Video playback just stops
I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue for a while and decided to finally make a post. I have XBMC installed on 4 machines in my home and all of them seem to have the same issue. To simplify things I completely uninstalled XBMC on one of the machines and version 10.0.0.0 of XBMC (i tried 10.0.0.1 and earlier today the latest dev build and they had the same issue). My video library is pretty much 100% MKV files so this may or may not be confined to mkv files.

I seem to have this issue with more and more MKV files lately. It is important to note that it stops at the same spot each time for individual MKV files. Meaning MKV file X will always stop at 30 minutes and 22 seconds of playback and file Y will always stop at 22 minutes and 10 seconds of playback. It is also important to note that if I jump over the problem spot playback continues. It's almost as if XBMC or the video codec is just having a problem decoding a certain spot of the MKV. It wouldn't really be an issue if it were just one video but like I said it's happening on more and more MKV files. The paticular MKV I have been using to repro the issue is an episode of Tosh.0 (S02E15).

Debug Log info and link up on pastebin.com:

I turned on debug mode and shut down XBMC. I then re-launched XBMC and tried to play the MKV file starting 1 second before the problem spot and it went right back to the XBMC menu.

http://pastebin.com/fuJtJ2YN
I'd guess it's a problem in the video data. It looks as if the ffmpeg library is reporting an error. It would be an interesting experiment to take an mkv that reproducibly stops at the same point and run it through Handbrake or whatever to recode it. My guess is that the recoded video will play normally.

JR
I used to have a problem in 9.11 where videos would stop if the entire screen went white (i.e. if the video was actually playing a white screen, such as might be done for flashbacks etc). This occured at the same time in particular files, and like the OP I could skip past the white screen and it woud all be OK. This happened on multiple files spread over multiple series and, indeed, over different versions of handbrake being used to encode them.

I don't seem to get the same issue with 10.1 but then again I am also running new hardware (Asrock ION330 compared with a 2nd gen Intel mac mini)
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
The same thing has happened to me many times. I have certain files that play fine (mkv, mp4, avi, etc.) but there are still some files I have that will stop at the same point every time. Usually the ones that stop are HD files. I have yet to find a solution to get these to play fine.
DRai23 Wrote:The same thing has happened to me many times. I have certain files that play fine (mkv, mp4, avi, etc.) but there are still some files I have that will stop at the same point every time. Usually the ones that stop are HD files. I have yet to find a solution to get these to play fine.

Have you tried recoding them with Handrake or something similar?

JR
I'm having the same problem. For TRON legacy Gnomeo and Juliet and now Alien. Both are m2ts Blu-Ray rips using anydvdhd and Tmuxer. Never had this issue before Tron legacy though. They play fine but stop in that same place every time. If I play them with zoom player or TMT3 they play fine. For some reason I think the dvdplayer that XBMC is using is having a hard time with some files. Does anyone know of a fix?

I'm using Dharma 10.1 and Aeon MQ2.
iceman1973 Wrote:I'm having the same problem. For TRON legacy Gnomeo and Juliet and now Alien. Both are m2ts Blu-Ray rips using anydvdhd and Tmuxer. Never had this issue before Tron legacy though. They play fine but stop in that same place every time. If I play them with zoom player or TMT3 they play fine. For some reason I think the dvdplayer that XBMC is using is having a hard time with some files. Does anyone know of a fix?

I'm using Dharma 10.1 and Aeon MQ2.

what are the specs of your System, and Files (Definition, and Dimensions of video, and Codec)
claytonian Wrote:I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue for a while and decided to finally make a post. I have XBMC installed on 4 machines in my home and all of them seem to have the same issue. To simplify things I completely uninstalled XBMC on one of the machines and version 10.0.0.0 of XBMC (i tried 10.0.0.1 and earlier today the latest dev build and they had the same issue). My video library is pretty much 100% MKV files so this may or may not be confined to mkv files.

I seem to have this issue with more and more MKV files lately. It is important to note that it stops at the same spot each time for individual MKV files. Meaning MKV file X will always stop at 30 minutes and 22 seconds of playback and file Y will always stop at 22 minutes and 10 seconds of playback. It is also important to note that if I jump over the problem spot playback continues. It's almost as if XBMC or the video codec is just having a problem decoding a certain spot of the MKV. It wouldn't really be an issue if it were just one video but like I said it's happening on more and more MKV files. The paticular MKV I have been using to repro the issue is an episode of Tosh.0 (S02E15).

Debug Log info and link up on pastebin.com:

I turned on debug mode and shut down XBMC. I then re-launched XBMC and tried to play the MKV file starting 1 second before the problem spot and it went right back to the XBMC menu.

http://pastebin.com/fuJtJ2YN

I am having the exact same issue. Though its not happening on my system its happening on my sisters (exact same spec as my system). And its happening on my brothers and my GF's. They have it happen to them all the time. I haven't had it happen to me once in six months. I posted on here same as you but didn't get any advice that lead to a fix.

Very strange.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback just stops0