Sugesstions for new HTPC
Hi, I currently have a Zotac ID11 HTPC, I'm considering giving this to my friend though since even though I've had an overall good experience with the Zotac it isn't quite up to par with what I use it for.

The main problem is that i subscribe to ESPNPlayers HD streams, they use some kind of flash platform to play the sports games and the Zotac just can't keep up with the video playback. Even not running at 3000kbps stream it drops alot of frames and the stream stutters.

I also wouldn't complain about some snappier response times in windows and Ubuntu Desktop (both sluggish on the Atom D510)

I'm looking around for suggestions about what the next step up could be but I thought I'd ask the experts here about your opinion on what machine could handle a Flash HD Video (300kbps) stream without dying (Obviously the VPDAU support in Flash 10.3 is either premature or just plain bullshit considering the real world performance of the ION2+Flash10.3)

I've been looking at an E-350 platform, though I'm not enthusiastic about being locked in Windows (even though if windows was fast it'd be ok maybe),

also been looking at the ASRock 100HT (Also windows, though I'm confident that it's fast enough) Here I'm concerned with sound issues as well though, since HW accelerated decoding seems to be a bunch of bricks you'd have to go with Software decode.. also heard that the i3 330M wasn't fast enough for all 1080p decode so I'm wondering if the 370M is.

Any other suggestions or cheap and power efficient home builds are interesting. a plus is if they come with a remote and/or keyboard/mouse
cheapest but pretty darn good pre-built HTPC is the ZBOX ND22!

HTPC: Zotac ZBOX ZBOXHD-ND22-U ($239 + $18 Shipping)
RAM: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 204-Pin DDR3 1066Mhz CL7 ($27 + $1 Shipping)
SSD: Corsair Force 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:280MB/s Write:270MB/s ($100 + $0 Shipping)

TOTAL --> [b]$385 Shipped!![/b]

uses CELERON cpu and Streaming Hi-Def is a piece of cake, no worries!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sugesstions for new HTPC0