Which XBMC option is best for me?
I am a complete XBMC noob. I have installed XBMCFreak on my ION box. I am planning on switching to XBMC Live so I will be using the lastest, supported XBMC code. But now I'm wondering if I should instead use the full version of XBMC. Is there any benefit of using the full version versus the XBMC Live? My plan was to install XBMC on my SSD, so running on flash isn't a concern or necessity. If possible, I'd also like to install a BluRay ROM in my HTPC since I've sold my PS3. Does XBMC (in any flavor) support playback from a BluRay ROM?

I also have access to any flavor of Windows 7 (MSDN Subscription), is there any benefit of running XBMC on one platform over another? I initially chose XBMC for the fast boot to XBMC. But will going with a Windows platform give me Netflix functionality within XBMC? Or any other benefits?

Here is my hardware:
ASRock A330ION Intel Atom 330 PBGA437
4GB RAM
80 GB harddrive (soon upgrading to a 60GB SSD)
Hard wired with Cat5E to internet and Unraid server (media server)
LG Black 10X BD-ROM UH10LS20 (not currently installed in HTPC)
Logitech Harmony remote

Thanks for your time and patience!
For now, Blu-Ray playback under Linux (Live or otherwise) is pretty rubbish. It can be done, but only through various work-arounds.

If you went with a Win7 system, you would be able to play your Blu-Rays easily using another piece of software (PowerDVD I think does it, and I'm sure there are others).
I did some digging for an answer and according to what I've read so far in the forums there is no BluRay playback within XBMC regardless of platform. Is that correct?

It seems the best/only option is to rip the BluRay to iso or mkv and play that file. If that is what I have to do, that is acceptable. I already have AnyDVD-HD, so I'm ok with that extra step.

I assume that my best option then, for an XBMC appliance is to go with XBMC Live. Does anyone disagree with my conclusion?

Also, I initially opted for XBMCFreak since it is supposed to be optimized for ION hardware. Is there a good tutorial/guide for setting up XBMC Live for an ION box? I haven't found a definitive guide yet, but I'm still looking.

Thanks again!
I have seen YouTube videos of folk playing BDs from within XBMC, but I'm not entirely sure how they did it. However they managed it, I'm guessing it was running on a Windows platform.

I'm planning on installing XBMC on top of Ubuntu and chose not to buy a BD drive for now, due to the hassle with playback. You're right though, you could just rip the film to your server first if you wanted.
A work around on linux to look into would be using makemkv which can "stream" the files unencrypted to where ever. But yeah, even so probably won't get menus just the titles.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
What I did was modify the playercorefactory file to play blu ray's in an external player. Using this method, you can play blu ray iso's and disks. I did it using the full version of xbmc and windows 7. What happens is when you go to play a blu ray, it minimizes xbmc, auto launches your external player. When you are done, you can close the external player and it will maximize xbmc.
Total Media Theater 5 launched as an external player is you best working option. I use it from time to time and i love it.
This thread is a little old but it's worth reading through to see what will best suit your needs: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=72670

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which XBMC option is best for me?0