• 10(current)
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?
I am interested in speeding up video too. I use my PC for this, but it'd be nice to have it on my XMBC device too.

It is something that many people want. Even Windows Media player has supported this for ages. Back about 10 years ago I used WM player for it and you had to install a special plugin. Soon after it became a built-in feature.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...=windows-7

VLC does it and nicely with fine tuning abilities. You can choose from 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x.... and so on.

I believe the very popular Media Player Classic Home Cinema does it.

iPhones and iPods also have this ability. (At least for podcasts.)

If this feature is offered, please allow fine tuning and go beyond 1.5x.
Do all those other programs do it without changing the pitch of the audio? (Mythfrontend does, but eg mplayer increases the pitch as the speed of the video increases.)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Good to know that there are a bunch of working alternatives...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-11-17, 00:20)EyeCandy Wrote: I am interested in speeding up video too. I use my PC for this, but it'd be nice to have it on my XMBC device too.

It is something that many people want. Even Windows Media player has supported this for ages. Back about 10 years ago I used WM player for it and you had to install a special plugin. Soon after it became a built-in feature.

VLC does it and nicely with fine tuning abilities. You can choose from 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x.... and so on.

I use only VLC (as media player on PC only) and never seen 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x.... specifically labelled - I see It has

Faster
Faster (fine)
Normal
Slower (fine)
Slower

That's with normal settings, no idea if there are some settings which impact what labels say or what it equivalent to either.

In any case its works rather well for music/video
(2014-11-17, 19:46)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-11-17, 00:20)EyeCandy Wrote: I am interested in speeding up video too. I use my PC for this, but it'd be nice to have it on my XMBC device too.

I use only VLC (as media player on PC only) and never seen 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x.... specifically labelled - I see It has

Faster
Faster (fine)
Normal
Slower (fine)
Slower

That's with normal settings, no idea if there are some settings which impact what labels say or what it equivalent to either.

In any case its works rather well for music/video

Press ] for faster by 0.1 step ( from 1.0 ) and [ for slower. Press = to reset playback speed back to 1.0

I love this feature on VLC. I strongly want this on Kodi/XBMC which is the best hardware usage/require to play Full HD movies on my 1st gen ION PC. VLC load too much higher CPU usage.
Thats because vlc isnt using vdpau hardware acceleration then.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_GPU_Decoding/ go use that then if you want lower cpu usage if it works with 1.5x playback and hw decoding ...
I wouldn't mind having this feature either.

For my Uni studies, I watch a lot of lectures on youtube. On a laptop, in Chrome, I can play these videos at 1.25, 1.5, and 2x the speed of the normal video and still listen to audio. Most of the lectures are an hour or more long and most of that time is spent dragging words to fill the time slot. Being able to watch is at a faster speed helps me get the knowledge from the video while not wasting any time. There are plenty of times, I watch these videos on my TV using XBMC but I can only watch them at normal speed.

Having said that, I agree with a comment regarding watching movies. If I don't have time for the whole movie at its intended speed, I either wait for a different time or watch it in multiple sittings. :-)
You could try installing mythtv and watching on that, it has this down pat and doesn't even change the audio pitch.

I am not sure how it would go on youtube videos, you may need to download them and play from hard drive, i am unsure if it would work directly from youtube (or indeed whether mythtv currently has a youtube implementation!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks Nickr. I will check it out.
I also would love to see this feature in Kodi. You really will consume more media in your precious time and doesn't take a lot of time to get used to. I first used it with Windows Media Center 10 years ago maybe. You could press the fast forward button once and playback speed increased to 1.4x. This means that watching a 60 minute show takes 40 minutes. The first time you use it the audio sounds a little bit weird, but it's not like everyone are chipmunks or some other fantasy creature. Even my parents got used to it... (this says a lot Wink)
I've been reading this topic a bit and some issues seem to be that hardware acceleration would be limiting this option... heck i would give up hardware acceleration in a blink of an eye and buy a new cpu or even a system if this feature came available in Kodi
I would like to see this feature too. I love Kodi, but that is really a feature that I miss. I have some content that I like to watch accelerated (1.5x original speed) for now I have to watch that on my Tablet where I have VLC installed. I would even donate money for that feature!
This is my #1 frustration with Kodi. I use this feature all the time in both WMC and VLC.

I really prefer Kodi in almost every other way, and I would love to switch from WMC (which is buggy and hasn't been updated in years), but I can't live without being able to watch certain TV shows in 1.5 speed -- especially news and talk shows. Most other media players that I've come across seem to support 1.5x or 2x play with audio (pitch adjusted). Even my 15-year old DVR could do it. VLC is the best of the bunch because it lets you increment it by 0.1x to get to the speed you want.

I realize it may not do any good, but I'm chiming in just to register another check in the request count for this feature.
This may be a stupid question, but could this be done by end-users with playercorefactory.xml and MPV/VLC?

I'm not sure how many folks are really seeking the speed up (I'm definitely one of them), but it "seems" like this could be a way to shim it in for the minority while we wait for an if/when in the official release
sure, using an external player should work.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?11