I raise the white flag
bobo1on1 Wrote:I don't want to criticize people's choices here but: ION systems are slow (compared to todays desktop machines), XBMC is a rather heavy application and 1080p is a very high resolution.

Combine those factors and you're running a corner case where a small loss in performance can have a big effect.

I agree, especially if you used higher standard cpu/gpu earlier, you won't be as satisfied as before.

But as always, it is also a compromise-thingy.
If you need more Power, the system will consume more Power. So Simple. Smile

Cheers
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
Quote:9.11 babylon didn't have hardware acceleration
It was available at least from 9.04 Babylon.
ubuntuf4n Wrote:I agree, especially if you used higher standard cpu/gpu earlier, you won't be as satisfied as before.

But as always, it is also a compromise-thingy.
If you need more Power, the system will consume more Power. So Simple. Smile

Cheers

Not a compromise with 2011 hardware. A core i3 2100T gobbles up as much power as an Atom/ION combo, does HD audio bitstreaming, 3D Blu Ray and has 5 times the CPU power the Atom has.

Atoms are 3 years old tech, outdated by far.....
SpectreX Wrote:Not a compromise with 2011 hardware. A core i3 2100T gobbles up as much power as an Atom/ION combo, does HD audio bitstreaming, 3D Blu Ray and has 5 times the CPU power the Atom has.

Does it do audio bitstreaming under Dharma XBMCLive?
But if a frame skips while the old atoms CPU is running on 10% utilization
1) Is the CPU the bottle neck
2) The GPU?
3) Problem with driver?
4) Problem with the media?

To be clear, I have no clue except that 1) sounds unlikely.
TugboatBill Wrote:Does it do audio bitstreaming under Dharma XBMCLive?

Bitstreaming, yes, but hardware decoding would be a problem, since XBMC Live isn`t compiled with VAAPI enabled. But i heard that OpenELEC is, at least for Intel.
The CPU itself can do the software decoding for even intense-high bitrate material (30Mbps or more), but from my experience the DXVA (Windows) and VDPAU/VAAPI decoders (Linux) output better PQ then the ffmpeg software decoder.
SpectreX Wrote:Not a compromise with 2011 hardware. A core i3 2100T gobbles up as much power as an Atom/ION combo, does HD audio bitstreaming, 3D Blu Ray and has 5 times the CPU power the Atom has.

Sure, it might be 5 times faster, but at least two times more expensive.
So two products with totally different price-ranges.

However, you found a point this mentioned i3 2100T is good with its 35w (there is also a i5 with 35w available as oem).
Beside that nothing special on the market, at least at the time of writing (in terms of power/consumption).

Cheers
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
vikjon0 Wrote:But if a frame skips while the old atoms CPU is running on 10% utilization
1) Is the CPU the bottle neck
2) The GPU?
3) Problem with driver?
4) Problem with the media?

To be clear, I have no clue except that 1) sounds unlikely.

Low cpu usage can still mean that the cpu is the bottleneck, or at least the slow cpu might cause the problem to show more severely.

The Atoms not doing the GFX and I cant see nVidia promoting 1080 playback on ION as a huge selling point without it being able to do it... you cant start binning hardware every year thats just daft... as well as expensive. XBMC lived on a 733mhz PIII for 6 years and still does in my home. The xbox branch still is light and nimble - it would be a real shame if the Atoms get the push as well because masses of code just gets lobbed at it.. Eek

I also remember a thread where people are trying video accelaration with the lowest spec hardware possible.. from memory even PIII machines with the 8 series nVidia cards were decoding HD not Tualatin even but real old stinkers!
vikjon0 Wrote:I think you need to remember that many of us is happy with the ION performance but perhaps for people with very high demands it is not always enough. Altough many of the unhappy people claims it worked perfect under version 9....

I claim 9.04 Live had a perfect 1080 playback on ION 330.

Further, I claim that 10.1 Live was never tested (throughly) on ION330.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I raise the white flag0