JP
120GB WD Hard Drive
ATI Radeon X1700 256MB Video Card
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00MHz
2GB of RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
How do I go about accessing my media files on my Gateway from anywhere. As in if I'm outside my own network?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will this setup work?0