Playing a disc via XBMC
First post here so please be gentle, and apologies if it's in the wrong section etc.

I've just got my first HTPC and have installed XBMC on it. Currently using the Aeon Nox skin which so far looks awesome. Although most of my films are ripped to files on my external HDD, I have a few films which I don't want to rip. What I'd like to do is play them from the disc (bluray and HD-DVD) via XBMC.

I have a copy of TMT3 which I can use to do this, so actually playing them isn't a problem. I've also written a couple of batch files and a playercorefactory.xml file which can be used to execute an external player (TMT3) and play the discs.

However, the one thing I can't work out is how to switch on the 'Play Disc' button on the Home menu! I've found where to show/hide the various other options such as Video, Movies, TV Shows etc, but can't see an option to show the 'Play Disc' button. Am I being stupid or am I missing something? HuhLaugh
I don't have the answer to you question exactly, but are you aware that you can set XBMC to automatically play discs when you put them in the drive? Maybe this isn't what you want exactly but just in case you didnt know about this setting.
Mindzai Wrote:I don't have the answer to you question exactly, but are you aware that you can set XBMC to automatically play discs when you put them in the drive? Maybe this isn't what you want exactly but just in case you didnt know about this setting.

Yeah I did see that option, thanks. Big Grin I believe (although I might be wrong) that only applies to DVD discs and not blurays/HD-DVD's? From what I've read to play a bluray or HD-DVD via XBMC you have to use an external player such as TMT3 (although there is the option to use MakeMKV which scans the disc first and plays it from within XBMC, but then I believe you only get the core DD/DTS soundtrack rather than the HD audio one?). You then set up a script which when a certain disc type is found launches the external player, hence the need to have the 'Play Disc' option available on the home screen. But I can't find for the life of me where to switch the blinkin' thing on! Laugh
I think the problem is this, I (and I think every other skin also) use this to hide/show the play disc menu item:
Code:
System.HasMediadvd
This returns true if there is a CD or DVD in the DVD-ROM drive.
So I guess Bluray disc is not supported in XBMC to show the playdisc item. You could delete the visibility code for that in Home.xml (in 720p folder), but then there will always be that menu item, regardless if there's a disc in it or not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing a disc via XBMC0