[Linux] IR-receiver that works out-of-the-box
What is the best (USB based) IR receiver that works out-of-the-box in Linux? I want to use it with my X360 universal remote and maybe one day a Harmony to control XBMC with.

It should be supported by the built-in kernel modules. I don't want to mess with DKMS (unless it's in APT, like nvidia) and certainly not with 100% proprietary drivers, because of the hassle and the risk of breakages on kernel updates.

By the way, it is also important that is available in or ships to The Netherlands Smile. Any help would be highly appreciated!
all i can say is. under Linux,
Use only HP IR receivers (P/N: 5188-1667) with Logitech Harmonies!
eskro Wrote:all i can say is. under Linux,
Use only HP IR receivers (P/N: 5188-1667) with Logitech Harmonies!
Thanks, bought one on EBay and it works perfectly Smile.

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver

P/N 5188-1667
sweet!!
OP has already solved issue, but for others with the same question you should investigate FLIRC. It's a USB dongle with a IR receiver. It emulates a keyboard, and uses the IR sort of like a "learning remote" so it should work with any remote control. The keyboard emulation is the most important part - that means no messing with LIRC. If you hate LIRC, then FLIRC might be a good fit for you!
flirc seemed a good option to me!
true, i've been hearing good things about FLiRC.TV IR Receiver!!
Flirc seems kind of obsolete to me. With a recent kernel every Linux-compatible IR receiver is able to emulate a keyboard. Even my HP receiver. Currently I can do the following:

- Map any button on my remote to virtually any key on my keyboard.
- Buttons on my remote remote can be multi-functional, which is very useful, since obviously there are more keys on my keyboard than there are buttons on my remote. E.g. I have a a button with which I can access the context menu while browsing ("C" on the keyboard) and while playing a movie that same button can display the codec info ("O" on the keyboard). I copied this particular behaviour from the official Android remote app, should you be wondering about the similarities.
- I can do this without having lirc installed.
- I could also emulate LIRC using the generic Linux input layer. It worked at some point, but I broke it somehow and can't get it to work anymore. Not that I need it at all though. Last I heard is that the in-kernel drivers in conjunction with the input device emulation is supposed to replace lirc completely.

Maybe I'll write a guide about it this week.
flirc is obsolete? I don't think so. Why?

Works with ANY remote
Easy to configure
Once configured, you can plug-in flirc in any computer without configuring anything again
Price: cheap for what you get

Lirc is a pain... and even more painful is finding something that works trouble free with it. Flirc seems to make it easy.
The 'new' way of doing things is in-kernel, without LIRC. Like I said, I do NOT have to care about lirc. I don't even have it installed. It works with all existing compatible IR receivers and all remotes.

Maybe I should rephrase, for the sake of clarity. LIRC is becoming obsolete, therefore all solutions to work around, mitigate or solve problems regarding LIRC are also becoming obsolete.

Having said that, after taking a closer look it would seem that flirc has merit on its own, in particular the learning part. But the "emulating a keyboard" part is definitely becoming obsolete.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:flirc is obsolete? I don't think so. Why?

Works with ANY remote
Easy to configure
Once configured, you can plug-in flirc in any computer without configuring anything again
Price: cheap for what you get

Lirc is a pain... and even more painful is finding something that works trouble free with it. Flirc seems to make it easy.

... if you have windows, snow leopard or ubuntu...

whats with the rest? why only ubuntu? why no sources? why based on QT? whats with support for different architectures like ARM/PPC/MIPS? for me its "obsolete" too...
greetings, Stephan

[quote=LB06]The 'new' way of doing things is in-kernel, without LIRC. Like I said, I do NOT have to care about lirc. I don't even have it installed. It works with all existing compatible IR receivers and all remotes.

Can you provide a link or some information about this way of getting an IR receiver emulating a keyboard? My brief google searches didn't reveal anything relevant.
rcoltrane Wrote:Can you provide a link or some information about this way of getting an IR receiver emulating a keyboard? My brief google searches didn't reveal anything relevant.
Well I can point you to my guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104541 Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] IR-receiver that works out-of-the-box0