XBMC performance with A5 based device?
I realize the iPad2 has not been jailbroken yet so its hard to gauge performance with the new A5 chip, but I was wondering if the developers could shed some light about potential performance.

Since the iPad2 is a dual core chip, would XBMC take advantage of the 2nd core? If so, would the addition of the 2nd core allow for the possibility to smoothly play HD content that is not .h264 encoded? I am basically wondering if the 2nd core would aid in video playback that make use of software rendering. This would also be beneficial if the refresh of the ATV2 is equipped with an A5 chip.
AVPlayerHD has been updated to support Ipad 2. There are reports that it can play 720p mkv files okay. It will be using software decode (non-accelerated) for these formats.

Might be worth downloading and seeing if it can play the files you are interested in. If it can play them, then it suggests that it is possible that XBMC could also play them. (May need work to support the second core).
It's all speculation until a JB exists and we can try it ourselves.
"I know that fusion powerplants haven't been invented yet. But can anyone comment on how much power they produce"

"I know that Warp Drive hasn't been invented yet, but can anyone comment on how fast you can really go"

Heck it was in your opening line "I realize the iPad2 has not been jailbroken". Full Stop. End of Thought.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:"I know that fusion powerplants haven't been invented yet. But can anyone comment on how much power they produce"

"I know that Warp Drive hasn't been invented yet, but can anyone comment on how fast you can really go"

Heck it was in your opening line "I realize the iPad2 has not been jailbroken". Full Stop. End of Thought.

A tad harsh perhaps. If you shell out $99 a year on the iOS Developer Program, I'm assuming you could compile and run XBMC on an iPad2? I may be wrong, but that's how assumed (and hoped) the Developer Program worked? Anyone able to confirm or deny? Happy to take abuse and derisory comments if my guess is wrong.
Fergus Wrote:A tad harsh perhaps. If you shell out $99 a year on the iOS Developer Program, I'm assuming you could compile and run XBMC on an iPad2? I may be wrong, but that's how assumed (and hoped) the Developer Program worked? Anyone able to confirm or deny? Happy to take abuse and derisory comments if my guess is wrong.

A little use of the search would show that there a few users trying this already. They can get xbmc running under xcode but not as an addhock deployed app. Why remains a mystery.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC performance with A5 based device?0