Need Advice/Help
I have gathered a lot of useful information from the forum the past few months but it appears I am now at a small cross road.

I have a Windows 7 based machine sharing my media to my Apple TV as well as my iTunes to a few computers. The set up is this barebones kit plus a 2tb seagate.

This has been working awesome for all of my needs, however I am going to need an office computer for my photo editing and things of that nature. I am currently using my Macbook, however I use this for school and other tasks so I would like a dedicated computer for this photo hobby.

I am to get this case, unless their is a cheaper similar one out there, to replace the case I currently have. My question is what power supply should I get? I am not going to transfer the power supply from the old case to the new case.

thanks in advance.
For PSUs, if you're willing to spend the money, you can't go wrong with a Corsair.

That case is a little more ... flamboyant than I would choose. Personal preference though. I would advise against cheap cases, they make building a new rig more like a chore than something to be enjoyed.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
I agree with you on the case, i'm not a fan of the LED's, I just want something that can hold a lot of hard drives and has a lot of fans.

I'm fine spending some money since it is going to be powering a decent amount of drives, how many watts am I looking for? I am going to have a smaller 60-80gb hdd for the OS and then fill it with 2TB 7200rpm drives.
Depends how many hard drives you want. Up to 5 or 6 drives, you should be fine with something <500W. If you're wanting more drives, I would suggest a little more grunt; add around 30W per drive (20W if they're low power). It also depends on the other hardware in the system. Unfortunately speccing a PSU isn't an exact science; there are too many variables. Just don't try to save money by getting a 'value' PSU. You will pay for it in the long run!
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Advice/Help0