First HTPC
Hello everyone, I'm planning on replacing my old Xbox with a new HTPC.

I'll use it only for playing movies (1080p) which are already stored on a NAS.
I'd still like to have a responsive and snappy system though.
So basically I was thinking LiveXBMC (Linux).

[CASE+PSU] Compucase 8k01 + 120W PSU
- Will everything fit in the case?
- Is 120W enough? Is it worth it to buy another PSU (that one comes w/ the case)

[MOBO] Gigabyte D525T-UD Mini-ITX Motherboard

[CPU] AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz 2MB Cache Dual Core Processor

[GPU]Gigabyte GV-N84S-512I GeForce 8400GS 512 MB ATX HDMI Graphics Card

[RAM] Kingston valueRAM 2x2GB DDR3 1066 CL7

[HD] Kingston SSD 8GB

[WIFI] Huh
-The NAS is in the same room as the HTPC but i figure i still need wifi-N for streaming 1080p right?
Any difference b/w this and this

[FAN] Scythe - Case Fan - 50 mm - 27 CFM - 4500 RPM - Mini-Kaze - SY501012M
Is this fan better?

Any comment or suggestion on the build is greatly appreciated.
the mobo you linked comes with a processor, why are you buying another one? with that said an amd cpu wont work on an intel mobo. also get a 210 over the 8400 for the same price. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-512MB-GeFor...374&sr=1-1

If the Nas is in the same room go wired, even wireless N can suck for 1080p and be laggy.
That motherboard has a PCI slot, not PCI-e. I strongly recommend you pick a different board to make fitting a graphics card simpler.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
As AJP69 said that board comes with a processor and I don't think it would be as responsive and as snappy as you would like its not far of a atom 330 and that can struggle on a few skins
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
numb7rs Wrote:That motherboard has a PCI slot, not PCI-e. I strongly recommend you pick a different board to make fitting a graphics card simpler.

Good catch didn't even see that.
have a read here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=785111&postcount=1
The case doesn't have anywhere for the GPU and the RAM is over spec'ed so pretty much none of your components will fit with each other. Did you do any research at all?

David

EDIT: The fan you spec'ed is also to small, the Compucase 8k01 takes a 60mm case fan NOT a 50mm one.
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
This board have integrated cpu - there is no way to use your athlon on it...
is PaulThirds still around?
eskro Wrote:is PaulThirds still around?

I'm guessing this was not a serious post. Rolleyes

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
DavidT99 Wrote:I'm guessing this was not a serious post. Rolleyes

David

If so, this has to be the worst troll ever.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
No troll guys just a newbie Wink

Thanks for pointing all my mistakes.
I've read eskro thread but i couldnt find most components here in europe. So i had to improvise.

Ok so,

The MOBO was the wrong one: this one is amd compatible, has pci-e and is cheap

The RAM is too big, i know, but the difference in price was very little.

As for the WIFI so far i'm streaming to my laptop and is not laggy at all so it should be fine.

A 50mm fan should be fine according to this guy...

Anyway i'll keep looking, starting from eskro's link
PaulThirds Wrote:No troll guys just a newbie Wink

Thanks for pointing all my mistakes.
I've read eskro thread but i couldnt find most components here in europe. So i had to improvise.

Ok so,

The MOBO was the wrong one: this one is amd compatible, has pci-e and is cheap

The RAM is too big, i know, but the difference in price was very little.

As for the WIFI so far i'm streaming to my laptop and is not laggy at all so it should be fine.

A 50mm fan should be fine according to this guy...

Anyway i'll keep looking, starting from eskro's link

Trust me, the case fan should be 60mm. I know because I used to have this case. The PSU fan is pretty noisy and the eSATA front connector is a blank. Having said all that I did quite like the case, it was just a bit limiting on upgrade capability.

David

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0