[HOW TO] Build Ambilight on Linux (AppleTV; Sams image; Ubuntu 8.04;...)
Chaos_666 Wrote:Hi there,

i am going to build one of those. Although i am no pro i am willing to learn.

Right now i am not sure which system to prefer. Amblone or Adalight

The Amblone Version seems cheaper to me (according to the parts needed here in germany), though it is not that much.
But if i understand the adalight right every led can have a different color and in the amblone version only the whole bar (containing the LEDs) can get one color.

Sorry, hard to explain in english Big Grin

Maybe it is clearer this way:
Concerning the amblone version:
If there are four channels (each side of the tv one), does that mean if the top left shines i.e. green the top right also has to shine green because they are one channel?
Do all channels have to be equally long, or is this not relevant?

Big thx for clearing and feel free to ask if this is not understandable.

Chaos

Four channel was my first one. now i have build the one based on adalight.
Here is tutorial:
http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/tutorial-...nd-arduino
ghart999 Wrote:So is this really only a linux XBMC option or does boblight work in Windows too?

The prefix is the biggest problem for windows because boblight for win is older and does not support custom prefix. But it is possible to build it also with windows one with some code change in .pde for arduino.
Hi there
illiac4 Wrote:Four channel was my first one. now i have build the one based on adalight.
Here is tutorial:
http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/tutorial-...nd-arduino

guess this means you also like the adalight more Big Grin

Parts are ordered.
THX for the guide

Chaos
(2011-12-01, 12:14)illiac4 Wrote: One is enough for 50leds.

is it possible to control > 50 LEDs with one "controller"? Or is there a fixed size to use?
thx
A comment on the startpost, I didn't manage to compile because configuring boblight was wrong. It says:

Code:
./configure --without-ffmpeg

But this is not needed for the new versions of boblight, ffmpeg is not included by default. Instead just this should do it:

Code:
./configure

(2012-04-02, 23:09)klemensl Wrote:
(2011-12-01, 12:14)illiac4 Wrote: One is enough for 50leds.

is it possible to control > 50 LEDs with one "controller"? Or is there a fixed size to use?
thx
You have to go pretty wild to have to need more than one controller. One can easily handle > 50. I've seen people using an UNO with 100.
I know this thread has been kind of slow/dormant for a while and understand that there may be one that is more up to date, but does anyone know what transistors this picture is using?

http://amblone.com/guide/graphic/martin1.jpg

Thanks for any information. I've been trying to use the transistor referenced in the first post, but am still finding it a little more difficult to solder them properly.
You can use this chip instead. Much less soldering.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid924930

BTW: i would suggest you to build ws2801 based ambilight. it is much easier to build and better.
Yeah, I saw that post and am in the process of getting a few. If I may bother you for two more questions:

1. How many of those chips do I need for three LED strips?
2. I already have the board mentioned in the beginning, will that hinder things?

Thanks for the information, very appreciated!
You will need two ULN2003A chips for three led stripes. check fritzing schema.
I do not know from where you are but i have one complete board to sell. Also arduino mega with connectors and everything because i am building now only on ws2801.
Hi guys,

I'm currently trawling through the various threads relating to this stuff and am feeling rather overwhelmed by the various methods used out there!

At present I have a working Amblone setup using the ULN2003A chips. I am trying to get this hardware to work in XBMC and am at a loss as to the best/easiest method to do this. Boblight seems to always go back to Linux...however I am using Windows7, and want to keep it that way.

Can someone point me in the right direction for the easiest way to get an amblone hardware solution working with 4 led strips, running XBMC Eden on Win7 please?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] Build Ambilight on Linux (AppleTV; Sams image; Ubuntu 8.04;...)1