3D Gaming/XBMC rig questions
I am planning on getting the Acer 5360BD projector when it's released in the US. (For those who haven't heard, it's the first 720p 3D projector that's compatible with PS3 and bluray players out of the box - HDMI 1.4a)

For that I need to build an htpc capable of 3D playback, and I thought I might as well build one that is also capable of 3D gaming. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do prefer pc gaming over ps3 or xbox.

Now the challenge is, I need to build a machine that's neither too weak or too overkill, I don't want to spend a fortune. (Projector is gonna kill the bank already)

For graphics, I am thinking about a GTX460 ($110 w/ rebate). I saw some benchmarks where they tested it with Crysis 2 at highest settings and the average framerate was almost 40 at 1680x1050. I will only be outputting 720p. So it seems like it would have no problems with 2d.

But I have no idea how much more taxing it is for 3d playback. Would it end up being 20 frames per eye? Unfortunately I haven't found any benchmarks where they tested it with 3d.

As for the processor, I am thinking AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto. I hear most games are more GPU dependent and are optimized for single or dual core usage. So the fact that this is a dual core shouldn't be a problem, right? Worst case, the other two cores are unlockable on this.

Thanks in advance for your help
im not sure if you've read my startup guide Here!??
theres great build example in there to choose from,,
but i suggest you start building with these parts here:

[cpu] Intel Core I3-540 3.06GHz LGA-1156 Dual-Core 73W ($113 + $0)
[mobo] ASRock H55M-LE LGA-1156 Micro-ATX ($65 + $0)
[gpu] EVGA GTX460 1GB DDR3 256-bit ($115 + $0)
[case] nMEDIAPC 5000B Micro-ATX ($70 + $0)
[psu] Antec VP450 450W ATX12V ($41 + $0)
[ram] CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 CL7 ($45 + $0)
[ssd] OCZ Vertex-2 60GB 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:285MB/s Write:275MB/s ($90 + $0)
TOTAL: ($539)

Dont get me wrong, this build is extremely powerful!!
But thats what you need for running games like Crysis at high settings...
you'll be set for a long time with an HTPC like this,,,
it'll eat 1080P for Breakfest!!
it'll simply do it all!!
Rip Bluray, Encode Bluray --> You name it! --> it'll do!!
eskro, of course I read your guide Big Grin and poofy's as well

in fact I will be building your zacate recommendation for the bedroom

My main question for this gaming rig was mostly concerning 3D gaming. The build you just put together would no doubt be perfect for 2d gaming and 3d movies, but I honestly have no idea how much of a performance difference there is between 2d and 3d gaming.

PS. I DO like that case a lot
i think you shouldn't worry...
the GTX460 is a strong GPU card!!
you'll be well served!
Crysis 2 should run fine, because its engine doesn't actually render the whole screen twice for the 3D effect, but expect some other games that aren't as optimized to judder.
which 3D gaming card should he aim to?
For 720p gaming a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (about 250$) will do.
It get's about 41 FPS in Crysis Warhead in 2D mode at 1680x1050 and highest settings with 1xAA/1xAF.
If you disabled anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, you should get playable frame rates in 3D mode, though just barely.

But remember, Crysis Warhead is a very demanding game, so pretty much everything else out now - including Crysis 2 - should run buttery smooth, even in 3D.
Of course a GTX 570 or 580 would be even better and more future-proof, but these are expensive. And noisy! I definitely wouldn't want one of them in my HTPC.
OUCH! Expensive!!
Yeah, unfortunately. But maybe there are mail-in rebates or he could try to get a used card.

By the way, I'm totally against using a HTPC for serious PC gaming.
Current gaming hardware draws too much power, produces too much heat and noise and is too expensive. It's the exact opposite of HTPC hardware.
That said, I think two separate PCs is the way to go.
Thanks a lot guys.

560 ti is kind of expensive Confused Maybe I'll just use a PS3 for 3D gaming. I'll have to think about that.

Regarding the noise and power, this rig is going to be a secondary htpc with the main purpose of driving the 3D projector. It will be in the home theater room in a closet. So noise would not be an issue. Also it won't get too much use. (We will most likely use it when we have friends over or if we want to have a movie night, or watch a 3D movie, etc.) I think regularly we will be using the low-power htpc in the living room.

I realized I had to get a dedicated graphics card for the 3D anyway, so I thought I might as well spend a little more and shoot two birds with one stone. But I think with the cpu upgrade and the price difference in graphics cards, it might not be worth it.
How about moving from $539 to $376!??
Yes! you can change your build to save $163
and still have it do all the things you want!!
So your 3D Capable HTPC could look like this:

[mobo] GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 Micro-ATX ($60 + $0)
[cpu] AMD Athlon X2 3.0GHz Dual-Core AM3 65W ($61 + $0)
[gpu] ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile ($70 + $0)
[case] SILVERSTONE ML03B Micro-ATX ($60 + $0)
[psu] Antec EarthWatts 380W ATX12V ($40 + $0)
[ram] 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1066Mhz CL7 ($28 + $1)
[ssd] Kingston SSDNow 30GB 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:180MB/s Write:50MB/s ($56 + $0)
TOTAL: $376

This would be perfect for you!! it'll play anything!! and its Priced right!!
Yeah that fits the budget and makes more sense I guess

Thanks a lot guys
perfect build! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D Gaming/XBMC rig questions0