Best Video Format
Yokozuna Wrote:Thanks T800. Worked a treat!

Cooksy, DVDFab is not free!

It's free if you use just want to use the rip feature
Wonder if I can join in this thread with a couple of questions, so not to start a new one please.

If ripping just the movie only from DVD - is there a difference in between it being a .iso or .mkv file for playback?

If ripping just the movie only from Blu-Ray - is there a difference in between it being a .iso or .mkv file for playback?

Should I be looking outside the square and not either of those file types for playback on Apple TV 1 & 2?

Thanks Smile
Anyone please?
ATV2 does not play .ISO files currently! .MKV is the new standard, quality and compatibility is excellent!

H.264 + MKV = WIN
chunkhead Wrote:ATV2 does not play .ISO files currently! .MKV is the new standard, quality and compatibility is excellent!

H.264 + MKV = WIN

Thanks chunkhead, appreciate that. When you say H.264 + MKV - not sure I understand what ya mean when I'm copying my own DVD's?

I am using MakeMKV as on Mac, but happy to use anything as long as it gives me the best copy of the DVD Movie.

Thanks again Smile
MakeMKV will give you a perfect copy of the main movie. It won't rip menus and extras. It won't compress the movie so it will be quite big but the quality will be identical to what it is on the disk.

MakeMKV is free for DVDs, and will cost money for BluRay. However, at the moment the program is technically still in beta, so they're giving away free temporary licenses for BluRay ripping on their forum, so all the functionality is free for the time being, and DVD will always be free.

Hope that helps.
Equium Duo Wrote:MakeMKV will give you a perfect copy of the main movie. It won't rip menus and extras. It won't compress the movie so it will be quite big but the quality will be identical to what it is on the disk.

MakeMKV is free for DVDs, and will cost money for BluRay. However, at the moment the program is technically still in beta, so they're giving away free temporary licenses for BluRay ripping on their forum, so all the functionality is free for the time being, and DVD will always be free.

Hope that helps.

That helps heaps thank you mate, appreciate it Smile
According to Avforums user thread (The new Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD Ripping Guide for Media Streamers), there seems to be a lot of issues during playback with MKV file created with MakeMKV. If you ask me what is the best file to maintain its original PQ/AQ, it's ISO (AnyDVD HD is the best in this department). If you want to encode it to smaller file, I am highly recommend these freeware (HandBrake and RipBot264) to encode it to m2ts file. m2ts is the next best thing to ISO, and HandBrake is the best of all freeware (in term of quality). DVDFab is the fastest and friendliest of all paidware (DVDFab BD Ripper). If you want to make the file smaller, you can use TSMuxer to remove un-wanted audio codecs and subtitle. If you want to know the exact audio condec in the file, you can verify it with MediaInfo.

For me, I use nothing but ISO and m2ts with DTS-HD and TrueHD if possible (AsRock)!
i recommend xvidenc or x264enc and play around with all the options.

here is my saved output for xvidenc (these are the settings i like but your tastes mite be different:
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat bin/xvidenc-ac3-mkv.ksh
#!/bin/bash
################### START OF COMMANDS ###################
dvd=`lsdvd $1 | head -n 1 | awk '{print tolower($3)}' | sed s/_/-/g`
#mkdir /home/xbmc/win/stuff/clips/$dvd
titles=`lsdvd $1 | grep ^Title: | cut -b 8-9 | tail -n 1`
i=1
while [ $i -le $titles ]
do

/usr/bin/mencoder "dvd://$i" -dvd-device $1 -o /dev/null -vc mpeg12 -vf pp=al:c,softskip,unsharp=l5x5:.25:c5x5:.25,harddup -aid 128 -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -a52drc 1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:turbo:me_quality=6:vhq=4:threads=2:max_bframes=2:bvhq=1:nopacked:quant_type=h263:noqpel:nogmc:trellis:nointerlacing:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:nolumi_mask:rc_reaction_delay_factor=0:rc_averaging_period=100:closed_gop:autoaspect -passlogfile "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.log"

/usr/bin/mencoder "dvd://$i" -dvd-device $1 -o "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`".avi -ffourcc XVID -vc mpeg12 -vf pp=al:c,softskip,unsharp=l5x5:.25:c5x5:.25,harddup -aid 128 -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -a52drc 1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=1500:me_quality=6:vhq=4:threads=2:max_bframes=2:bvhq=1:nopacked:quant_type=h263:noqpel:nogmc:trellis:nointerlacing:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:nolumi_mask:rc_reaction_delay_factor=0:rc_averaging_period=100:closed_gop:autoaspect -passlogfile "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.log"

sleep 2

/usr/bin/mkvmerge   --title "$dvd-$title-ac3" --track-name 0:"$dvd-$title-ac3" --language 1:en --track-name 1:"AC3 5.1" "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.avi"      -o "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.mkv"
sleep 2
rm "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.avi" "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.log"
i=`expr $i + 1`
done
#################### END OF COMMANDS ####################
(2019-11-27, 12:45)kkmin Wrote: Maybe you can try ..

What the heck are you doing reacting to an almost 9 year old topic...

If you registered just for advertising your software here, your stay at this forum will be a very short one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Video Format0