Looking for a way to force reload of settings.xml (and other questions)
I'm trying to make a "select" that i can modify, for the moment i have this settings.xml

Code:
<settings>
  <category label="30100">
    <setting id="server_list" label="30100" type="select" values="" default=""/>
  </category>
  <category label="30101">
        <setting default="" id="server_add" label="30111" type="text" />
        <setting action="RunScript($CWD/resources/lib/edit_servers.py,add)" default="" id="add_server" label="30101" option="close" type="action" />
  </category>
</settings>

The edit_servers.py script modifies settings.xml, adds the server to then values in "server_list". That works ok but the changes to the settings.xml file arent reflected in the UI immediately. I have to exit the addon config so it updates the values. Is there a way to force a reload of the settings.xml file, or maybe make openSettings() reread them, or add a parameter to openSettings() to do it?

Another question: in visible="eq(-1,1)" the -1 is a relative value, would it be possible to add an absolute value too? something like visible="eq(abs:1,1)" meaning the first setting, i saw the cpp code and it doesnt seem that hard.

And another question: Can categories be hidden/enabled like the settings with visible="eq(-1,1)"?
What is it you're trying to do?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Im trying to have a spinner/combobox where i can add/remove items programatically, not fixed. The other 2 questions arent as important. I can work around those.
Right, and why exactly do you need that? Do you need to configure each of these things you're adding separately, so you're trying to offer the user a way to store previously-configured items?

I'm trying to accertain exactly what the requirement is so I can think about how it could be best implemented. Having the script writer alter settings.xml is dodgy at best Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Right, and why exactly do you need that? Do you need to configure each of these things you're adding separately, so you're trying to offer the user a way to store previously-configured items?

Exactly, I'm hacking at the JDownloader plugin to see if I can make it more generic, maybe adding support for other remote downloaders (Aria2C/MLDonkey/FDM/...), but I want to know if it is actually feasable so I'm just trying to make the UI first to learn my way around XBMC (never used python before).

Right now I have an "Add Server' category, which asks for a name and an action that calls a script to add it. The 'Remove Server' category has a list list of the added servers and a remove action, that removes it from the list. Also have a 'Edit Server' category which shows a list (spinner) of the servers and its properties (ip,port,user,password) that hide/show the settings as you change the spinner.

But the changes from add/remove takes some time to show, thats why i was thinking of a 'force reload' thing. Unless there's another option that I dont know (like I said, just started)

jmarshall Wrote:I'm trying to accertain exactly what the requirement is so I can think about how it could be best implemented. Having the script writer alter settings.xml is dodgy at best Wink

Yeah, I don't like it either, but is the only thing I could come up with. I wish there was a modifiable combobox-like control for settings. Smile
So, no ideas on how I can do this?
fawzib, did you ever find a solution to this?
(2012-08-30, 13:02)laxtrappa Wrote: fawzib, did you ever find a solution to this?

Nope, anyway I've moved on to Plex + Roku. Works very well.
Seems like you could add a fake setting that calls a script. That script closes the settings dialog and reopens it. Theoretically, it should open using the new xml

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a way to force reload of settings.xml (and other questions)0