Crystalbuntu + Gmote
Could anyone point me in the right direction to install Gmote on the Apple TV 1? I realize it is more complicated because it must be done through terminal, not a GUI, but I assume it can be done.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to have a wireless keyboard on my Android phone for text input to XBMC.

Thanks.
Nobody? Come on linux gurus!
I think this discussion might address part of the problem I'm having, but to be honest, I am way over my head here. Any ideas Sam?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/54027...ay-problem
Gmote is an Android remote. That's all I know. You haven't been clear in what you've tried to get it working. Have you Googled Ubuntu + Gmote or XBMC + Gmote. You aren't technically on a headless display like the "Answer" suggests - you are likely just running the Gmote client from a different TTY session XBMC is running in. Nevertheless, try rebuild JDK as suggested -- but I don't think that's your answer, I don't have enough details to help.
I'm trying to get the "server" part to run on your installation. I've done a lot of Googling and so far haven't come up with anything to solve the problem.

I've installed it under the atv acct, but since I think xbmc is the acct at the display do I need to run it under that acct? It starts the way I have it setup now, but it errors out with the aforementioned Java error--x11 display etc.

Should I install a window manager or is there one already installed in your build? I think that's the crux of the problem b/c u have to enter some confirmations in the Java GUI.

Thanks Sam.
There's no XBMC user. It's ran from root though - so you should initialise your Gmote server from rc.local (/etc/rc.local). If you need a desktop manager, use gdm (aptitude install gdm), chuck in gnome-core for a desktop too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crystalbuntu + Gmote0