[ATV2] Play 1080p without buffering XBMC vs Media Player vs Plex (with Time Capsule)
Paraffin Wrote:The answer is to stay away from Apple products and get a machine capable of handling 1080p content with Gigabit NIC.. ATV is just not ready for the power XBMC....

I might just have to return the Apple TV or move it to my living room where i have my stereo system for parties. Airplay with itunes sharing makes it great for parties.
I had to send my ATV back because there were to many compromises and I got a Revo 3700 instead which I am 100% happy with.

I think the the next ATV will be the one if its ever going to place nice with XBMC.
Hi Guys, I'd just like to add that ditching the SMB in favour of an FTP server (oddly enough) fixed my 1080 issues.

before I wasn't able to play them at all. I would start the file, and it was stutter beyond repair right away. now the movie plays and the sound is in sync.

mind you, I do still slight buffer issues.. but they're minimal and don't make the movie unwatchable.

big of background on my setup.

14TB Windows Homeserver (old school AMD X2 4200+, with 2G of DDR1)
wired to D-Link DIR-655 Router
wired to my ATV2 (4.2.1)

now using FilleZilla FTP server installed on the WHS.
it's just like to add, that I built a similar setup for my parents.

ATV2 wired to D-Link DIR-655 Router (same as mine)
and then wired to Windows 7 box (newer amd dual core, 4G ram)

they are having buffering issues that make movies and TV shows UN watchable even with 720p Files.

those same MKV work fine at my house, but not at theirs.

they're on 4.3.3
I'm still on 4.2.1

only different I can see here is the movies playing from a Windows 7 box instead of a dedicated WHS box (which shouldn't matter. but obviously it does)

I will try the FTP solution at there house, and report back.

thanks for the tip!
who would of thought and FTP Server would solve my buffering issues.
For the Windows 7 streaming issues have you tried disabling TCP Auto Tuning

http://www.mydigitallife.info/disable-tc...-in-vista/
no I haven't.

I just RDPed in their box, and disabled the autotune.
I'll see if that fixes the issues.

funny how MS's attempt at making network bandwidth better.. backfires on them.
also, my router can add a WISH list, should I add SMB ports ? (UDP/TCP)
would i see any benefits from it ?
Daniel-san Wrote:it's just like to add, that I built a similar setup for my parents.

ATV2 wired to D-Link DIR-655 Router (same as mine)
and then wired to Windows 7 box (newer amd dual core, 4G ram)

they are having buffering issues that make movies and TV shows UN watchable even with 720p Files.

those same MKV work fine at my house, but not at theirs.

they're on 4.3.3
I'm still on 4.2.1

only different I can see here is the movies playing from a Windows 7 box instead of a dedicated WHS box (which shouldn't matter. but obviously it does)

I will try the FTP solution at there house, and report back.

thanks for the tip!
who would of thought and FTP Server would solve my buffering issues.

I didn't even know which firmware mine shipped with since i updated right away Sad do you think it matters?
Paraffin Wrote:For the Windows 7 streaming issues have you tried disabling TCP Auto Tuning

http://www.mydigitallife.info/disable-tc...-in-vista/

on my parent's Windows 7 box, I disabled the auto-tuning like suggested.
it did NOT fix the stuttering issue with 720p movies.

I then installed FilleZilla with high hopes; and still the stuttering issue persist.
i did how ever notice that the 1080p file now play, but with buffering issues, before the 1080p files would implode on the first frame.

so I now suspect the operating system the files reside on. who would of thunk it. I'll will continue trouble shooting and will report back.
ranmandx Wrote:I didn't even know which firmware mine shipped with since i updated right away Sad do you think it matters?

I don't know, I haven't done much research on that, I assume that it doesn't. and I hope that it doesn't because i'm about to update the firmware on my box very soon as I want the new airplay features to work in my living room Big Grin
Quote:Originally Posted by jd2157
Thanks for the core dump Tongue Sounds very promising.

Assuming the rumors come true, Apple can consider this my pre-order for an iOS-based TC and a dual core ATV.

6corewhore Wrote:Got pretty much a 99% certainty just a sec ago that this should be released around September, with an announcement around August. The only factor my friend Jackee couldn't confirm was the size of the SSD in the net Apple TV. Currently it's 8, but with 1080P streaming support it would make sense to bump it to 16 or more. Time will tell. Bookmark this comment and if I'm wrong, I'll get you a new Mac Pro Wink

What's Jackee think about the news on the AE/TC today? Seems strange to update the storage in them only to give them a full overhaul /w iOS and A4/A5 within a few months.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/appl...tb-models/
jd2157 Wrote:What's Jackee think about the news on the AE/TC today? Seems strange to update the storage in them only to give them a full overhaul /w iOS and A4/A5 within a few months.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/appl...tb-models/

Wait for the tear down once their in hands. Software updates will push out caching and iOS backups. I've been using iOS 5 and iCloud for a while and there is a lot of mention regarding caching updates to AEBS/TC's. Smile

UPDATE: In iOS 5 you can now setup AEBS/TC's right from your iDevice, and the hardware has yet to be torn down by iFixIt but from what I know this will run a variation of iOS for caching updates for both OS X and iOS devices as well as improved antennae (AEBS supposedly has 6 compared to 3), and faster backups and bandwidth that supposedly will improve streaming for the next AppleTV that is rumored to support 1080P. Further, these may not be the one's officially released as ThunderBolt ports and other hardware tweaks are in the works, Apple may be waiting for the A5 chip production to ramp up after the fire in the plant. Time will tell.
Definitely anxious to see a teardown. So far ya there's been good evidence that update caching is imminent and being able to config an AE/TC from iOS5 is a done deal but all that could still be done without the AE/TC running iOS on an A4/A5 chip.

Someone on macrumors was speculating that Apple could've run out of AE/TCs so had to do something short term... but they likely wouldn't update the antennae at the same time.

Good ol Apple always screwin with us. I'm a big fan of the products but man that company is irritating sometimes.
jd2157 Wrote:Definitely anxious to see a teardown. So far ya there's been good evidence that update caching is imminent and being able to config an AE/TC from iOS5 is a done deal but all that could still be done without the AE/TC running iOS on an A4/A5 chip.

Someone on macrumors was speculating that Apple could've run out of AE/TCs so had to do something short term... but they likely wouldn't update the antennae at the same time.

Good ol Apple always screwin with us. I'm a big fan of the products but man that company is irritating sometimes.

Yup, I used to work for Apple in Cupertino, and Jobs and Ive are high on keeping things under wraps.

I do want an improved Apple TV, period. 256 RAM with a weak processor is inexcusable. Coupled with their closed ecosystem to make everything "just work" for Joesumer's which means you guys and us have to crack it open to get it pushed to its full potential is ridiculous. I really want this improvement more than anything as I don't want a big HTPC stuck in my entertainment system with a full OS. Time will tell.

aaaaand end rant Smile
Ok, so guess what.

Yesterday, I updated to beta 6 of atv flash black and used their media player for the first time after their beta 2 conflicts with xbmc.

I played my infamous 16 gig mkv file and.....no buffering. Seeking and start time was also quite quick. First time I have achieved this, although I must mention that the progression of xbmc builds has improved this issue as well. Doesn't mean I'm jumping off xbmc, just wanted to make a point of note.

Reminder of my setup.

ATV2 build 4.2.2/8f305 Seasonpassed, running Rapier beta 2 skin.
SMB shares via Imac (part wifi/part ethernet). Router Airport extreme (dual band)
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Play 1080p without buffering XBMC vs Media Player vs Plex (with Time Capsule)0