High CPU usage in menu
Is there any way to resolve XBMC using around 1/3 of my CPU when it is doing nothing and sitting at the menu screen on my black macbook? Turning vsync on helps but not much.

Tried searching but couldn't find anything.
Urgh, this topic again.

XBMC is not a static application, i.e. when it seems it is doing nothing - it is constantly rendering the screen hence the CPU usage.

Black macbooks - likely dual core, i think probably it is using 1/3 of one core (so 1/6). Does you activity monitor go up to 200% on max cpu - if so look at what XBMC is using (out of 200%).

There has been talk about it that I can remember:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97205

Really what you've got to ask yourself is: Is there anything wrong with XBMC using 1/3 processor when doing nothing (what else is your computer doing)?

If you're not doing anything else, or not using a CPU intensive app then there should be no problem at all.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
I wouldn't mind if it used 100% of the CPU if it wasn't for the fact that the fans kick in at anything above about 15% and render a "silent" machine less so. It also seemed odd that it uses more CPU power than the version on my old Xbox (also using Confluence @ 720p) which I why I thought it might've been a bug.

Presumably there's no way of putting a "sleep" delay into the menu render if there's no input/output being processed? A "don't redraw if nothing has changed"?

If it can't be fixed, then fine, was just wondering if it was a known "bug" or a "feature". If it was non-trivial then no doubt someone who knows how it all works (I don't know C++ so I can't contribute) would've already sorted it, so there's obviously more to it than I think.
http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2010/05/24/beagle...gsoc-2010/

Set the screensaver to black (trick I learned when I was using an AppleTV1) CPU goes from 30% to 2-3%.
Is there an option to limit fps (frames per second) of the menu interface? On MacBookPro with HD3000 graphics cpu temperature goes to 80°C and fan to 7000rpm, when surfing menus and not while watching videos.
It's probably not going to help the temperature (as mac laptops generally run hot) also your menu wouldn't feel as good.

A simpler option may be to switch to a less complex skin.

pseudo7 Wrote:It's probably not going to help the temperature (as mac laptops generally run hot) also your menu wouldn't feel as good.

A simpler option may be to switch to a less complex skin.

Which skin is less complex than Confluence?
I think confluence isn't particularly heavy so I doesn't look like it would make a difference.

Other than the fan sound annoying you when you browse through menus for an extended amount of time it doesn't seem like an issue, I know I don't spend huge amounts of time in the menus (because I use xbmc to watch videos).

If the cpu usage in menus really bugs you (for some reason) then perhaps XBMC isn't the solution for you, pretty menus/graphics have to come at a (extremely) small cost.

Is not possible at all, to limit gui at 30fps? Now (activating debug mode) it runs at 60fps, i think limiting it at 1/2 fps should reduce gpu heat.
The following helped me bring my macbook XBMC CPU usage from 35% os so to 10% or so and no annoying fan sound while idling.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Dirty_Regions

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High CPU usage in menu0