Bit perfect Audio in XBMC
Hi,

Quote:I am following some of these threads with amusement Smile There is a great deal of misinformation, mis-use of terms and just plain speculation in most of the posts.

yes, there is a lot of misinformation and speculation out there.

to be honest, i´ve no idea how AE works internally and if we get a bitperfect output, but i´ve expirienced the following (with openelec 2.95.4):

- 24/192 2Ch Flac plays with little dropouts
- 16/44.1 HDCD Flacs lose the HDCD Flag periocally (everytime at the same position, changing the db setting in Volumegain influents that behavior, but there´s no setting that would work)
- the overall audio performance ist behind my oppo 95 (richer, clearer sound)

the described behavior is with HDMI and SPDIf out identical (analog outs not testet).

i´ve opened a ticket ('13639) with a full debug log, please let me know if you need something else.

Quote:PS - my private builds now play SACD
wow, that´s good news.

Cheers

rat666
HTPC (AMD X4 620, Geforce GT 520, Tevii 470, Antec Fusion Case with Imon LCD) with Openelec Gotham Nightlies
Raspberry Pi with Openelec Nightlies for Testing

Anything other than 100% volume is going to kill the HDCD flag for sure. Haven't tried one here, but I'll rip one (got some Neil Young discs in HDCD) and test.

No issues here with 24/192 FLAC - has your system got enough ponies?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
@rat666 - no issues here on 24/192 FLAC, either. Nor on 176.4 or 88.2 SACDs ripped to stereo or multichannel FLAC, except for the problem reported in #12 above when I'm skipping from track to track. Normal sequential playing of tracks is fine, either on HDMI or S/PDIF - no dropouts.

@DDDamian - do you need me to raise a ticket for the problem with the OpenSink code or are you going to tackle the fix in due course? Good news about the SACD support (I assume you are referring to DSD streaming?). If that makes it into the nightly builds eventually it will appear on openelec.
Odroid N2+ and Venz V10Pro (S905X), Sony DN1080 AVR, Samsung 49" LCD, Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers
Hi,

(2012-12-09, 18:21)DDDamian Wrote: Anything other than 100% volume is going to kill the HDCD flag for sure. Haven't tried one here, but I'll rip one (got some Neil Young discs in HDCD) and test.

No issues here with 24/192 FLAC - has your system got enough ponies?

Volume is at 100%, ReplayGain is at 89db, is there something else i can try?

i use a AMD Athlon x4 620 (4x2,6GHz) and a Geforce GT 520, i think the system should be fast enough Big Grin

maybe i should check my flac files.

Cheers

rat666
HTPC (AMD X4 620, Geforce GT 520, Tevii 470, Antec Fusion Case with Imon LCD) with Openelec Gotham Nightlies

If you are going for bit perfect, RG should not be used (RG is just a form of amplification after all).

However I also had audio dropouts with videos where audio decoding was done by XBMC (some pure xvid + mp3). Increasing the default windows buffer solved this so far. I am now using a 250 ms buffer, probably a smaller one would also suffice, but I prefer to be on the safe side. My HW should be more than enough to handle this decoding (Pentium E5200 @ 3 GHz + HD 6570).
RG volume adj is off, but you can set the db for preamp level for rg and non rg files, both are set to 89db in my case.

heres a screenshot i´ve found: Image

i think that only a complete bypass for RG (and maybe vor Volume) will solve that issue

@rat666 - is that screenshot what you're actually using?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
@a11599 - nice to see you back Smile p.s. is this related to your dropouts? I don't get them on my rig.... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/1911

@fat-tony - naw - that one's in my sights - if it hits my rig it's personal Smile
Could be, but as the buffer increase solved the issue I have not bothered to look for the root cause. Smile And interestingly the issue did not surface with bitstreaming. Also I have not seen video stutter, but my HTPC has a bit more power than the ARMv7. Wink

50 ms seems to me a bit tight. Perhaps 100 ms default would be better and would still not affect seeking performance that badly.
@a11599 - IIRC I changed the default to 150ms ,but there is an as.xml setting to change that
Looks like it is still 50 msec by default:
AdvancedSettings.cpp
Hmmm right you are - I thought I'd bumped that. 150msec is pretty bullet-proof and should be the default - will bump. Cheers for that.
(2012-12-10, 08:13)DDDamian Wrote: @rat666 - is that screenshot what you're actually using?

No, it´s just a screenshot i´ve found.
my settings are:

Play next song automatically: off
Queue songs on selection: off
replaygain volume adjustments: off
preamp level rg Files: 89 db
preamp level non rg Files: 89 db
avoid clipping: off
crossfade: off
visualisation: off

I've been having problems with bit-perfect playback recently and I think its down to Windows 7, I've got an outboard DAC which has a HDCD indicator on it which is a great indicator of bit-perfectness. XBMC, whilst playing is giving me the appropriate sample rate but its not bit perfect, In fact I've only managed bit perfect-ness by using Foobar with the ASIO output (which I can't find for XBMC)

This all used to work with Eden but I don't think the problems are all down to XBMC as other software also seems to be affected.

I may end up switching to Linux, but last time I tried the sound support was patchy for my RME soundcard,

If anyone's got tips for enabling ASIO in XBMC or another method of getting bit perfect output I'd appreciate it

Cheers
Simon
i have the same problem with HDCD Files with XBMC on Linux (openelec).
So switching to linux won´t solve your problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bit perfect Audio in XBMC2