Need help setting up SMB share over net
I just bought an ATV2 and setup XBMC on it for my brother and would like to be able to set it up for him to share my Nas (buffalo link station) over the net but I'm not sure how to do this from my location.

My friend was able to set up his osx xbmc to share my nas over the net so it should work but I don't know the path for the folder.

Would it be the same with just my ip in front?

locally it is smb://LS-CHLFF4/SHARE/MOVIES

so would it be smb://111.111.11.3/LS-CHLFF4/SHARE/MOVIES

My brother can barely turn on his computer so I'm hoping to set it up for him and give it to him ready to go, any help would be greatly appreciated.
if 111.111.11.3 is the ip-address of the Buffalo named LS-CHLFF4 the correct syntax would be smb://111.111.11.3/SHARE/MOVIES.

If you want to do that over the internet I would strongly think about another solution. To make THAT work, you would have to expose the Buffalo directly to the internet. Thjis is a huge security risk.
If you are connecting over a VPN, the syntax would be fine.

Hope that helps
Umtauscher
First thanks for the info and follow up question, is it a risk even though there are user names and passwords for the buffalo?

It's set up with ftp and I asked my friend to test the ftp but he told me he was able to add it as an smb source for his Mac which surprised me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help setting up SMB share over net0