VNSI - Picture goes white - BBC One HD
gott_sei_dank Wrote:dushmainiac, does anything you mention account for lack of memory, like ant_thomas I used yesterdays F1 as a test (god it is dull) I'm using the same repo as him, latest odk-38 the only difference being I'm using natty(64-bit).

After about 1hr40mins everything froze (just as the F1 was getting interesting), I couldn't even ssh into the system, after a couple mins the login prompt appeared I checked dmesg, oom-killer had killed xbmc and it was in the process of restarting, it needed rebooting though flakey usb dvb drivers or hardware at fault, I saved the xbmc log if you need a look.

The longest I've watched any HD from the BBC before was for 1hr30min on BBC HD, one 1hr programme, the other 30mins. This was with analogue sound enabled though, switching to the ac3 track resulted in silence which I latter fixed by changing skin.

My box (ASUS EB1501 Atom 330/ION) does slow down in terms of responsiveness when the screen goes white but it doesn't hang. The screen goes white but the audio is still playing. I can login via SSH without any issues to stop and start XBMC again.
I don't know if it's relevant but I see the same white screen problem periodically when watching BBC One HD and BBC HD recordings made by my MythTV backend.

After the white screen, attempting to replay the file a second time usually just renders a white screen again but another HD or SD file works fine. Restarting XBMC usually allows the original HD file to play fine. Files which cause a problem play ok with vlc.

I am running 10.1 on Karmic. I have seen the problem for awhile, probably >6 months.

paul
I've had it for a similar length of time too and also with recordings.
Interesting that someone with myth has seen this too now that's 3 different backends.. is there anything we can provide extra to a usual debug log that would help pin it down?
Swifty Wrote:Interesting that someone with myth has seen this too now that's 3 different backends.. is there anything we can provide extra to a usual debug log that would help pin it down?

Only thing I can think of is us all making a recording on one of these channels, maybe at night sometime so we can get about 2 hours or so and then make them available to dushmaniac.
I am happy to provide a file which has caused the problem on my copy of XBMC. A 1hr recording would be 6+GB, a large upload - might be easier to post it on a DVD or USB stick (I am based in the UK).

paul
Can you cut out a 5 min sequence which includes the point of interest?
FernetMenta Wrote:Can you cut out a 5 min sequence which includes the point of interest?

I don't think there is a particular point of interest. I've got a feeling it just randomly happens on BBC One HD and BBC HD footage with no real relation to time.
I agree, it's seems random and is not reproducable.

I have some files where it happens and can identify roughly the time at which the problem has occurred.

BTW what is the best way to produce a clip? I did try using ffmpeg to truncate the file a few minutes after I observed the problem, however, if I ran the whole file through ffmpeg it was shrunk by >10%, maybe losing an audio stream and wasn't sure whether the processed file would exhibit the problem.

AFAICT people running mythtv frontend and watching BBC HD content have not reported this problem - does this rule out common s/w eg ubuntu, ffmpeg and video drivers (I am using karmic and 260.16.29) ? Incidentally, I have never seen the problem with C4 HD or any SD content.
pshepherd Wrote:I agree, it's seems random and is not reproducable.

I have some files where it happens and can identify roughly the time at which the problem has occurred.

BTW what is the best way to produce a clip? I did try using ffmpeg to truncate the file a few minutes after I observed the problem, however, if I ran the whole file through ffmpeg it was shrunk by >10%, maybe losing an audio stream and wasn't sure whether the processed file would exhibit the problem.

AFAICT people running mythtv frontend and watching BBC HD content have not reported this problem - does this rule out common s/w eg ubuntu, ffmpeg and video drivers (I am using karmic and 260.16.29) ? Incidentally, I have never seen the problem with C4 HD or any SD content.

I haven't seen the issue with C4HD or any other HD channels. Only BBC One HD and BBC HD, and I think only during the F1 (but that may be because I've been watching for over an hour in these cases!)

I've had the issue with Lucid and with Maverick. Various XBMC-PVR versions and various nvidia driver versions.
Hi All

just a quick bit of info that I came up on when trying to edit BBC HD recordings from MythTV. The BBC broadcast a switch moving from progressive to interlaced on their HD channels, this is evident when you reencode something like Doctor Who into progressive and the end credits jump about.

This happens at GOP boundries as shown here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchandde...d-on.shtml

If this isnt of use please ignore.

Many thanks all!

Edz
Also, the issue still exists after the BBC changed their HD channels from DVB-S to DVB-S2.
A quick note...

I've just been watching BBC HD for 2 1/2 hours and haven't experienced the White Screen issue. There has been a change though, it was being broadcast at 1920x1080 rather than 1440x1080, and probably some other stream changes too.
And then ~20 mins of BBC One HD and it goes white...
Just watched the whole of the F1 qualifying on BBC One HD without the white screen.

I'm currently on the latest ODK and running VDR 1.7.21 off the unstable PPA with the xvdr plugin and addon.

Obviously I don't know where the solution has come but wherever it has I'm happy!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VNSI - Picture goes white - BBC One HD0