I need help with my first htpc project
If he wants to rip BluRays to HDD/NAS he's also going to need AnyDVD HD or DVDFab
But You can't use BluRay without special software. And that's part of "work properly".
You giving a lot of helpful tips here, and I just wanted to hint that You need special software for BluRay playback or ripping.
Thank you guys! Well I started putting it all together this afternoon and spend a considerable amount of time trying to deal with all the wires and stuff. Anyway everything seems to be working, the fans, the LED light, that little fan thingy (??) on the motherboard...but i can't get the bluray drive tray to open for more than a couple of seconds and there is nothing on my screen. The monitor is still on standbye mode. So what do you guys think I did wrong? Is my mobo dead? Could it be the RAM? I should probably mention that I went with this G.Skill RAM and the msi e350 (asrock e350 for my bro, same RAM). So who do you think is the culprit?
i dont think its the ram...
but, try to remove only i ram stick..
works?

does your bro's system acts the same?

sorry but i have ask,
is your tv set to the correct hdmi port?
i sometimes forget that i have to set my tv to hdmi2
to be able to see my htpc...

well your usind hdmi connection right??

PSU's CPU 4-pin power connector is connected on the motherboard?

are u able to press the power button on your case and see some lights?

sorry but i have ask,power cord is plugged from your PSU to your wall's electrical outlet?

tried to reset CMOS?
I haven't started on his yet. I returned the case cause it was slightly damaged. I'm only using one stick, the other one is for my brother. I switched sticks, still nothing. It's connected to an LCD monitor via VGA. I'll try hookin it up to my TV later using hdmi and see how it goes. Yes the 4-pin is connected but I have two of those on my PSU and only one on board. I'm gonna try connecting the other one later. The power button works and yes the LED switches on when I hit it. It's on a surge protector. CMOS? I dont know what that is.Blush
its to reset the bios settins...
check in your motherboards manual on how its done...
you should have a jumper just for that...

u did connect the 20+4 pin PSU power connector correctly?
So I found the CMOS, turned off the system and then did the reset. Still nothing. The fans still spinning, LED on and the bluray drive tray still wont stay open for more than a second. Huh
you found the CMOS jumper?
and removed it for a couple of minutes?

you tried connecting it to an HDMI HDTV??

and then you selected the correct HDMI input using your TV remote?

sorry but i just have to write everything i can think of...

what about your bro, it works for him and his MSI board?
How many watts in that power supply? Try booting with only the memory installed (no drives) and see if that at least gets you to post.

Might try resetting the power supply as well, I think you turn it on, then off, unplug it from the wall, then power on the PC. Fans, lights, etc will probably spin/flash for a fraction of a second. Then plug it back into the wall and try again. If you have another power supply laying around (or borrow the connections from your desktop to rule out the new powersupply.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to reset the CMOS again and if you can post, go into the BIOS and reset to failsafe settings.
@eskro Yes on the first three. I have the MSI, my brothers mobo (asrock) is somewhere in the US (i hope). Made a mistake of falling for the egg saver shipping.

@Kirky99 Hey! I have an antec psu. It's 380w. I tried everything you said, removed the drives and everything. I still can't get it to post. Unfortunately I dont have any other power supply laying around.
those PSU's are really really good,,,
i dont think its a PSU issue but a double-check is always welcome'd...

however, without me being there with u,
its hard to trouble shoot...

i hate to think about this but,
you might need to RMA the mobo..

sorry :/
eskro Wrote:i hate to think about this but,
you might need to RMA the mobo..

sorry :/
I'm actually doing the RMA on a DOA Gigabyte. I should have listened to myself and stuck with my old standby Asus. Actually, it's the same exact problem the OP is having. No post... these new MBs don't have speakers, so I was pulling out my hair. Finally I dug one out of my bag of tricks, and it says it's graphics card. Same msg with or without the 420 in there. Newegg has been great though.

Replacement Asus board is coming Monday...
never had problems with Gigabyte mobo's yet...
But hey, electronics will remain electronics..
you'll never know when you'll receive bad stuff..
no matter which brand.
Life s***
:/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I need help with my first htpc project0