Aeon MQ2 on an 330 Atom/Ion - The Movie
eskro Wrote:@claypigeon:
OpenELEC doesnt sit on a Full Blown Linux OS...
You cant just quit OpenELEC and example
see a Linux Desktop where you can then Browse the Internet using Firefox or Chrome!

Perhaps you need to understand what an OS actual is and does, not knowing this is understandable, it technical and somewhat arcane, if you don't have the background or formal education in say computer science for example. None of those things you listed are really part of an operating system they are applications components that utilize the OS. What I think you are referring to is more of a marketing definition of what an OS is based on packaging of components, per your examples, gnome (linux desktop), firefox and chrome are all applications and have nothing to with the capabilities of an operating system, they in fact utilize the capabilities of the underlying OS. The derivative of linux that openelec is using is as much of true OS as is say the current distribution of Ubuntu is, but the packaging is different, meaning that Ubuntu has been packaged for more general purpose tasks like you outlined, and the linux utilized in the openelec distribution has been packaged into what is commonly called an embedded form, to optimize a focused set of functionality. In the example of openelec, if one has no need for the application you listed why would one want them utilizing resources, if functionality is not needed in the kernel, why include that functionality? I dont think anyone, or at least I never have, made any claims that the linux used in the openelec distribution being used for other off the shelf applications.

So if your point is openelec may have less process competing with system resources then a general purpose distribution of an OS,that is likely a true statement. It would also be likely true to then assume, if system resources are constrained in that environment, this can have an impact to application performance. All of this is irrelevant, as what I was demonstrating in my original post was MQ2 running in a Atom/ION environment to be used as an example of if it is "struggling" or not. Which I will let the observer of the video determine on their own, based on their own perspective. My opinion is, based on the configuration I documented, it works well based on my expectations. I am sure I can build a configuration that it would not work well in too. Please feel free to post your own video showing a configuration that concerns you, so you can demonstrate your point, with out such data your statement are purely conjecture.
i dont need to...
what i've said in post number 15 is enough..
and clear...
claypigeon Wrote:Perhaps you need to understand what an OS actual is and does, not knowing this is understandable, it technical and somewhat arcane, if you don't have the background or formal education in say computer science for example. None of those things you listed are really part of an operating system they are applications components that utilize the OS. What I think you are referring to is more of a marketing definition of what an OS is based on packaging of components, per your examples, gnome (linux desktop), firefox and chrome are all applications and have nothing to with the capabilities of an operating system, they in fact utilize the capabilities of the underlying OS. The derivative of linux that openelec is using is as much of true OS as is say the current distribution of Ubuntu is, but the packaging is different, meaning that Ubuntu has been packaged for more general purpose tasks like you outlined, and the linux utilized in the openelec distribution has been packaged into what is commonly called an embedded form, to optimize a focused set of functionality. In the example of openelec, if one has no need for the application you listed why would one want them utilizing resources, if functionality is not needed in the kernel, why include that functionality? I dont think anyone, or at least I never have, made any claims that the linux used in the openelec distribution being used for other off the shelf applications.

So if your point is openelec may have less process competing with system resources then a general purpose distribution of an OS,that is likely a true statement. It would also be likely true to then assume, if system resources are constrained in that environment, this can have an impact to application performance. All of this is irrelevant, as what I was demonstrating in my original post was MQ2 running in a Atom/ION environment to be used as an example of if it is "struggling" or not. Which I will let the observer of the video determine on their own, based on their own perspective. My opinion is, based on the configuration I documented, it works well based on my expectations. I am sure I can build a configuration that it would not work well in too. Please feel free to post your own video showing a configuration that concerns you, so you can demonstrate your point, with out such data your statement are purely conjecture.

Actually, i think that`s what me meant by "full blow OS" (or at least that`s what i reffer to when i use the term "full blown OS"). A desktop operating sistem like Ubuntu/Windows 7/OS X etc. that provides underlying services and APIs for a broad range of applications, OpenELEC being the opposite, an OS designed to provide support for a specific app, or a small range of specific apps.
claypigeon Wrote:my thumbnails and art files are located on a shared SMB drive and library is on a centralized MySQL database, not the local file system based database
This is *exactly* the setup I'm looking for! You wouldn't happen to have a step-by-step guide, or perhaps just a general list, of how to configure OpenElec to utilize a central MySQL and centralize fanart and such, would you?

Thing is, I'm a Windows professional, but pretty much clueless on Linux, and from what I've read this setup cannot be done from within the XBMC GUI but only by manually editing "certain files" Smile

My Mediaserver is usually sleeping (S3), so I need OpenElec to WOL it automatically when it boots - but it seems to me that the WOL plugin you download from within XBMC isn't automatic: I had to click the WOL app manually to wake up the server. Now, with a centralized setup, will this cause trouble, as OpenElec is unable to connect to the DB and SB shares on the sleeping server?

Would it be better to let OpenElec utilize a central MYSQL+art on my central NAS instead (which is always on), and then just let the movies etc. stay on the media server? I recon the DB+art wont necessarily have to run on the same server on which the actual mediafiles are located?
Innocence Wrote:This is *exactly* the setup I'm looking for! You wouldn't happen to have a step-by-step guide, or perhaps just a general list, of how to configure OpenElec to utilize a central MySQL and centralize fanart and such, would you?

Thing is, I'm a Windows professional, but pretty much clueless on Linux, and from what I've read this setup cannot be done from within the XBMC GUI but only by manually editing "certain files" Smile

My Mediaserver is usually sleeping (S3), so I need OpenElec to WOL it automatically when it boots - but it seems to me that the WOL plugin you download from within XBMC isn't automatic: I had to click the WOL app manually to wake up the server. Now, with a centralized setup, will this cause trouble, as OpenElec is unable to connect to the DB and SB shares on the sleeping server?

Would it be better to let OpenElec utilize a central MYSQL+art on my central NAS instead (which is always on), and then just let the movies etc. stay on the media server? I recon the DB+art wont necessarily have to run on the same server on which the actual mediafiles are located?

Off the top of my head I dont have the links to the guides, but there are a few different guides on how to do this.

do some searches to find the guides, but regardless break the problem to steps.

You can do the shared thumbnails and MySQL server as fully independent activities.

Before you start figure out file sharing strategy, it is critical you understand this as the absolute network path to file must be consistent for all xbmc clients in a shared configuration. this path is stored in the shared database and each client has to access the content the same way. This is also important for the thumbnails as that path+filename are used to create the hash for the filename of the thumbnails.

Personally I would put my shared thumbs file share, content file share, and mysql database on the same host, as you need all of them to be up at the same time for your xbmc clients to work.

IMO you dont need a NAS unless you want/need a NAS for NAS type functionality. my server is my office desktop PC running win7 64, I have 9Tb of disk in it, 8G of ram to minimize page faulting performance problems that was happening around 4g, with a 1.8ghz quad core phenom cpu (this htpc stuff is not cpu intensive, unless you are doing things like transcoding). This pc while being my office workstation it is also my SMB server, MySQL server, SickBeard and SABnsbd servers, I just kept adding disks as I added content, when I add a new drive I create a new share and add that share to my sources.xml.

Yes you will need to do a little work in linux, for your openelec clients, you will need to create a CIFS file share (that you can actualy do from windows as openelec creates a share for the configfiles and you can do a lot of the work on a windows PC if you are more comfortable with that) The one thing that you cant do is create the symbolic link for the thumbnails for that you will need to ssh in and create use the ln command. All the other editing can be done from a windows pc if you must ;-) through the smb share to the userdata directory and the configfiles directory.

In theory WOL could work but maybe I am too old school I think my server should be up all the time, to much interdependency and potential software timeouts while waiting for magic packets to wake up sleeping servers. Might be an interesting experiment, but I would want to build some test systems up first before I tried to do it for real. I am happy being able to put my light weight clients to sleep, I need my server up to do other server things anyways.

Everything is in the guides that are out there, if you have a question when you try to do it send me a PM if I have the time I will see if I can help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon MQ2 on an 330 Atom/Ion - The Movie0