[WINDOWS] HOW-TO Enable audio through HDMI out on Windows Vista/7
Star 
So... When I first hooked up my HDTV to my htpc running XBMC (using an HDMI cable), I noticed that I didn't have any sound. It took me a while to actually find the solution, and it wasn't on this forum, so I decided to make a quick guide in case anyone else runs into that problem and doesn't know how to fix it.

Click Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound> Sound

Under the playback tab, find your GPU's HDMI out on the list.
(ex. I am using a ATI Radeon HD 5870, and it showed up as "AMD HDMI Output) Note: If your using optical, there will be an option for that on the list as well

Right click on the device, and select "Set as Default Device"

And your done! You should have audio on your TV or A/V receiver.Big Grin

Question If anyone knows how to allow sound to travel through HDMI AND through regular computer speakers, please tell me how. Thanks!!
Heav1n Wrote:Question If anyone knows how to allow sound to travel through HDMI AND through regular computer speakers, please tell me how. Thanks!!

check this thread :-)

Cheers,
EG.
So basically what I got from that is the need for a second sound card? Is that right? I'm currently using onboard audio for my 2.1 speakers and 7.1 out through my gpu for my home theater, but I have to switch back and forth.
Heav1n Wrote:So basically what I got from that is the need for a second sound card? Is that right? I'm currently using onboard audio for my 2.1 speakers and 7.1 out through my gpu for my home theater, but I have to switch back and forth.

What exactly do you want to achieve?

The link I posted will let XBMC use your onboard sound device to output from two different sources at one time. I use it to output from HDMI AND OPTICAL at the same time where as without this patch you will have to switch between different outputs!

But if you mean you want one output dedicated to XBMC and the other dedicated to your Windows general PC usage sound output then this is something else and you might need dual sound cards for this purpose.

Cheers,
EG.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO Enable audio through HDMI out on Windows Vista/70