Why can't XBMC Live recognise Pronto codes?
Hi all,

I recently built the following:
  • Zotac ZBOX ND02
  • Corsair 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR3 1066MHz
  • Crucial SSD
I initially installed OpenELEC on the SSD and managed to configure HDMI menu sounds and 24p playback with no problems. The MAJOR stumbling block was getting my Philips Pronto TSU9400 to work. OpenELEC just would not see the commands.

I'm no stranger to Pronto programming but I am a complete beginner with Linux. Having had problems with OpenELEC I decided to just switch to the regular XBMC Live to see if that would fix my problem.

Unfortunately it didn't. I've read countless guides on how to get LIRC working but every time I follow them (to the letter!) I always end up with one error or another and don't have a clue how to continue.

I'm pretty sure I could just teach my Pronto the codes from the media centre remote that came with my IR receiver, but that just seems like such a cop-out when I could be using the 256 codes found here. I should note that I have applied those codes to 256 buttons on my Pronto so as far as the remote is concerned, it is good to go...

If these codes are on the XBMC Wiki, surely they must be built into current versions of XBMC?! I used to use the OBC codes in a custom keymap on my XBox XBMC and they worked without a problem.

Any pointers as to where I'm going wrong? Or is it simply a case of outdated information on the wiki, and those codes are no longer in use?

Any help would be really appreciated - I'm not getting anywhere on my own!
suggestion? Ask sraue the dev for openlec on his openelec post or email him at his website
Thanks but like I said, I've already switched to XBMC Live and am using that now, which is why I posted on this forum.

I did actually also post the question on the OpenELEC forum but I haven't had a response. I will try contacting sraue directly though. Thanks!
Hi,

not sure what you try to do but I have a Nevo SL running with LIRC and XBMC, before the Nevo I used a Pronto RU940.

Basically I had to setup LIRC and XBMC. Somewhere on the net I found a lircd.conf which had all possible RC5 codes. I selected two sets (RC5 System 27 and RC5 System 28) which to my knowledge aren't in use by any manufacturer. That gave me 254 possible buttons.

lircd.conf: http://pastebin.com/3AkaKEKk

There's no need to cut and paste hexcodes in Prontoedit or Prontoedit NG. You can enter them directly via the button properties (press "IR-Code", check "Custom IR-Code", press RC 5/6/MM). There use RC5 and enter 27 or 28 in "System" and a number from 1 to 127 in Command.

In combination with the lircd.conf file you should be able to use irw and verify that your remote works. On button press irw should write the name of the pressed button, for example: sys_1b_command_00

This is the first part. Now you need to make XBMC recognize the LIRC codes. For that you need to edit ~/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml and map the LIRC buttons to XBMC commands.

Lircmap.xml: http://pastebin.com/hUf3RaAY

The section for my Pronto is at the end of the file.

I hope this helps for starters

Chrissi
Thanks for your post chrissi323.

I've started with a fresh install of XBMC Live with no other modifications:
  • Used UNETBOOTIN to create a bootable USB stick using the XBMC Live 10.1 image.
  • Installed XBMC Live with user name "xbmc" and password "xbmc".
  • Logged into SSH terminal (PuTTy) using XBMC Live's IP address. Changed root password to "root" using the SSH command "sudo passwd root".
  • Using FileZilla (logging in as "root"), copied "lircd.conf" to "/etc/lirc".
  • Copied "lircmap.xml" to "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata".
  • Restarted XBMC from the GUI.
  • Opened an SSH terminal and ran "irw".
  • Pressed RC5-programmed button on Pronto. IR receiver lit up, so is definitely receiving the signal. Zero output from "irw".
Can you suggest anything I've done wrong here?
Hi,

I never used XBMC live. I have it running on Debian Testing but it shouldn't make a difference.

Quote:
  • Using FileZilla (logging in as "root"), copied "lircd.conf" to "/etc/lirc".

I assume that you restarted lircd aber copying the lircd.conf. What kind of receiver do you use? Mine is basically a homebrew receiver on the serial port. You have to configure lircd for your receiver....

NinjaMonkeyUK Wrote:
  • Copied "lircmap.xml" to "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata".
[/QUOTE

If you want to use my Lircmap.xml you have to use exactly my Buttons, I didn't use all 254 possible Buttons. I can email you a CCF which you can import in Prontoedit NG. Just send me your emailadress via PM.

[quote=NinjaMonkeyUK]
  • Restarted XBMC from the GUI.
  • Opened an SSH terminal and ran "irw".
  • Pressed RC5-programmed button on Pronto. IR receiver lit up, so is definitely receiving the signal. Zero output from "irw".
Can you suggest anything I've done wrong here?

Looks OK for me, aussuming that you IR receiver is supported by LIRC the only thing I can think of is, that your programmed button isn't RC5 system 27 or 28.

If you can't figure it out I can try to help directly, maybe we can use a Teamviewer session to figure it out.
chrissi323 Wrote:I assume that you restarted lircd aber copying the lircd.conf.

Erm... and how do I do that? I'm a complete Linux n00b, this is all double-Dutch to me...

chrissi323 Wrote:What kind of receiver do you use? Mine is basically a homebrew receiver on the serial port. You have to configure lircd for your receiver....

I'm using a generic USB receiver, IR605A/Q, but apparently someone else has the same one and it works for them. I just don't see why it has to be so hard to set up generic codes within XBMC Live / OpenELEC!

chrissi323 Wrote:If you want to use my Lircmap.xml you have to use exactly my Buttons, I didn't use all 254 possible Buttons. I can email you a CCF which you can import in Prontoedit NG. Just send me your emailadress via PM.

Ah, I'm not sure a Neo CCF will work as I'm using ProntoEdit Pro, but I'll PM you my e-mail address anyway...

chrissi323 Wrote:Looks OK for me, aussuming that you IR receiver is supported by LIRC the only thing I can think of is, that your programmed button isn't RC5 system 27 or 28.

I quickly programmed 15 buttons just to use as testers, all with system 27 and command 1, 2, etc up to 15.
It seems like your IR-receiver isn't recognized by lirc, else you would have some output from irw with a lircd config that works for someone else.
Found theese old threads that might be of some help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...%20remotes
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61960&page=2
OK, having followed this guide, I can now get IRW to show codes that are coming from the MCE remote that came with the IR receiver (looks exactly like the picture in that link), but still nothing from my Pronto...
Right, now we're getting somewhere!

As in my last post, I've managed to get IRW reading commands from my MCE remote, and now I've also managed to get it working with standard RC5 codes sent from my Pronto!

The only problem I'm having now is that codes that I map to OBC numbers always seem to be one digit out, so if I think I'm mapping to OBC2 I'm actually mapping to the next one on the list, but I'm sure I'll get that figured out soon enough.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I think after I'm finished with this, I'm going to write a guide for it - mainly to help jog my memory for future builds, but also to help others who haven't yet figured it all out.
Glad that you got it working!

I never used the OBC mapping. I found it much easier to use the Lircmap.xml and define my remote there. If you receiver works it should be very easy to build a config with the files that I posted on pastebin.

As far as I understand the OBC section is for preprogrammed remotes. The Prontos and Nevos offer much more flexibility. My understanding of the whole things is, that the OBC codes use Standard DVD/VCR codes, this could interfere with other equipment. I think using RC5 system 27 avoids that.

However if you figure it out I'm very interested in your guide, there is always room for improvements Big Grin
obc are used for your own remote mappings but they are a pain for basic config.
Configure lircmap.xml to match the commands sent by lirc or you can config lirc to send the commands the lircmap.xml is expecting
Up to you.

Use OBC codes to add extra buttons that dont exist in the default configuration.
Define the <OBC1> 2 3 4 etc in lircmap then define its action in remote.xml
OK so here's some further progress...

I am able to map pretty much any command within XBMC to my Pronto. Using OBC codes opens up a whole new world of options and I knew it would be worth the hassle!

The guide may take a while, as I started doing it as a quick intro to getting LIRC and XBMC working with a Philips Pronto, but it will be turned into a full setup guide for the Zotac ND02 (my HTPC system).

I want to make myself a guide so that I can refer to it in future (when new releases of XBMC come out), and figure I might as well also add the following:
  • XBMC installation
  • LIRC setup (including adding unknown IR receivers)
  • Writing a working "Lircmap.xml"
  • Writing a complementary "Remote.xml"
  • How to configure in ProntoEdit Pro
  • Zotac ND02 wireless adapter setup
  • Configure XBMC for 24p playback
  • HDMI menu sound configuration
  • Switching between HDMI and S/PDIF on the fly
  • Anything else I can think of
So, as you can see, this will be a big guide - more like a manual - but that's ok as I write manuals at work anyway!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why can't XBMC Live recognise Pronto codes?0